PDA

View Full Version : Any temporary substitute for a bandsaw?

Jeremy Gibson
11-17-2006, 8:45 PM
I'm building a deadblow hammer alla Wood Magazine and need to cut a curved slice from two sides of the handle. This would be a snap with a bandsaw, but I don't have one. The wood is Brazilian Rosewood, so just sanding it down would be way too hard, if possible at all. Is there anything that might be a workable substitute?

I've thought of the following:

Freehand carefully with a router table to get close to the line
Clamp a jigsaw inverted in the workbench vise and add a larger plate with 1/4" hardboard
Try to nibble it away on the tablesaw (ok on one side but problematic on the second side)
Ask here if anyone near Colorado Springs has a bandsaw and would like a visit from a creeker

Jim Becker
11-17-2006, 8:57 PM
Make a surface out of 1/2" sheet goods with a nice cleat that you can clamp into your bench vice. Arrange to clamp a jigsaw to the underside (inverted) with the blade exposed on top. Use a heavier blade if it needs to be longer to reach through the wood. (Like the heavier Festool blades)

If you can rough it out that way, you can then either pattern route it on the table to final form (making a jig to hold the workpiece safely) or use hand methods for the final shaping.

Then again...a 'Creeker visit is a nice idea!

Doug Shepard
11-17-2006, 9:03 PM
If you've got a disc sander (or even a clamped down belt sander turned upside down) you could mount the thing on a pivot and swing it through an arc to remove the wood. I think I'd still rough it first though. You dont need a lot of rosewood dust floating about.

John Hart
11-17-2006, 9:06 PM
A Hacksaw blade maybe? :confused:

Ben Grunow
11-17-2006, 9:23 PM
A coping saw or DA with 36 grit.

Ed Kowaski
11-17-2006, 10:25 PM
A Brazilian rosewood hammer?!.. <sigh> that seems so wrong to me

Jeremy Gibson
11-17-2006, 10:29 PM
A Brazilian rosewood hammer?!.. <sigh> that seems so wrong to me

I double-checked, and it's Murado, or Bolivian Rosewood. I don't suppose that helps any?