PDA

View Full Version : Sofa construction..

Mark Singer
11-18-2006, 5:16 PM
I started my clients paduak sofa and it is moving along very well. I tried to take photos of some important things...gluing up legs from 8/4 using lots of pressure to insure a tight seam, Then legs were square on the jointer as one long piece and then cut square on the bandsaw. Then they were mortised using a slot mortiser on the MM Elite S. The frame stretcher were also morised. By taking the time to layout a dead centered mortise it allows a lot of flipping and reversing options. I know there are a couple of kickback threads now on SMC...I already have Board Buddies on my knew SawStop ..I use just the rear one for normal ripping and both for dados or slots as in the tenon stock. The Board Buddies keep the piece down and also against the fence...the rollers only turn one way....you can walk away and the piece will not kick back even in the middle of a rip. The photos also show the top and bottom of my auxilary table for my Agazzani bandsaw....it takes just a couple of minutes to install using 2 clamps and a roller stand . I used a stop and spacer block to repeat muliple mortises precisely . I used my Fast Track Miter gauge and a sliding bevel gauge to shape the legs on the bandsaw. At the moment i have only about 8 hours in the piece...it seems very simple ..since i made it before and it really is a simple piece to make.

Mark Singer
11-18-2006, 5:20 PM
I know you like pictures;)

Mark Singer
11-18-2006, 5:27 PM
Yup...here you go/......

Mark Singer
11-18-2006, 5:30 PM
:eek: What more..

Per Swenson
11-18-2006, 5:36 PM
Way to go Mark,

It would never cross my mind to build a sofa.

Plastic dust collector bag, duct tape and packing peanuts,

maybe a bean bag chair for me.

Per

Ben Roman
11-18-2006, 7:07 PM
Way to go keep the pics coming... looks like the sawstop is getting a workout too.

Ben

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 7:58 PM
Cruisin' Mark!! Great start on this one...and all that pretty looking red dust from the Paduk, too... :D

Mark Singer
11-18-2006, 8:11 PM
I ripped a piece of 16/4 paduak with the SawStop and I made it through without the saw or breaker going off! The blade was buried and I had to flip it to cut the last inch... I must say, you are not compromising when you chose the SawStop....it is a fine cabinet saw. Probably the best I have used to date! Paduak is nice to work with...occasional splits...planes nice, Denser than mahogany ...not as hard as wenge or shedua or hard maple.

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 8:21 PM
Nice job Mark. One of these days I'm gonna get me a slot mortiser. Sure looks like a very, very handy machine!!

t

Roy Wall
11-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Mark -

Those board buddies: Do all the screws in the aluminum rail go thru the mdf "spacer" and into the SS fence? Secondly, on the thin rip where you use two "buddies".....do you lift the front one and push thru with a stick as you get near the end of the cut?? Do you find more accuracy for thin rips by using both?

Great photos!!

Mark Singer
11-19-2006, 1:41 AM
Mark -

Those board buddies: Do all the screws in the aluminum rail go thru the mdf "spacer" and into the SS fence? Secondly, on the thin rip where you use two "buddies".....do you lift the front one and push thru with a stick as you get near the end of the cut?? Do you find more accuracy for thin rips by using both?

Great photos!!

I tapped into the fence tube and screwed a baltic birch nailer on. Then the track mounts to the baltic birch with #10 wood screws. On the track are phenolic grooved mounting plate from Peach Tree Woodworking. The thumb screws allow you to quickly move the Board Buddies. The typical operation of ripping calls for just the back one. Any short pieces will be safely secured from kickback,. Using both is great for dados...etc. The buddies are $39 the phenoilc plaes another $10 and the track about $10...you should definatley use it! Safety and more accuracy!

