PDA

View Full Version : stripping brass

Jon Eckels
11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Ok so I went and took a job that I don't exactly know how to do. The job is to rebuild and refinish a mortise lock, dutch door bolt and door knocker.

I've got no problem rebuilding the lock, i've rebuilt lots of em. It's the finishing that I'm unsure about. All the parts are brass (well, the parts that will show are brass) so I was thinking about simply dipping them in some sort of stripper for a little while, and then buffing them out on a wheel with some tripoli. There won't be a final clearcoat, as the customer's desired finish is unlaquered brass.

My questions are simply: what kind of stripper should I use? I was thinking about just using rock miracle, but I'm not sure if it's too strong for this application. And what kind of buffing compound should I use? is Tripoli too rough? should I use a white compound?

Oh also, does anyone do refinishing on a regular basis that can give me an idea of how much to charge? I was just going to do time and materials. I don't know if hardware refinishers get a good buck otherwise. Thanks in advance.