PDA

View Full Version : Workbench: Buy or build?

Matt Newton
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
I decided to upgrade my shop workbench from a catch-all for junk that occasionally has woodworking done at it, to a real woodworking bench. I'm a little overwhelmed at all the choices out there as well as the range of prices. :eek: I'm wondering what the conventional wisdom out there has to say about buying vs building. My main focus of woodworking has started to lean toward the neanderthals, but I still like to use tools with tails.:D Is The Workbench Book a good enough reference or will it just add more things to think about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Newton

Rick Levine
11-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Here we go again. I'm having the same dilema. I decided to buy a bench because I don't have the time or skills, yet, to build one of the quality I want. Anyway, I just sent an email to 'tim@workbenchdesign.net' asking his opinion of the Laguna woodworking bench. You can get some insight into some of the benches from here: http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rreadymade.html

Phil Winn
11-17-2006, 11:04 PM
The current issue of Fine WoodWorking has a review of workbenches.....
Phil

Steve Schoene
11-17-2006, 11:07 PM
The Fine Woodworking that arrived at my house today has a review of quite a number of manufactured benches.

While building is a tradtional apprenticeship exercise, whether you choose to buy or build depends largely on personal goals--there is no right or wrong about it.

Allen Bookout
11-17-2006, 11:19 PM
You can get some insight into some of the benches from here: http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rreadymade.html
That's a good resource Rick. Thanks!

For you guys that have built, what are your experiences regarding cost of building vs buying the same quality bench?

Allen

Terry Hatfield
11-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Build it...please!!!!!!!!!

It is not that difficult to build a good bench. I made one from a solid core door and laminated 2X4's to begin with and it worked great. I still use it. I then built the "keeper" after I aquired more skills. Personally, I would never even consider buying a bench but that's just my opinion.

t

and...The Workbench Book was a huge inspiration for my bench. Great book!!!!

Seth Poorman
11-18-2006, 12:34 AM
In my opinion if you have tools to do it..... DO IT !;)
I couldnt live w/ myself if I bought A WORKBENCH, thats why I woodwork,DUH:rolleyes: To Build or not to build ..:D
Come on guys ,take the plunge,go out and buy all the maple you need and start joining and planing........

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 12:40 AM
In my opinion if you have tools to do it..... DO IT !;)
I couldnt live w/ myself if I bought A WORKBENCH, thats why I woodwork,DUH:rolleyes: To Build or not to build ..:D
Come on guys ,take the plunge,go out and buy all the maple you need and start joining and planing........

Bears repeating. :D

t

John Bush
11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Like Terry, I built mine using a recycled solid core door with a removable 1/4" masonite working surface. I framed it with maple using finger joints and encorporated an end vise with a row of holes for dogs, and a 9" record side vise. Vises were ~$150 and the other materials were extras hanging around the shop. This was to be a prototype for the "real thing" to be built later, but that was 12 years ago. Guess this is the real thing.. Good luck.

Seth Poorman
11-18-2006, 12:45 AM
You Got It Terry !!!!!

David Rose
11-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Hey t!

I think I stuck the first chisel in your current one. :eek: :D But I don't know that I ever saw the 2x4 bench. Is it against the West wall?

David

Build it...please!!!!!!!!!

It is not that difficult to build a good bench. I made one from a solid core door and laminated 2X4's to begin with and it worked great. I still use it. I then built the "keeper" after I aquired more skills. Personally, I would never even consider buying a bench but that's just my opinion.

t

and...The Workbench Book was a huge inspiration for my bench. Great book!!!!

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 1:02 AM
Hey t!

I think I stuck the first chisel in your current one. :eek: :D But I don't know that I ever saw the 2x4 bench. Is it against the West wall?

David

Yup...the one on the west wall..............

Laminated 2X's for the base. The top is the solid core door with oak edgebanding and 1/4" melamine top. My tablesaw outfeed is made the same way. Makes a pretty darn good bench actually.

t

David Rose
11-18-2006, 1:07 AM
Yup! I remember now. My current setup table is a solid core door. They make a good flat starting point.

David

Yup...the one on the west wall..............

