PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal

Craig D Peltier
11-17-2006, 9:33 PM
Hello Sawmill Creek im a newbie.Havent worked with wood since 95. Before that I was a roofer for three years. Before that I was in high school I went to a vocational school back in Massachusetts an took 4 years of carpentry and got my degree in it as my academic degree.
I finally have my own house and have put together a wood shop. Two items yet to purchase are a router and table, i think im going to get that from rockler this weekend.I dont want to build a table right now,I wouldnt know what I like and dont like.
My other item is a table saw my budget is $550 so I was going to buy the Home Depot Ridgid table saw.Have heard great reviews about it. Just now though I found on craigslist.org seattle this item # 236222196 please search it once in craigslist seattle, please let me know if its a good deal.
10" grizzly 1.5 HP 110/220v $175.00

ANyone looking for a shaper in this area on craiglist, this looks like a great deal. #236363814

Thanks
Craig

Mitchell Andrus
11-17-2006, 9:43 PM
Welcome to the Creek Craig. Make use of the 'search' box. It's a useful tool.

Well, I buy tools based on two principals:

1. Safety first.

2. I buy tools I think I 'll grow into, rather than out of. Sounds smarmy but I've grown to hate buying "for now" and then later because the "for now" tool was crap.

If you can make it work for your needs, $175.00 is a good deal. Heck, if it comes with a decent blade or two...

Mitch

Charles McKinley
11-20-2006, 5:17 PM
Welcome Craig,

Check out the model number. If it is one of the better Griz machines with the cast iron extensions rather than the stamped steel I think it would be as nice as the Ridgid.

if it is as nice of a of a machine that is a lot of extra $$ for wood or other tools. Gota love craigs list.

Happy hunting.

Ted Miller
11-20-2006, 5:34 PM
Craig, I try to save up and buy the best tools I can get, I do not want to keep having to upgrade when project goes arry do to cheap tools, I live on craigslist and I purchased my cabinet table saw at 40% of the new price and this item may have had 10 hours on it. I know you have to pick up the items, but people are willing to work with you on prices due to them not wanting to ship things cross country. I check craigs list hourly, you just never now what people are going to list...

scott spencer
11-20-2006, 6:26 PM
$175 could be a great deal depending on the model and condition....even if it doesn't have all the goodies you'd like, there's enough budget left over to add some things, including a fence if it needs one. Find out a model number and request a pic. Some of Grizzly's older contractor saws had lousy fences (ie: 1022SM).