PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Grouse!

Michael Morgan
11-18-2006, 5:52 PM
My land joins my fathers and he has about 50 acres and a real long driveway, He has been telling me about this grouse that won't leave him alone, it follows him everywhere as long as he is at home or up and down the driveway. It will chase you when your in the truck and fly into the windows! I was down there today and sure enough so was the crazy grouse, he chased me up the driveway then followed me to the front door and almost came in the house. My father talked to someone at the grouse society and they came out and took a bunch of pictures of it and wrote an article, they say that some young males claim an area and try to drive anyone out anyone in that area (usually 10 acres or so). They told my dad his only option was to move:D I took a pic with my camera phone out my truck window
http://www.imagebee.org/images/8063Grouse.jpg

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 8:07 PM
Cute birdie! They are actually quite beautiful birds....despite the territorial attitude of this one, your dad is fortunate to have it around! IMHO, being a bird person and all that... :)

Charles McKinley
11-20-2006, 4:48 PM
Hi Michael,

Small game season is comming if it isn't already here. Grouse can be very hard on windows this time of year as some of their food supply has fermented. They have broken three windows over at Mom and Dad's. Where are you in W. PA?

Robert Mickley
11-20-2006, 8:16 PM
in my best Homer voice,,mmmmmmmmmm Grouse :D

They are good eating.

Michael Morgan
11-21-2006, 7:15 PM
Hi Michael,

Small game season is comming if it isn't already here. Grouse can be very hard on windows this time of year as some of their food supply has fermented. They have broken three windows over at Mom and Dad's. Where are you in W. PA?

Charles I am between Cranberry and Evans City, I knew that Grouse sometimes get "drunk" and do crazy things but this one is just very very territorial, you can go there anytime of the day and he will show up immediatley and even peck at your feet and pant legs.

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 8:13 PM
in my best Homer voice,,mmmmmmmmmm Grouse :D

They are good eating.

But this one is pretty much deep into "pet" status...'wouldn't be good eating in that respect. The fact that it will come right up to people to peck at their feet and pants legs is cute. If it were here on my property, I'd be "playing" with it every day!

Yea, we're bird people...two inside and hundreds outside, although the outside birdies only love us for the food we provide. Come to think of it, the inside birds happen to like that feature, too...but they also like head scratchies and telling us what to do. (literally...they talk and sign...)

Mark Pruitt
11-21-2006, 8:59 PM
Hmmm.....seems to me that this is not a very good week to be a bird.:eek: :D