Laminated 2X's for the base. The top is the solid core door with oak edgebanding and 1/4" melamine top. My tablesaw outfeed is made the same way. Makes a pretty darn good bench actually.

t

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 1:14 AM
BTW....if ya'll haven't already seen it a thousand times, here's the one David so loves so stick chisels in. :D :p

I'm telling you folks, there is no more satisfying project for a woodworker than building a bench.

t

David Rose
11-18-2006, 1:43 AM
Yeah, and even though it looks better than our kitchen cabinets, Terry claims to USE it! :eek: I guess that I have seen stuff sitting on it at least. :D

David

BTW....if ya'll haven't already seen it a thousand times, here's the one David so loves so stick chisels in. :D :p

I'm telling you folks, there is no more satisfying project for a woodworker than building a bench.

t

Brent Grooms
11-18-2006, 5:21 AM
I was faced with the same question. If you add in the cost of your time to build, along with the materials, it comes out as a wash. I decided to build because...

I could make the top as thick as I wanted. I was using take off doors for makeshift temp 'benches' and found that I like a wider bench than most that are offered. I can make a removable tool tray. It gets really cold here in michigan during the winter so doing any projects that would require alot of finish work are out until spring (unless I can get some heat into my gara...er shop... Santa are you listening??) I got a smoking deal on some oak that will be used in the base and I just ordered the material for the top. Yes you might be able to buy a top but by building it, you are in control of everything, no modifications required.

My most satisfying projects have been those that I have completed for myself.

lou sansone
11-18-2006, 6:03 AM
the workbench book is pretty good and I used it for ideas for one of my benches.
here is a photo of it in my shop. Top is Beech and the base and drawers is curly maple

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18204

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28572

enjoy

lou

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 6:55 AM
Nice bench Lou!!!!!!

t

scott spencer
11-18-2006, 7:17 AM
For me, one of the beauties of wwing is being able to build my own stuff....I get alot of satisfaction putting together my own bench, router tables, cabinets, etc., and also find it easier to justify the cost when it's a fraction of buying one. I understand that not everyone's got the time, but a bench is good early project that shouldn't pose much difficulty. It'll also give you the opportunity to include the features you like best.

Mark Pruitt
11-18-2006, 7:22 AM
Earlier this year I set out to build my workbench. I completed the leg assemblies and purchased a laminated maple slab for a top. I got distracted and have been focused on other things--mostly turning--for the last 6 months, while my "workbench" sits unfinished. If I had it to do again I would just buy one and get it over with. I started out thinking like Seth, that I could hardly respect myself if I bought one instead of building one; now it's no longer about self respect, it's about just wanting the thing done but being too busy with other tasks. THIS (http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7725) is the workbench I wish I had bought. The cost is not much more (if any more) than what I have tied up in materials and time.

John Stevens
11-18-2006, 7:28 AM
I couldnt live w/ myself if I bought A WORKBENCH, thats why I woodwork,DUH:rolleyes:

To each his own. I prefer to use my limited shop time making furniture, not tools and shop accessories. I also tend to agree with Brent Grooms, although I suspect that if you include the value of your time, it's cheaper by far to buy a workbench than make one (or to buy workbench parts and make a semi-custom bench). The two variables here are the dollar value you place on your time, and the dollar value you place on your ego gratification in being able to say you made it yourself.

Neil Lamens
11-18-2006, 7:42 AM
Hey Matt:

I don't know,.......I've got a nice shop that's been called "modest", that cranks out some nice stuff. And although I love the nice woodworking benches, mine are made from a recylced lumber. For legs on my "home base" work bench, I used the corner posts of an old coal bin from one of me and the mrs remodel jobs, my lathe bench and finish bench have 4x4 cedars posts from a loft my roommates and I constructed in undergraduate school.

As much as I would love one of the cabinetmakers benches, your woodworking style will dictate what works for you. My benches look like they can't get it done, but they do. I work the entire shop not just the bench, sometimes my outfeed table is a work bench.

Build it.......but it doesn't have to be the statue of David.

Dongil Kim
11-18-2006, 7:54 AM
> I decided to upgrade my shop workbench from a catch-all for junk that occasionally has woodworking done at it, to a real woodworking bench.

Hi Matt,

Jacques-Audre Roubo said "The bench is the first and most necessary of the woodworker's tools". But if it is such an important tool, how one can build his dream workbench(which is a big project!) without a workbench? I guess it is a part of reasons why you consider to buy one from the market. An answer to this dilemma is to build a simple but robust workbench first and build your dream workbench next, IHO. I built mine based on a beginner's workbench by Bob Key(His website is no longer available though). It is made of 2x4s and 2x6s, and a Record 52ED serves as a tail vise. Very simple to build in a few days and costs less than $100. You may build your dream one with it later, like Terry and Lou did. ;)

Happy woodworking!

