PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Turning for Christmas - Pic

Dennis Peacock
11-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Howdy,

I know I've been missing around here for a while but I've been rather busy at the day job and trying to get this computer desk done AND get all the LOML's give away Christmas gifts done BEFORE we visit family and friends in Alabama.

I don't have pictures of EVERYTHING I turned, but I do have a couple of pics of at least 2 of the 3 bowls I turned and I turned several small confetti lamps for gifts as well. It was sure nice getting back on the lathe again and Thanks to Travis and Jim K for ribbing me about not being on the lathe in so long. I just didn't realize how much I missed turning.

Any way, here is a Cherry bowl and a Maple bowl. Both are about 8" across and 3" tall. Finish in Natural Watco, Wipe-on poly and rubbed but not buffed.

The cherry bowl has two limb inclusions on it and I decided to leave them for added interest and contrast to the outside of the bowl.
The Maple bowl, I decided to leave the bark inclusion on it to add some color contrast to the outside of the bowl.

Thanks for looking and Happy Thanksgiving to each of you!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Beautiful bowls Dennis. Reminds me of one that resides in my livingroom!:)
My wife's Christmas list is getting longer too! I spent the day turning bottlestoppers and tomorrow is pen day.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-19-2006, 5:59 AM
Great looking bowls Dennis, I understand the "Day Job" thing and wish I had more time in the shop. Looks like Alabama is going to be the recipient of some beautiful stuff. Best to you and yours this Holiday Season.:)

John Hart
11-19-2006, 7:22 AM
Nice bowls Dennis! I'm not going to be able to make anything for Christmas this year. First time in 20 years!!:( Oh well...next year maybe. You have a good Thanksgiving too. :)

Dennis Peacock
11-19-2006, 9:25 AM
Nice bowls Dennis! I'm not going to be able to make anything for Christmas this year. First time in 20 years!!:( Oh well...next year maybe. You have a good Thanksgiving too. :)

John HART!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! You have been missed!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've got more turning to do, but it will be after Thanksgiving.;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Awesome Dennis. Fit and finish is great.

Jim Ketron
11-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice Bowls Dennis! Those will make some awesome gifts!
Glad I could help:D Just don't be slacking again and your ribs wont hurt as bad;)

Paul Engle
11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice bowls Dennis, I really like the cherry one. Say you weren't in the ASA back in the early 70"s were you? Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours !!! ... _._

Corey Hallagan
11-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Going to be beautiful gifts Dennis. Nice job.

Corey

John Hart
11-20-2006, 7:52 AM
John HART!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! You have been missed!!!!!.....

Ya'll must love pain and suffering ;) I missed this place too. :)

Ed Scolforo
11-20-2006, 1:20 PM
Two beauties there, Dennis. I like what the bark inclusions added to the bowls. Ed

George Conklin
11-20-2006, 2:25 PM
Howdy,

Finish in Natural Watco, Wipe-on poly and rubbed but not buffed.

Nicely done as uaual, Dennis.

I'm curious about the finish as you described. You put a wipe on poly after the Watco? What is the purpose of the poly?

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2006, 3:40 PM
I'm curious about the finish as you described. You put a wipe on poly after the Watco? What is the purpose of the poly?

Thanks

George,

Since these bowls are "users"....I wanted them to have a little exterior durability. ;) So some wipe-on was used.