John Timberlake
11-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Great looking design. What finish and uphostery will you use? Will you try to keep the padauk from darkening? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark Singer
11-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Today I mortised the arms at the angle of the sloped back. To acomplish this I used the Festool router and guide rail...I used thumb screw stops to set the limits. A upcut spiral was the bit used. Then Ryan stopped by and we ripped the back to contoure it. I moved the fence on the and saw to the down hill side...to do this you need to move the hardware to the opposite side on the fence fixture. This way gravity is pushing in your favor. The cutting should be done at the table surface and not the top of the board. Then I mortised the back on my slot mortiser and did as dry fit. Finally I managed to get the base glued up. The diagnol clamp is to square it...

Mark Singer
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
more pics..file:///Users/mark/Pictures/wegner/IMG_1320.jpg

Ryan Singer
11-20-2006, 1:10 AM
Hey Dad, That Was Fun. Thank You For Helping Me Too.
Love You, Ryan

John Renzetti
11-20-2006, 5:52 AM
Hi Mark, Great job, thanks for showing the pictures of the progress. This project must be keeping you in great shape as I can imagine you running around that carcass during glue up for checking this and that.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
11-20-2006, 9:32 AM
Oohh...the deadly "dad and dad" combination in the shop!! :D :D :D

'Lookin' good, Mark. The paduk is very rich looking and with this design, you get to see a lot of it.

John Schreiber
11-20-2006, 12:16 PM
That sounds like a great project Mark. Could you post a few pictures?

Just kidding. :rolleyes: Very nicely documented. Solid wood, solid joints gonna be solid furniture. Will you give an album to the client so they can see how their baby was made?

Mark Singer
11-20-2006, 12:37 PM
That sounds like a great project Mark. Could you post a few pictures?

Just kidding. :rolleyes: Very nicely documented. Solid wood, solid joints gonna be solid furniture. Will you give an album to the client so they can see how their baby was made?
John,
that is an excellent idea! I am making many pieces for her and she would love the album... She feels they are unique one of a kind pieces...except the sofa is 2 of a kind ....I have the first in my living room...

Dan Larson
11-21-2006, 4:37 PM
Mark, you make this look way too easy... can't believe you made so much progress in a weekend!

I know that I'm jumping the gun a little here, but how do you handle final surface prep with Paduak? Is it handplane-able, or do you have to resort to mainly sandpaper & scrapers?

Dan

Mike Spanbauer
11-21-2006, 6:28 PM
Very cool Mark. Any chance we could get a sneak preview of the existing sofa so that we know what you're aiming for? Or are you going to leave us in suspense :D

mike

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 8:37 PM
Afew more pics ...its all assembled glued and I am detailing with scrapers...a utility knife blade , the LN 102 and sandpaper....joints came out tight. Things like a subtle crown to the back and crowning the leg tops is happening...it adds a bit of the human touch.. Sometimes a bit of soul instead of absolute perfection is just the thing...

Roy Wall
11-21-2006, 8:38 PM
Mark -

It appears that you mortised the two lower side stretchers 3/16" to 1/4" off center (to the inside) to create the reveal for the "end sofa sides'....keeping those mortises centered...is this correct???

Also, what degree of recline did you give the back? Is there a certain range of recline you feel is most comfortable?

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 8:47 PM
The incline of the back is about 11 degrees off 90 degrees or 79 degrees. The off set is intentional. I lowered the mortising table about 3/16" and by fliping the other piece created double or a 3/8" reveal or offset. Paduak is tricky to plane....some boards are great and then they will tend to tear out as the grain reverses...I used a scrapper and sandpaper...a 102 plane is nice for detailing the corners ...rounding and chamfering a little.

Mark Singer
11-21-2006, 8:57 PM
the current sofa i made pics...

Jim Becker
11-21-2006, 9:43 PM
Yes, folks...that sofa is comfortable, too. Been there...enjoyed it!

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 9:54 AM
The Paduak has wonderful grain patterns. There was checking and hairline cracks. I filled these with hide glue and sanded a slurry to fill in the cracks. The 4 stretchers were planned flush with the leg tops and then crowned very slightly to the edge. It is better to leave tht stretchers a touch high and then flush. T

John Bush
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi Mark,
Absolutely wonderful design, artistic joinery, and a great pictorial. Thanks for sharing.
I was wondering if you, as an architect, create your designs on paper with very specific shop drawings, or as an artist, "wing it" with rough sketchs and artistic zeal. Thanks again. John.