Jeremy Gibson
11-18-2006, 8:33 AM
I'm on my first workbench, but my "keeper" is still in my mind. I laminated three 1x4's for the legs, stringers, and feet making the middle longer - instant tennon. Where I needed a mortise I cut and spaced the middle board to match the tennon. The top is three layers of 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" hardboard top skin. I also wrapped the top with hardwood to create a recess for the hardboard. Benchdog holes finished it off. It's not perfect and I still want to add storage below with drawers, but it is a better surface than I had before.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 8:57 AM
Dongil Kim,

I like that! How did you attach the top?

The one thing that I will have after using a cheap bench for a while is good vises. The ones that I have now are worse than junk and I learned my lesson.

Dave A. Jackson
11-18-2006, 9:02 AM
I built this bench using a bench top from PerfectPlank. The aprons and vise were still alot of work for a beginner, but it was alot of fun and I learned alot. I got the plans from workbenchdesign.net also.
Dave50316

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 9:10 AM
I can go either way on this one...ultimately, I believe one should build one or more workbenches to their own personal specifications. But there can also be a good case for a purchase to get started when time is limited and the necessary tools/skills are not yet available. In that situation, the 'buy' shouldn't be the "it slices, it dices" 1500 lb monster, but a modest bench that can serve as an auxiliary bench later or be passed on to another beginning woodworker. I started out with a simple Sojberg that I scored on sale at Woodcraft. When I moved to my present bench, I sold the Sojberg to another 'Creeker for an attractive price.

That all said, there is a lot of satisfaction that can be gained by building your own bench, even when you are a novice woodworker...and it's a great opportunity to learn new techniques, especially hand tool skills, in the process.

John Piwaron
11-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I vote for build.

It's not always about price. You say you don't have the skill yet, therefore you want to buy, but what about the projects you'll construct upon your store bought bench?

Building a bench is an excellent learning opportunity. I've built two. The first was made of a bunch of 2x4s laid face to face to get a "laminated" top and then the leg structure under it. The second is the design from Woodsmith magazine around issue #50.

Both were excellent self taught experiences. Both turned out well. My first bench is now in my garage holding up various garden implements and my torpedo heater. The second is in my "studio" ;)

I'm about ready for a new bench.

This is the thing - your work will tell you what kind of bench you need. You may have noted from replies to this thread and "The Workbench Book" that there's lots of ways to hold things. All are dependent on the work being done.

Personally, I'd like a board jack and hold fasts. An end vise with a double row of bench dogs would be good too, but I don't know that I'd make that much use of it. A tail vice that's open on the side would be excellent too. I have a tail vice now but it's only good for the single row of bench dogs I have. And of course there's the matter of a face vice. Some people like a patternmaker's vice.

You see - lots and lots of options. Building it is the best way to learn the techniques of stock preparation and joinery. Learn by doing. Learn which features are useful to you and which are not.

Even if you buy this time, eventually you'll want something different.

BTW, I didn't let cost of the lumber get in the way. It's all part of the education.

John Piwaron
11-18-2006, 10:29 AM
To each his own. I prefer to use my limited shop time making furniture, not tools and shop accessories. I also tend to agree with Brent Grooms, although I suspect that if you include the value of your time, it's cheaper by far to buy a workbench than make one (or to buy workbench parts and make a semi-custom bench). The two variables here are the dollar value you place on your time, and the dollar value you place on your ego gratification in being able to say you made it yourself.

I think many overlook the instructional value of fabricating their own bench. What good comes of jumping into your projects without the skill to build them with? Making the bench is a useful first step in acquiring those skills.

As to the value of time, well, personally I have more time than actual cash lying about for my hobby. I feel that the time I put into the construction of my bench is "money" well spent.

And when it's done, it's done. The bench will be with you for many years.

As to ego gratification - that comes with anything you build. There may be more gratification with a well executed project using skills built on the shoulders of previous projects. In other words, every project will be better than the one before it if only for the reason of learning from one's own mistakes and learning new techniques. Building a bench serves those two things.

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I love building my own benches, router tables, etc. There's nothing in WWing more satisfying than building your own BUT in the case of my workbench, I ended up buying a top from Woodcraft (Sjorberg) and then building my own underpinnings etc. When I researched tops, it seemed many opptys to fail were there: perfect glue joints, leveling, etc. At the time I didn't know how to sharpen and use a jointer plane so I opted for a purchased top. I respect everyone who builds and levels his top from scratch. Just my 2 cents..Have fun either way

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Revisiting my thoughts, one thing that can seriously make building faster and easier is the use of layered MDF for the field of the benchtop...heavy, lots of mass and very flat with proper support. Two or three layer is common. Several of the magazines have done bench versions using this technique over the past few years.

