PDA

View Full Version : My Shop and Some Recent Doin's

Dave Hale
11-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Starting off with the Shop first. In a two-car garage with enough room for one. :)

Here's the main workbench area. Dust collection overhead, Drill & Bandsaw (going for sale soon) and the tool chest. Those wire shelves are great for getting things out of the way!

Next is the Craftsman (yeah, I know) TS with the Incra Fence and Joinery system. Did PALS for getting the blade parallel to the table, had to cut the Incra rails :( in the back for the blade guard/splitter. Router table with WoodPeck router lift and DW router.

Left side has the Jet DC, Jet Air Filtration, 6" Jointer, 12" Miter saw (with mobile stand) is hidden on the floor behind the plywood.

First big project, for the shop's benefit, was a mobile cabinet. Plans started out of book, don't remember the name of it, and modified for height so I can use it as an outfeed table for the TS. Plenty of storage. Next for it is a fold-down extension for the back side. Never enough workspace, right?
[5039850399

Projects in the next post, I think.

Dave Hale
11-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Next is a couple of projects. This resizing of pictures is a pain!
Simple little stool for nephew's 1st b-day. 6 inch pine glued up together. Incra Joinery system used to make perfect box joints. Legs are cut at a 5-degree angle. No other support. Ultimate test was taking my weight (250 lbs!) without breakage. Some of you may remember me asking about glueing up joints this tight. I was worried swelling might split the wood.

Second item was a Franklin chair for Mom. Seems she was still upset that I took the stool I made in 8th grade woodshop when I moved out! I'm 45 now, been out of the house for 25 years and she commented on it 2 years ago. :D Some Pine book I bought had the plans. Unfortunately, the plans were wrong and some time was spent, behind a closed garage door, 'dancing' on panel with a routed dado that was off by 1 1/2". :o Found I don't have much patience for finishing work, prefer making sawdust to finishing it off. Have to get better at that.
All in all, I'm pleased with the result and I have some MDF templates if I get any more requests. Lotta mistakes, but I'm the only one who knows, right? :)

As you can see, I'm still just beginning my journey. Thanks to my Grandfather, who's no longer here, I got the bug many years ago. Just took a while to get settled and start my own 'practice'. ;)

Thanks for looking.

Travis Porter
11-19-2006, 9:31 AM
Nice shop, although a bit full, but who's shop isn't? I do like your tool storage cabinet. I need to make something like that myself.

Lori Kleinberg
11-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Mistakes. What mistakes? :confused: I don't see any mistakes.;)
Thanks for sharing.

lou sansone
11-19-2006, 11:35 AM
nice shop. the stool is a nice functional design
best wishes with the next project
lou

Randal Stevenson
11-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Second item was a Franklin chair for Mom. Seems she was still upset that I took the stool I made in 8th grade woodshop when I moved out! I'm 45 now, been out of the house for 25 years and she commented on it 2 years ago. :D Some Pine book I bought had the plans.

That has always been a project I wanted to build, but NEVER knew the name of it (certainly hard finding plans without it). Thanks

Larry Heflin
11-19-2006, 7:58 PM
Second item was a Franklin chair for Mom. . . . Some Pine book I bought had the plans. Unfortunately, the plans were wrong and some time was spent, behind a closed garage door, 'dancing' on panel with a routed dado that was off by 1 1/2". :o

That's funny! I'm sitting here at my desk with that very book in front of me. It's The Essential Pine Book by John McGuane and Megan Fitzpatrick. I bought it yesterday because it looked like it had some good projects to do with my 15 year old son with some relatively cheap wood. The Franklin chair and the step stool are both right there. It's a good heads up that there are some errors in the plans. It might save us some time. Great pictures of the projects in the book though.

Larry

Dave Hale
11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Larry,

That's the book. Bought it for the Franklin Chair. All the other plans I saw on the web were very plain, full sides, no curves.

Error is in making the dado for the first step, distance from the bottom or top, I don't remember. I think I did one side from the top and the second from the bottom. :) Real bright, huh? Different days. Have to put everything up every night to get the car into the gara... I mean shop.

I'd also recommend saving cutting the curves on the sides until after the dado is done and the sides are split into their halves. Much easier to clamp and straighten up (top to bottom) without the curves. Also, don't make the bottom step until you've split the sides and cut the curves. No way, if you're like me, you'll have the exact split measurements, with the curve that the plan has.

Next stool I make I'll try the 5 degrees all the way around like the plan says. Ran out of time and I was afraid I'd screw it up and my nephew wouldn't have anything from me for his 1st b-day.

Rennie Heuer
11-20-2006, 8:28 AM
Dave,

Very nice work. I really like the stool. I still have the one my grandfather made for me over 50 years ago! It's great when we can make something that will insure a little piece of ourselves will be around for others to enjoy for generations to come.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-20-2006, 9:42 AM
Dave,
I really like the chair. That's another book added to my want list.

Jerry Strojny
11-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Looks like you got things working real good for you. Nice job on the projects and shop. Time to make more dust!

Dave Hale
11-20-2006, 3:36 PM
Thanks for all of the kind comments. My niece is coming this week for T-day. After me making her cousin the stool, I'm sure she'll have some ideas for my next project!

I'm thinking of moving the Incra fence to a SawStop. Probably overkill for my current needs, but the safety factor is intriguing. Good idea or not?