PDA

View Full Version : Good western MI wood source

Mike Parzych
11-18-2006, 8:39 AM
On the way back from a trip to Michigan I stopped by a sawyer in Decatur, MI:

http://www.hickoryandoak.com./

and would highly recommend them. I had called ahead to see if they had any air dried cherry since I prefer the richer color of air dried over kiln dried. Thanks to a fold down rear seat I was able to get 50 bf in my Taurus and it was excellent. All 8" wide and absolutely flat stock. Since it hadn't been kilned I got it for $2.85 bf! No pics, but believe me - it is great stuff.

When we went to the storage building to total the bill I noticed a stack of equally good color cherry and asked if it was kiln dried and it was. Since they air dry first and then quite evidently carefully kiln dry it, it doesn't take on the "washed out" look of most commercially available cherry. Same goes for their walnut, which I plan to get when I go back to MI in December.

I'd seen that they make lumber runs to Chicago on this forum, I believe, but they also will ship material. In fact, they had several hundred feet of sassafras they were going to ship to Washington.

Decatur, MI is a bit far from any big cities, but they're only about 6-7 miles off I-94 west of Kalamazoo.

It was a pleasure to do business with nice guys...and get a nice product

Brent Grooms
11-18-2006, 10:04 AM
I will second that. Steve is making a wood run to AnnArbor the second week in December for those who may be interested...

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I have bought from him before. You're right. Nice man and good wood @ a fair price...