Dongil Kim
11-18-2006, 7:02 PM
I like that! How did you attach the top?

The one thing that I will have after using a cheap bench for a while is good vises. The ones that I have now are worse than junk and I learned my lesson.

Allen,

The top has two holes underneath matching two big dowels on the top bearer of the base, and attached to the base by gravity. Rock solid.

A workbench should have fuctional vises as you indicated. I attched some pictures showing how my vises work. They are not my ideal solution but work. :rolleyes:

Reg Mitchell
11-18-2006, 7:15 PM
odd how we all get into woodworking and then buy things we can build. If you have the money lieing around buy it. If you don't builde it.
I went through the same delima a few years ago. I had the money but thought. ....Whats the use of buying all this woodworking equipment and then buying something I could build.
Its not a great bench, or is it a clasic bench. Its sturdy. Its heavy, and in the years down the road i will aquire the skills to build one of those sexy beasts that ppl pay lots of money for
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/shoppics007.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/shoppics012.jpg
:D

lou sansone
11-18-2006, 7:51 PM
nice bench reg
lou

Sam Chambers
11-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Matt, I built mine from the New Yankee Workshop plans. It was my first woodworking project, and has served me well for the first 6-7 years in the hobby. I'm starting to want something better though, especially after seeing some of the benches others have built.

Your bench doesn't have to be a work of art. It just has to be functional. So, if you need something quick and cheap, build a base out of construction lumber, use a solid core door or MDF for the top, mount a vise or two, drill some bench dog holes, and you've got a workbench!

Robert Goodwin
11-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I will throw my hat in the ring for build. My skill level improved greatly when building my first workbench. And like other have said, there is a satisfaction about building your own tools. And I cannot think of a more important tool.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 11:01 PM
OK you guys. Based on a couple of statements here I just ordered "The Workbench Book" and I hope that it is good so that you can stay out of trouble. Terry is really in the hot seat as he said that it was a great book. Lou said that it was a pretty good book so he will only be held partly responsible. Stay tuned.

jonathan snyder
11-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm planning to build a workbench soon. I am in need of a better bench with better vises.

I bought the Scott Landis Workbench book, along with the The Workbench by Lon Schleining & Making workbenches by Sam Allen. I think the Schleining book is as good or better than the Landis Book. It is published by Taunton, so the photography is excellent.

Jonathan

John Kain
11-19-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how a woodworker buys a workbench made of wood.

Maybe I can see if a guy/gal needs a bench for a shop in order to continue making a product that supports their income. Maybe.

Is it just me? Why buy a bench if the reason to own one is to make things out of wood?

Alan Turner
11-19-2006, 4:20 AM
I am a fan of self built benches, having built 13 of them. However, if you don't have rather large tools to handle heavy, wide planks, it is a lot of difficult work. For 10 of the 13, I used commercial butcher block (hard, vertical grain maple) for the tops, and it has worked well. It is the top which is the difficult part to handle without some fairly serious iron, unless you are into a workout with handplanes. As to that, it requires not only a fair amount of energy, but also a fair amount of skill, and that is not for everyone.
As Jim Becker menitoned, and Steve WArgo has proved, quartersawn mdf with internal supports is an affordable, flat alternative.

John Renzetti
11-19-2006, 8:26 AM
Hi, Just catching up here. Definetly build your own bench and wall cabinets. It's very rewarding, you get to use all your hand and power tools. I built this bench and base/wall storage cabinet about 8 yrs ago. My wife commented that the furniture in the shop was better than the furniture in the house.
take care,
John

everett lowell
11-19-2006, 9:04 AM
Hi Matt, I enjoyed making my own bench- I was'nt sure if I could do it, but I gave it a shot anyway, I thought I am a woodworker- give it a shot.I think it came ouy o.k. ,I made it out of 2x4's-it's not a masterpiece,but I learned from it and having a cabinetmakers bench really helps me with my projects. to be truthful I did;nt buy one because I could'nt afford one! This cost me a total of 250.00 dollars. just my 2 Cents.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
11-19-2006, 10:49 AM
...quartersawn mdf with internal supports...

LOL! Good one, Alan!!

