PDA

View Full Version : Big Lathe

Curt Fuller
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
This picture came from the Oliver website. The caption reads..

"Oliver #18A Special Woodturning Lathe, 32" Swing: Bed 62 Feet Long. Designed and built by the Oliver Machinery Co. on special order for the United States Government. Completed September 1919."

I wonder if it's still around somewhere and can you tell if the 19th guy from the right is Andy Hoyt?

Frank Fusco
11-18-2006, 10:24 AM
An it was used for what? I'll guess, ships masts.

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2006, 10:34 AM
'Taint me. Called in sick the day that pic was taken.

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Perfect for that "turning party" you were planning...plenty of room for everyone while making the world's biggest bonker! :D :D :D If you have the moxie to do it, however...

John Miliunas
11-18-2006, 1:02 PM
Hey, now that looks like a great pen lathe! :D :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2006, 4:39 PM
Bet that's how they make telephone poles!

Joash Boyton
11-19-2006, 12:28 AM
biggest I've seen yet... This (http://www.alabamawoodturners.com/pictures/bigone.htm) "lathe" has the biggest swing:D Do you know what "lathe" that is?

Curt Fuller
11-19-2006, 1:17 AM
After finding that picture I got a bug to find out why they would make a lathe with such a long bed. Turns out it was for turning ship masts. In the process I also read an article that said Norfolk Island Pine, which is native to Norfolk Island that's somewhere out in the South Pacific and which now days makes some incredible bowls and such, was brought to the Hawaiian Islands and planted by Captain Cook. Thus the name "Cook Pine". And the reason was for ship masts, to repair and replace the ones broken in Pacific storms.

Andy Hoyt
11-19-2006, 9:07 AM
Curt - not disputing your findings, but I'd think that NIP as a ship's mast wouldn't be too smart given the unique nature of the trees's knot formation, structure, and frequency.

Dennis Peacock
11-19-2006, 9:31 AM
Yup....that's a big one for sure. Sure would make a nice bowl or a very deep hollow form.

Curt Fuller
11-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Curt - not disputing your findings, but I'd think that NIP as a ship's mast wouldn't be too smart given the unique nature of the trees's knot formation, structure, and frequency.

I think you're right, the NIP wouldn't be the best tree for something like a mast. But I got the impression when I was in Hawaii that the NIP or Cook Pine was the only tall straight tree growing there. They don't even bend in the wind that's constantly blowing. And, Captain Cook preceded the introduction of Eucalyptus to the islands. I wonder if he pulled into Waikiki one day and after checking out all the chicks in bikinis and having a nice luau he went looking for a pole to fix the boat, didn't find one, and thought "Man, it sure would be nice to have some of those Norfolk Island Pines growing here when you need one."

ps You know how the internet is, full of interesting stuff and lots of info if you can trust it.

Gary DeWitt
11-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Re: original post - I was thinking metal lathe and the part might be propeller shafts for large ships!

NIP - A most strikingly straight tree that towers over most everything else in Hawaii. According to Wikkipedia, they were thought to be a replacement for the timbers England was using for masts from new england(supply dried up after the war for independence!), but were found to be not resiliant enough.