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Mark,
Absolutely wonderful design, artistic joinery, and a great pictorial. Thanks for sharing.
I was wondering if you, as an architect, create your designs on paper with very specific shop drawings, or as an artist, "wing it" with rough sketchs and artistic zeal. Thanks again. John.

To answer your questio....I started with this sketch

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45931

Robert Goodwin
11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
the current sofa i made pics...

Do you get any inspiration from Sam Maloof? I remember a table that attaches to a wall if I remember right that had that same sculpted feel as alot of Sam's pieces. I am a big Maloof fan, so I may just be seeing that in my own eyes. Either way, you have a beautiful house and some wonderful pieces.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bill VanderLaan
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Mark-

Nice work. I was curious how you keep the seat cushion in place? Is it a series of slats? Solid wood panel? Netting of some sort? I am sure you will get to it eventually, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Best-

BVL

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 1:47 PM
Do you get any inspiration from Sam Maloof? I remember a table that attaches to a wall if I remember right that had that same sculpted feel as alot of Sam's pieces. I am a big Maloof fan, so I may just be seeing that in my own eyes. Either way, you have a beautiful house and some wonderful pieces.

Thanks for the pictures!

This Table?

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3558&d=1071714760

I love Maloof's work , but the sofa is based on the ancient "Opium Bed" design s of Asia. Ralph Pucci has one and Christian Liagre another. The Liagre one is similar ...the back is solid and veneer on his. Pucci's legs are a bit strange and the arms seem weak

Dave Richards
11-22-2006, 2:23 PM
Thanks Mark. I enjoyed seeing the first one and it is fun to see this one coming together.

Robert Goodwin
11-22-2006, 2:31 PM
This Table?

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3558&d=1071714760

I love Maloof's work , but the sofa is based on the ancient "Opium Bed" design s of Asia. Ralph Pucci has one and Christian Liagre another. The Liagre one is similar ...the back is solid and veneer on his. Pucci's legs are a bit strange and the arms seem weak

That would be the one. If I remember right there was a lamp also. Yea, the couch does not follow maloof, but you have other pieces in view that seem to share some concepts, but go further and add your own style. Keep up the good work!!!!! I enjoy your pictures.

John Shuk
11-22-2006, 8:12 PM
Quote Mark Singer:
Pucci's legs are a bit strange and the arms seem weak.

I had to laugh at that line.
My boss is named Pucci.;)

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 9:13 PM
Traditional Opium beds....the roots of the design...if you will:rolleyes:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50453335/Opium_Bed.jpg (http://eastart.en.alibaba.com/product/50151894/50453335/Antique_beds/Opium_Bed.html)

http://www.artnet.com/picture.asp?date=19980925&catalog=9398&gallery=111523&lot=00398&filetype=2

http://www.getang.com/html/..%5Cimage%5C662_8.jpg

lou sansone
11-22-2006, 10:04 PM
nice work mark.. thanks for taking time to take all the photos and post them for us to enjoy
lou

Scot Ferraro
11-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Beautiful work!! I have plans to build a sofa after my kitchen remodel so please keep the pictures coming...great inspiration! Thanks!

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Quote Mark Singer:
Pucci's legs are a bit strange and the arms seem weak.

I had to laugh at that line.
My boss is named Pucci.;)
Apologize for me:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
11-23-2006, 2:32 PM
This morning I went in the shop and with my usual suspects: a thin scrapper, a utility knife blade, a sanding block with 150 and another with 220...a Clifton mini shoulder plane the LN 102, a small chisel...synthetic steel wool in grey and white...and a few other favorites began detailing.... removing bits of glue..shaping a corner so it looks soft and feels great... A straight edge is also important to chack for straight and check for "soft" where straight is too "hard" to appearance. A couple of sanding fids for corners and now it starts to become a piece that is alive! This stuff takes a little time....after the cutting , measuring and planing comes the detail and this is often the most important stage...it is what shows and there are no short cuts. Now this is real important if the basic stuff ...joinery , proportions , and general workmanship are good....this is really important...Sometimes my wife comes in and says "That doesn't even show...its covered" In my mind it shows and it needs detailing:confused:

Mark Singer
11-23-2006, 2:34 PM
a few more....