John Piwaron
11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
My wife commented that the furniture in the shop was better than the furniture in the house.
take care,
John

Isn't that how it's supposed to be ;)

John Stevens
11-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I think many overlook the instructional value of fabricating their own bench. What good comes of jumping into your projects without the skill to build them with?

Back in '86, when I first started trying to learn woodworking, I made my first workbench, a very simple, traditional one. But I was using my step-dad's shop, which was equipped with a table saw, planer and jointer. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to try to make a solid-wood workbench without already having a few thousand dollars of machine tools and a flat working surface. In my experience, it's very frustrating to try to do any sort of woodworking (other than carpentry) without already having a flat, stable workbench.

In additon to the traditional workbench, I've built two non-traditional ones (large versions of the Festool MFT). I learned from all three projects, but what I learned was mostly relevant to...building workbenches. When my shop was finally equipped to make simple furniture, I still had to make prototypes of the furniture to get decent results. And when I began to make prototypes of the furniture, that's when I really began to be able to compare different materials and ways of fabricating and joining parts.

Allen Bookout
11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
LOL! Good one, Alan!!
I agree. That was a really great demonstration of subtle humor. I noticed it but made me just raise my eyebrows and go on as I was not sure what I was reading.

Fred Voorhees
11-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I would never consider buying a bench. For cripes sakes, you are a woodworker and building a workbench is straightforward carpentry. I built mine out of 2X4's 2X6's and 4X4's with a 2X6 work surface. That was eventually replaced by a double layer of 3/4" MDF and topped with masonite. The table measures six foot by six foot and gives me plenty of room to work on things. AND, the thin IS NOT moving. Some guys mention the time involved in building a table as if it were something to grin and bear. The way I see it, it was a joy and pleasure to build the thing. I got what I wanted, in both size and utility and by no means did it EVER approach what I would have had to spend to get something near its equivalent.

Roy Bennett
11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
I have recently finished my bench from Wood mag plans. Pics attached.
Total cost was about $520, including ~$120 for 8/4 Ash used for the base, $150 to Lee Valley for stretcher bolt kits and vice hardware, and $250 to Grizzley for the factory made top.

From what I've seen, a bench of the same quality would cost at least twice that!

everett lowell
11-19-2006, 6:32 PM
Iposted in this thread earlier, but my pics would'nt upload!trying again.:rolleyes:

Steven DeMars
11-19-2006, 7:36 PM
Help, my local newsstand says they don't have . . . Did I miss it or is Louisiana slow in that regard too?

Please someone let me know what issue it is . . . October, November or December ?

Neal McCormick
11-19-2006, 7:40 PM
Mine came Friday

Bruce Delaney
11-19-2006, 8:47 PM
I applaud those who take on the challenge of building their workbench but I don't hold the dogmatic belief that everyone should go down this path. The decision of whether to buy or build is one based on what resources you have at your disposal (time, money, tools to dimension and machine the wood) and whether you consider the building a process simply as a means to an end or as an educational and satisfying journey. In the end, the decision of whether to buy or build is entirely yours.

Frank Fusco
11-20-2006, 9:41 AM
There were too many responses to this one. And a lot of good advice. But, as I see it, this isn't something that anyone can help you with. It boils down to what you want and what you want to do. It's purely personal.

Allen Bookout
11-20-2006, 9:44 AM
WAY TO GO FRANK!!!!!!!

I see the 2007 by your name.

Allen

Steve Sawyer
11-20-2006, 1:22 PM
The two variables here are the dollar value you place on your time, and the dollar value you place on your ego gratification in being able to say you made it yourself.
The variable that John neglects here is the sheer fun you'll have in building it!

And don't be put off by the "if you have the tools" question. I built my workbench when all I had was a hand plane, a table saw with a couple of blades (including a dado head), some pipe clamps and some chisels. I scored some hardwood dunnage that ranged from 4x4" to 6x6" that I resawed and trued up on the table saw into 2" square boards. I then cut slots for splines and spline material from some of the offcuts from the resawing and squaring, and glued up all of this to form the top. The legs were made from some oak railroad dunnage that I similarly salvaged using the table saw. Ditto one of the vices which was made from some maple dunnage. I think the only things I bought were one of the vice screws (I made the other one out of a 1" pipe clamp) some additional solid birch, and some hardware to connect the stretchers.

You can see a couple of shots of the bench on this page.
(http://www.stephensawyer.com/content/woodworking/Shop.htm)
I really had a blast making that bench (just wish it was a little heavier), and I think you'll have just as much fun - even if you don't save a cent over a "store-bought" bench.

