PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 10" mitersaw? Might want to consider this one

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Last year my 35 year old radial arm saw died and I thought that I would not miss it because that only thing that it did well was crosscut. As it turns out I really miss that so I have been shopping for a good mitersaw. Day before yesterday I received a Mikata S1013FL that I ordered from HeavyDutyTools.net. Last night I had a chance to set it up for a test run. I cannot tell you how impressed that I am with the unit. Even the blade, which I had seen mentioned before, is first class which is unusual for a stock blade. Smart move by Makita! Everything was dead on right out of the box and it works smooth as glass.

I am posting this as I think that it is a really good deal. $408 delivered plus if you go to the Makita web site you can download a Mail-In Redemption form for a 6390DWPE 18V Driver-Drill Kit. The drill sells in the $150 to $160 range.

The first photo is of my old Makita that is as solid as a rock but limited in what it can do. The second and third are self explanatory and the fourth is a 45 degree cut in two 8 1/2" wide boards as the saw was set out of the box.

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Looks good, Alan. You're ready to go!! HDT has another great deal...And you scored!! Enjoy!!!

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I've had my eye on that one for a while. Unfortuanately the pocket book hasn't obliged yet. Do you like the vertical handla ok? At times I wonder if a horizontal one might be better, but i'm sure it what one is used to. I even built a box bay window into my shop just for the slider!!! Enjoy it! Jim.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Glenn Bradley,

I got this email but I do not see your post here. Do not know what is going on.

Dear Allen Bookout,

glenn bradley has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to
entitled - Looking for a 10" mitersaw? Might want to consider this one - in
the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum of Sawmill Creek.

This thread is located at:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46098&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
You must have gotten the last one. I went to thier site and they have
no Makita miters listed ;-( I assume they'll get more.

In any case, here is the link. It is kind of hard to find on their site. You have to look at the specials section. When you insert the code on that page it will give you the discounted price.

https://www.heavydutytools.net/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=495

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I've had my eye on that one for a while. Unfortuanately the pocket book hasn't obliged yet. Do you like the vertical handla ok? At times I wonder if a horizontal one might be better, but i'm sure it what one is used to. I even built a box bay window into my shop just for the slider!!! Enjoy it! Jim.
Jim,

I like the vertical handle. Of course, like you said, I am used to it as that was what was on my old radial arm saw that I used for 35 years. The thing that I am not used to is pushing instead of pulling. Old habits die hard.

I hope that you get to fill your box bay window soon. You will love it.

Allen

Thanks Jerry!