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 2:45 PM
You know Mark, even without the final finish, this piece positively GLOWS! Beautiful! The detailing you're doing is incredible.

Mark Singer
11-23-2006, 3:12 PM
Jim Thanks!

Much of the success of a piece is on the wood chosen for a coponent...an arm , for example. Little tricks are key....how to book match solid wood without resawing? If the piece has a darker side...a stripe or pattern...go with it...cut and pair it together...the seem disappears and it appears to be one solid plank...The arms were done this way..

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 3:23 PM
Much of the success of a piece is on the wood chosen for a component...an arm , for example. Little tricks are key....how to book match solid wood without re-sawing? If the piece has a darker side...a stripe or pattern...go with it...cut and pair it together...the seem disappears and it appears to be one solid plank...The arms were done this way..

Indeed. The very first step in the finishing process is the selection of the material that goes into the project. Choose poorly and the best finishing techniques in the world will not make the piece have a chance at any level of outstanding differentiation.

lou sansone
11-23-2006, 6:13 PM
Jim Thanks!

Much of the success of a piece is on the wood chosen for a coponent...an arm , for example. Little tricks are key....how to book match solid wood without resawing? If the piece has a darker side...a stripe or pattern...go with it...cut and pair it together...the seem disappears and it appears to be one solid plank...The arms were done this way..

nice trick mark... that is one I will save
lou

John Schreiber
11-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Your description of detailing and being aware of the softs and the hards is very interesting. I don't have much experience with fine furniture, so I'm not quite clear what you mean.

I once read a description of how to shape edges which will be in contact with users in reference to boat interiors. It said that you should imagine the contact with the fixtures and the wear which will naturally occur and preshape the wood so that it will conform to the contact and minimize the wear. The author made much of the way railings and handholds are placed and shaped so that they fall naturally to hand and are comfortable over time and in a variety of conditions. Is that part of what you are describing? Help me understand more.

Mark Singer
11-24-2006, 1:05 AM
Your description of detailing and being aware of the softs and the hards is very interesting. I don't have much experience with fine furniture, so I'm not quite clear what you mean.

I once read a description of how to shape edges which will be in contact with users in reference to boat interiors. It said that you should imagine the contact with the fixtures and the wear which will naturally occur and preshape the wood so that it will conform to the contact and minimize the wear. The author made much of the way railings and handholds are placed and shaped so that they fall naturally to hand and are comfortable over time and in a variety of conditions. Is that part of what you are describing? Help me understand more.

John,
The design of any piece starts with a basic form and geometry.....from this the smaller forms...such as individual parts, edges, corners, intersections of surfaces, the corner of a leg...the arm your hand will touch can support and satisfy two criteria...the first is the overall geometry and form( is it rounded or sharp ) of the whole and the second is the human factor, touch , the feel, a bit of intuition about the user....a position they may sit in, etc. Now with the idea of satisfying the 2 criteria , the woodworker needs to become sensitive to these things....shapping, softening or holding a hard line to emphasis a line or form. This is seen in Maloof's chairs as he rolls soft edges to a hard line and in Krenov's in details that support his simple designs....the flair of the leg...the cove of the cabinet base. Using simple tools as I mentioned can create such details... I look for such things in furniture as I do in buildings....it is design. The rounding of the arms on my sofa was done on the tablesaw at about a 75 degree angle. Then I used a few rasps to round the edges. This is never as precise as a roundover bit....but at the same time it is much better...it conveys that it was built by hand and the slight variations make it more humane....vs machine....and the skill that a hand tool imparted on the piece. A difficult concept to convey ...but a start.