John Stevens
11-20-2006, 2:36 PM
The variable that John neglects here is the sheer fun you'll have in building it!

Is there something intrinsically more valuable (in terms of fun, education or finance) in making a workbench than in making furniture? ;)

As I said in my first post on this thread, "to each is own." Ironically, my next project is an improved version of my shop-made large MFT. :eek: If I could only buy it instead of making it! I can't wait to get it done so I can move ahead with making more furniture.

chris fox
11-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I am a novice WW'er and in the same boat, need a bench. Currently I have a metal rail system from Rockler but its small and tends to hold planar, vise, etc. I built a 2 layer .75" MDF top and keep it polished with paste wax. It was meant for moving around in a garage and finishing a chair my father in law made for us. Its too low and has casters but a great all round bench. Now I am doing WWing and collecting tools I see the need.

A couple of issues back in FWW(not sure which one), there was a write up on building a bench entirely out of plywood (included cutlist too). It was a weekend project and looked sturdy. If time is an issue its worth looking into as a temporary.

Robert Goodwin
11-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Like others have said before it is all in your personal preference. This is no right or wrong answer. For me, building my bench gave me a lot of satisfaction, both in the process and in using the final results. But if the idea/process of building the bench is not interesting, then by all means buy one. For me, this is a hobby, and it is intended to relieve the stresses of the day and provide a means of expressing what little creativity I have that I cannot necessary express writing software in my day job. Others have different needs, so go with your gut. And make some dust!

Kurt Loup
11-21-2006, 1:01 PM
Help, my local newsstand says they don't have . . . Did I miss it or is Louisiana slow in that regard too?

Please someone let me know what issue it is . . . October, November or December ?

I received the Tools and Shops issue with the workbench review on Saturday.

Kurt

Here's my bench made of salvaged oak.

http://www.loup-garou.net/images/oiled.jpg

Craig Walls
11-21-2006, 9:28 PM
Well, here's my 2 cents worth....if you have the tools and could benfit from building your bench, why wouldn't you? Depending on the bench you choose, there'll be many different skills to learn/master....drawers, vises, the top, various joints.

I bought a maple top from Grizzly and built everything else. I used several different designs and picked and chose from each. The top was not flat and I made the mistake of drilling about 40 B-dog holes in it before checking it. (30" x 96").

Here are the features that have helped me lots:
1. Bench dog holes
2. Vice on front and side
3. Heavy so you can't move it when working
4. Large overhang for clamping
5. Cabinet underside with drawers and compartments(if it's not enclosed, it'll always be covered with sawdust/shavings)

I'd hazard a guess to say that if you build it, you'll be proud of it and glad you did. Craig

Don Boys
11-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I suggest you take a look at the Roubo workbench described in the Autumm 2005 Woodworking magazine. The issue may be sold out but it is availble on cd. Also take a look at the follow-up discussion on their blog.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/

Don Boys

Jim Young
11-25-2006, 2:10 PM
Seems to be quite a bit of negativity in this thread toward buying a bench. Just because a person is a woodworker and has the tools and ability, by far does not mean he/she needs to build every item in the shop. The reason I became a woodworker is so that I could make things for my family and others, not shop accesories and equipment. The time I have in my shop is very limited, this is not my source of income. I would like to spend that hour or two in my shop building things that benefit my family and friends, that doll chest for my 9 year old, that table out of a piece of shuffle board that was in the family for 50 years for a friend, that memorial keepsake box for the mother who lost her child, etc. Every hour that I spend on hop stuff keeps me from getting the "important" items done.

Just because a person doesn't want to build a shop implement is no reason to look down on them. Every one has their reason for doing certain things. We should understand that and respect it.

Getting off soap box now.

Allen Bookout
11-25-2006, 3:01 PM
Just because a person doesn't want to build a shop implement is no reason to look down on them. Every one has their reason for doing certain things. We should understand that and respect it.

Getting off soap box now.
Jim,

I have been watching this thread bit by bit and I did not get the same negative feeling that you did but I suppose that it depends on your situation. I am using a cheap purchased bench that is OK except the vises are a piece of junk so I am looking to see if I could build one with good vises and save some money over buying a good one. Time involved is another thing that is a factor.

For a lot of us a showpiece is not really a necessity but a really solid unit would be nice to have. I do like to look at the beautiful benches that some have build and respect what they have done.

It seems to me that money, quality, time and pride and how to juggle these factors is the question that is being bantered around.

