PDA

View Full Version : P&N tools

byron constantine
11-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I have been thinking about getting a new bowl gouge and the p&n looks
pretty good. I found a place that has good prices but does't have the
12m(1/2") gouge but has the 16mm (5/8"). What i am asking is, is the
5/8 gouge too big to use on my Rikon? I believe 16mm is a bit smaller
than 5/8". Besides i like unhandled tools as i make my own handles.
Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks, Byron

Mark Cothren
11-18-2006, 12:11 AM
I have four P&N gouges - love 'em... I have the 5/8" and 1/2" both - use 'em both about the same amount of time.

Mark Pruitt
11-18-2006, 7:36 AM
Byron,
One thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers size their gouge by the span across the flute whereas others use the span across the entire tool. I'm sitting here looking at a P&N 3/8" spindle gouge, and the entire tool is 3/8" in diameter. My 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge, OTOH, is 1/2" across the flute, making the overall diameter more like 5/8". So, in reality a P&N 5/8" gouge might actually be what you're considering as a 1/2" gouge. I think it would be best to inquire further to verify this.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-18-2006, 8:28 AM
Yep! Like mark said. I have a 1/2" P&N bowl gouge and when it arrived I thought they make a mistake. I ordered a 5/8" and received what I expected. I like the P&N stuff alot,but have settled in on Crown stuff. Just personal preference I guess.

Curt Fuller
11-18-2006, 9:09 AM
What i am asking is, is the
5/8 gouge too big to use on my Rikon?

I don't think it's too big, but even if it is a little big and aggressive you can control that by just not leaning into it so hard. If you like the feel of a big gouge though, one like that will last a lifetime and who knows how big of a lathe you might end up with someday.

Martin Braun
11-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm looking at the P&N line for spindle gouges myself. The cheapest I found was Rich Johnson out of CA. Have you found a cheaper source Byron?

I'm planning on making my own handles as well. All the factory made handles that I have, have loose ferrules anyway. I think it's cuz of the low humidity out here.

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 4:20 PM
I use 5/8", nee 1/2" bowl gouges for 95% of my work, including the small stuff.

byron constantine
11-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm looking at the P&N line for spindle gouges myself. The cheapest I found was Rich Johnson out of CA. Have you found a cheaper source Byron?

I'm planning on making my own handles as well. All the factory made handles that I have, have loose ferrules anyway. I think it's cuz of the low humidity out here.

Martin, Rich is the one that i am dealing with and you are right he has the
best price. I wanted a 1/2" (12mm) but he does't have any or keep
stock on them cause low sales. He sayes all he uses is the 5/8" gouge.
You don't order online, you email and tell him what you want he sends
you the tool and you send him the money. Trusting i like that. Anyway i
put in my order for a 5/8" gouge. Byron

Joash Boyton
11-19-2006, 12:22 AM
I have a 3/4" bowl gouge, that I use for 90% of all turning projects. It is great.... If you are going to do bigger turning (8"+) Than I reccomend a nice big one. As for brand, I have found that if it is HSS, they are all the same, don't like the handle it came with? Turn your own...

:)

Martin Braun
11-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Byron - Thanks for the info. I will be getting the spindle gouges from him. If they work out well, then I will also let my brother know about him. He's got a lot of wood for handles, and so cost-wise it will be effective for him as well.

By the way, I second all that's been said with respect to bowl gouges. 1/2" flute is a very versatile tool. I've used it on my delta midi and my pm3520 and it's served me well. For roughing bigger work on the 3520, I do have a 3/4" bowl gouge - a Mike Mahoney "wood beater" as he calls it. But that's really only necessary on the bigger blanks cut from the log.