Mark Singer
11-24-2006, 9:15 AM
John,
I thought of a few examples to further explain the point. The work of Brancusi is a good example...edges transition from hard to soft and there is a definite defined form rather than an amorphic shape as in the work of Gaudi or Rodin....

http://www.diacenter.org/kos/images/brannewbsm.jpg

http://www.fullcaffeine.com/foto/brancusi.jpg

The examples show the softness and the hardness contrasted...
In furniture there is the ability to celebrate the nature of 'solid' wood as you see the grain continue around surface...going from soft to hard...
It further expresses the process and captures the handmade spirit in which it was made..

Now the detail shown in a Maloof rocker conveys the same feeling in its fine detail and soft to hard edges...

http://americanart.si.edu/1001/2002/03/images/maloof_1b.jpg

Mark Singer
11-24-2006, 6:36 PM
I mounted the rabbeted rail trim that holds the deck slats in place....then a little more scraping and Daly's Ben Matte Oil and a sun bath to darken te Padauk. In time the sun will brown the wood like yesterdays turkey (a little metaphor);) as shown in the last picture that is the sofa I made about 5 years ago and gets lots of sun..:rolleyes:

Dave Shively
11-24-2006, 7:26 PM
Mark, Great pictorial so far! Can't wait to see the finished product along with the
rest if the pictures. I personally like working with paduak. How do you like the orange
sawdust?

Dave

Jason Tuinstra
11-24-2006, 7:31 PM
Mark, fantastic work. Proof positive that you're the man.

Dave Shively
11-24-2006, 7:50 PM
Sorry Mark I should have looked farther into the posts. Looks like you finished and it looks fantastic!

Dave

Mark Singer
11-24-2006, 7:52 PM
It i not quite finished....3 more coats of oil and the slats for the deck..which are easy...

Jim Becker
11-24-2006, 8:30 PM
Looks great, Mark. Has the customer picked out any upholstery ideas yet?

Mark Singer
11-24-2006, 8:34 PM
Looks great, Mark. Has the customer picked out any upholstery ideas yet?
Jim,
She hasn't seen it yet....I image she will get a linen or maybe leather???
Thanks!

John Miliunas
11-24-2006, 9:09 PM
Yes, folks...that sofa is comfortable, too. Been there...enjoyed it!

Yeah, what Becker said! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
11-24-2006, 9:12 PM
Mark, as always, your craftsmanship is right on par with your design! That's coming out beautiful. Oh, and thanks so much for the blow-by-blow on its construction. Really a good insight into how things are supposed to be done! Great job, my friend! :) :cool:

Al Navas
11-24-2006, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the pictorial, Mark. I have enjoyed it very much!

Mark Singer
11-25-2006, 1:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments! This is really an easy piece to make....and I have made the same design before ....So I could measure off the old model;)

This has been kind of a warm up for a more detailed piece, or pieces in this case...2 Krenov type cabinets....these are more work....so I may take some photos....if it goes well:confused:

John Miliunas
11-25-2006, 9:33 AM
....if it goes well:confused:

Oh, fer cryin' out loud, Singer! You're an architect, an artist and a stupendous woodworker. Now you're trying to break into being a comedian, as well??? :confused: :eek: "...if it goes well" my foot! :mad: Anything you touch turns to gold. I know it, you know it and the rest of us out here know it! :) Now, quit with the witt and get on with the pics! :p :D :cool: (Hey, that sentence had a nice flow to it, didn't it? :D )

Mark Singer
11-25-2006, 11:11 AM
John,
Nothing looks worse (to me) then a poorly proportioned or so-so crafted fine cabinet like a Krenov....Even though I have built a few....I am very capable of screwing this up! Now If it comes out good , I post it and if you don't see it....you know what happaned:eek:

Mark Singer
11-26-2006, 3:44 PM
I am leaving the deck natural with no oil...this wood tends to bleed into the fabric making ir red and this may help:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 5:06 PM
Wow...that really pops, Mark!