I think that this thread is about how to juggle all of factors above rather than trying to put someone down. At least, I hope that is the case.

Good luck to us all.

Allen

Steve Sawyer
11-25-2006, 4:06 PM
Seems to be quite a bit of negativity in this thread toward buying a bench.
I'm going to echo Allen's comments, Jim - I didn't pick up any negativity. I think it's just that if someone is considering the decision to buy or build, those of us who have built our own workbenches (and greatly enjoyed the process) are just encouraging that person to take the plunge and build their bench. Clearly they already see some benefit in doing so.

I for one feel no inclination to criticize those that buy everything and concentrate on making furniture or objects d'art out of wood. We can't all get into every aspect of this hobby, and we pick and choose those that give us the most pleasure and that are within our means. Personally I love building tools - planes, miter gauges, fences, workbenches. It's a very different challenge from making furniture or cabinetry. Others get no enjoyment from it at all.

Different strokes...;)

Jeremy Yorke
11-25-2006, 9:45 PM
I agree with the most, if you build there is great sense of satisfaction that you will get. and if you build it, it will be corner stone of many project to com.

but.... what do I know? am just an 800 pounds gurilla :) :) :)

Brad Kimbrell
11-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Boy, I've got to agree with Terry and Seth - BUILD IT!

I am building the Lon Schleining version from the Tools & Shops issue of FWW from last year. It has the twin screw from Veritas on one end and I'm putting an Emerich-copy on the other end (pattern makers vise).

I had the pleasure of using a Lie-Nielsen bench at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking last year and I was hooked on a heavy bench! Nothing like shaping a Maloof sculpted rocker on a beast like that. It never moved no matter how hard I went after that rocker.

And with me being 6'6" tall, I am making my bench 40" tall rather than 36" to accomodate my height. No more bending over an uncomfortable bench for me!

I plan to add the cabinet below the bench after I'm done to put some extra weight in it and give me more storage - never seem to have too much of that anyway.

Good luck and yes, the Workbench Book is a very good reference to use if you want to take the "best of all worlds" and custom design a bench that fits the way that you work.

Allen Bookout
11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
This is always a good subject to get a lot of responses with because there is no "correct" answer. Just some good thoughts from one extreme to the other. The broad diversity in woodworking interest really can make some responses on any such subject seem like a personal attack on another. That's to bad!

I'm pretty lucky as I am right in the middle so I can take what I want from here and disregard the rest. Since everything here is just subjective it makes my choice easy. I might build----but then again I might just buy. Win - win it looks like to me. It will probably depend on whether I have excess time and some extra materials that are suitable.

I really do not think that it is all that important as long as you are satisfied with the result.

Allen

Cameron Reddy
11-26-2006, 12:31 AM
I bought an inexpensive bench from Amazon several years ago... when I had no skills at all. A year and a half or so ago I finally added on to it and it is now a serious bench.

Allen Bookout
11-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I bought an inexpensive bench from Amazon several years ago... when I had no skills at all. A year and a half or so ago I finally added on to it and it is now a serious bench.
Just when you think that you have heard everything another idea comes along. That is kind of the situation that I am in. Mine is a cheap but pretty good bench with a flat top and it is about the right size with crappy vises. I have knocked around the idea of buying a couple of really good vises but then I got into this idea of building or buying.

Thanks for pushing me along Cameron!

Jim Newman
09-12-2007, 3:06 AM
Kurt, what a great bench and it looks so great too!!! What are your dimensions for the top and base?

Kurt Loup
09-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Kurt, what a great bench and it looks so great too!!! What are your dimensions for the top and base?

Thanks. The top is roughly 6.5' wide by about 30" deep. The base is as large as I could fit taking the vises into consideration. Here are a couple pictures of the latest bench I am building. I haven't started on the base yet. I have a few more details to finish on the top. I have more pictures of the construction here http://www.loup-garou.net/workbench2

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/finishedtop-512x600.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/visescrews-450x600.jpg

John MacTire
09-12-2007, 4:00 PM
Hi Kurt,

I had a look at your website (great work), specifically the page for the first workbench you worked on. One question I have is how you attached the workbench top to the supporting frame.

Thanks,

John

Kurt Loup
09-12-2007, 5:36 PM
Hi Kurt,

I had a look at your website (great work), specifically the page for the first workbench you worked on. One question I have is how you attached the workbench top to the supporting frame.

