PDA

View Full Version : Assembling an HTC mobile base - quick question

Damien Falgoust
11-18-2006, 2:17 PM
I know a bunch of folks here have HTC mobile bases. I just got one (for a saw I haven't even ordered yet; rumors of long HTC lead times are apparently greatly exaggerated). I'm having a little trouble with one part of the assembly.

Specifically, I'm having trouble getting the bolt that holds the brake pedal over the fixed casters to go through the bolt hole. The bolt is a few inches long and has threads only at the very tip -- I can "screw in" the bolt into the bolt hole up to the end of the threads, but after that it looks like the bolt gets a smidgen wider and just will not go through that bolt hole.

This is the case with both bolts and both wheel mounts.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking about whipping out the drill and widening that hole a little bit, but want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything before I do so.

Al Willits
11-18-2006, 2:30 PM
Not sure of what you have but...how about..??
1, Did you try sticking the bolt in from the other direction?
2, Does it thread enough in to put a nut on the other side? Maybe it gets wider to keep from squeezing the frame together?
3, As usual I don't have a clue..

Just a thought.:)

Al

Damien Falgoust
11-18-2006, 2:41 PM
Tried it in both directions -- the one indicated by the instructions and the other way. :) Neither way worked.

And no, the bolt threads through a hole on one side of the wheel mount, goes through the brake pedal, then through another hole on the other side of the wheel mount, where you put a locking nut onto it. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 2:43 PM
It has been a couple of years since I put one togeather but I sure do not remember having that problem. Everything fit together easily. Maybe there is some new mod on the new ones.

Need input from new HTC mobile base owners.

Sounds like that they may have put the wrong bolts in the package.

Damien Falgoust
11-18-2006, 3:09 PM
FTR, everything else has gone together very smoothly. It's just this one thing that's causing the problem. And the base seems very solid and well put together.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 3:20 PM
Sounds like that it is time for the drill and bit as you mentioned.

Damien Falgoust
11-19-2006, 1:02 PM
It's amazing how many of life's little problems can be solved by hitting them really hard with a big hammer. This mobile base is now fully operational.

Kent Fitzgerald
11-19-2006, 3:10 PM
It's amazing how many of life's little problems can be solved by hitting them really hard with a big hammer.
That just became my desktop quote.

David G Baker
11-19-2006, 3:21 PM
If that won't fix it get a much bigger hammer.