Thanks,

John

Thanks John. None of the benches I have made have had the tops attached to the bases. The tops are heavy enough to stay put. If I were to attach them, I'd likely use a single lag screw coming up into the top from the bottom of the two stretchers.

Kurt

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 5:58 PM
I also found it difficult to decide on what I really wanted for my 'rest-o-my-life' bench. I decided to go with a 'next' bench that is very servicable but did not require months to build. One thing I did do is pick up a pair of vises that can be re-deployed to another bench sometime down the road.

I figure this will give me some years of service and let me refine my understanding of what I want in a bench. In the mean time I have somewhere to work that meets my needs. In a nutshell I guess that means I favor "build you own".

Allen Koriakin
09-12-2007, 6:13 PM
I picked up a Sjorberg bench for 500 bucks that I am sure I could not have built for the same price. The bench is the largest they sell in the woodcraft store and I finally have some dog holes to hold things down. The only bad thing was having to drive to Florida to get it. (I live close to Atlanta, GA)

Ray Knight
09-12-2007, 6:25 PM
I know this might be heresy, the classic wordworking benches are so gorgeous, so heavy, and so expensive, and not always of the size you need. on a more expedient, quicker, cheaper option is to pick up 1-2 used base cabinets at your local habitat for humanity resale store, add some non pivoting casters flush on one side, put top on it, drill for some dogs, add a vise or two, mark out some measurement grids, $30-60, 3 hours and you are done. Not an elegant piece of work, but gives me space to assemble restoration early 1800s window sashes, clamp up shaker chairs. I would love to build a nice classic woodworking bench for the craftsmanship sake, but right now I'll keep getting the shop outfitted. I just repainted 10 more habitat used cabinets for wall cabinets and storage, less than $300 for about 20 feet of solid cabinets. I'll stand back, put my armor on and take the slings and arrow of outrage. Ray Knight

Vijay Kumar
09-12-2007, 7:54 PM
Matt, last year I went through the same process an decided that it would be good for my skills improvement to build my own workbench. However it took me a long time to build it (I still have to mount my vises!) as it takes me with all the projects.

Did I enjoy building it? Absolutely. Did I save any money-- I dont think so. Did I build what I wanted--absolutely. Depending on your work efficiency and speed, and your needs on using the bench you may be better off buying one. There is a fellow on woodnet by the name of timgren who builds and sells really nice workbenches with emmert clone vises for $ 875 with pickup in Wentzville, MO or will ship it to you for $ 1050. I think for this quality of bench it would be hard to build something on your own for this price.

usual disclosures-- I have only seen the pictures and description of the workbench, and I am in no way associated with the seller.

Vijay

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 8:01 PM
I'll stand back, put my armor on and take the slings and arrow of outrage. Ray Knight

Not from me. Whatever works----works.

John MacTire
09-13-2007, 9:17 AM
Thanks John. None of the benches I have made have had the tops attached to the bases. The tops are heavy enough to stay put. If I were to attach them, I'd likely use a single lag screw coming up into the top from the bottom of the two stretchers.

Kurt

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

Richard Link
09-13-2007, 6:11 PM
Perhaps this has already been beaten to death but before you make your decision, I think you need to ask yourself two questions:

First, what type of bench are you planning to build? Are you talking about a functional, rough bench (i.e. made from a solid core door) or a traditional cabinet makers style of bench with a thick maple top, etc.

Second, if you are planning on building a traditional woodworking bench (like the ones in the Workbench book), what sort of access to cheap 8/4 hardwood lumber do you have? I think that it would be great fun and an excellent skill building exercise to build a monster of a cabinetmakers bench. But...hardwood lumber is not cheap. ....Unless you have an easy and ready source of 8/4 maple, beech, etc. that can become quite an expensive exercise. Without a great and cheap source of this material, I imagine that you can't do much better from a cost standpoint than many of the ready made benches out there building your own.

When I first started, I built a nice functional door-based workbench on the cheap. When I decided I wanted a more traditional bench for hand tool use, I looked into the options and got angina pricing out the mass of hardwood I would need. I ultimately bought a reasonably priced mass-market bench which has served my needs (if not my ego) for probably 1/2 of what it would have cost to build my dream bench. Now, if I had a neighbor with 400 board feet of maple he was trying to get rid of.....

Rick

Ted Baca
09-14-2007, 12:18 AM
One advanatge to building your own is you can set it up for your individual needs. Dog hole locations, Vise type and location, Height, sacraficial surface, etc., oh and cheaper too! Use that money to buy project lumber or a new tool.