PDA

View Full Version : Finished Walnut chest of drawers.

Rick de Roque
11-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I finally finished the Walnut Chest of drawers. This is to go with the Night Stands I posted in the following thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35145

The walnut was, again, from the same walnut trees I cut and dried myself. For the case construction I used was blind DT’s. For the drawer dividers I used sliding dovetails with the web frame using loose tendons. Solid wood panel back. Secondary wood is ash, with solid wood drawer bottoms. Graduated drawers with the finish of BLO, shellac with a top coat of Waterlox varnish. Moldings were attached using dovetail keys. I cut a rabbet on 3 sides of the drawer fronts with the bottom flush then used a round over bit for the drawer front detail. It is 51 ½” tall and 32” wide and 19” deep. I start on the desk that goes with this bedroom set next. Thanks for looking.

Rick

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/chestofdrawersfinished.jpg?t=1163781432)

Keith Beck
11-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Rick,

All I can say is, "wow!" That's some beautiful work. The nightstands are awesome too. Can't wait to see the desk. That's going to be one gorgeous bedroom set. How long did it take you to finish the dresser?

Keith

Jason Tuinstra
11-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Very nice! You did a great job on the wood selection. The walnut on the drawers really stands out. I always like the contrast of the dovetails with the darker/lighter woods. And the finished back is just the right touch. Nice job all the way around.

lou sansone
11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
fantastic work... the walunt is really outstanding. love the piece. did you use plans or photos of existing pieces ? I like the graduation of the drawers. How did you work that out?
lou

John Fry
11-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

The walnut's color and grain is stunning, and your workmanship and design is superb.

A job well done!

Dick Bringhurst
11-17-2006, 1:08 PM
Rick - Thats some very fine work. Dick B.

Rennie Heuer
11-17-2006, 1:22 PM
Really, really, really nice work! I clicked through the pictures 4 times!

Carl Eyman
11-17-2006, 1:27 PM
That is one of the finest pieces ever posted on the Creek. Something to be proud of.

John Schreiber
11-17-2006, 1:29 PM
That is an heirloom quality piece of work. To know that this was your project from the cutting of the tree to the finish on the wood must be a great source of pride. I hope you are walking with a bit of a swagger.

Roy Wall
11-17-2006, 1:31 PM
Rick -

Another OUTSTANDING effort!! WOW!!!

The construction, finish, and wood grain is as good as it gets......thanks for sharing your work.

You are VERY VERY GOOD!

Garry Smith
11-17-2006, 1:50 PM
Nice work Rick. I'm sure this will be admired for generations to come.

Garry

Jack Ferrell
11-17-2006, 2:00 PM
I love the style and admire your craftsmanship. You have made a fine set of furniture.

Jim Benante
11-17-2006, 2:28 PM
Great work. Now you need a glass wall to back it up to so everyone can enjoy the beauty of the backside too.

Larry Fox
11-17-2006, 2:30 PM
WOW - that is wonderful! Very nice work.

Zahid Naqvi
11-17-2006, 3:17 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiice job. I have a big Walnut project coming up soon. I might hit you for some advice.

Dan Oliphant
11-17-2006, 3:59 PM
What a wonderful chest od drawers. The walnut that you selected for this project really has eye appeal. Well done!!

Howie French
11-17-2006, 5:04 PM
Rick, I really like this, the wood is great and I love that style of furniture.
Nice Job all around!

Howie

Dave Ray
11-17-2006, 5:22 PM
From tree to beautiful furniture.... WOW. Really something to be proud of. Super craftsmanship.

John Michaels
11-17-2006, 7:25 PM
I really like the grain of that walnut. Exellent craftmanship, that dresser will be cherished for generations.

Jim Becker
11-17-2006, 7:29 PM
Outstanding, Rick!!

Barry Bruner
11-17-2006, 9:27 PM
Looks super fine to me, and the wood is outstanding. Like all your work I`ve seen and this might be at the top of the list. BARRY BRUNER

Rick de Roque
11-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Rick,

All I can say is, "wow!" That's some beautiful work. The nightstands are awesome too. Can't wait to see the desk. That's going to be one gorgeous bedroom set. How long did it take you to finish the dresser?

Keith
I don't know how long this took in hours but approximately 2 months of weekends.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick de Roque
11-18-2006, 12:25 AM
fantastic work... the walunt is really outstanding. love the piece. did you use plans or photos of existing pieces ? I like the graduation of the drawers. How did you work that out?
lou
I had no plans but like anything I get ideas from alot of other pieces I see. The graduated drawers were worked out after I came up with the overall dimensions then used x as 1" and started with the smallest drawer and graduated 1" from there. Then adjusted the starting drawer size till I was really close to the dimensions I wanted.

Thanks,
rick

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Rick,

WOW!!!!! Beautiful work and beautiful wood!!!! Must be really nice to take the project all the way from tree to furniture.

t

David Rose
11-18-2006, 1:00 AM
Uh, ohhhh... Showed those pics to the wifey. Like I said, "uh oh". I've got an idea what I will be working on for much much longer than you did! That is, if you don't mind idea theft too much. :eek: And I've got standards to work toward. Great job.

David

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2006, 1:16 AM
: I've got standards to work toward.

David

Ha!!! Since when??? :D :D :D

t

David Rose
11-18-2006, 1:52 AM
Jeeze, t! Don't you have something to do besides follow me around? :eek: You'll make me paranoid to post! Well, I guess it ain't paranoid if someone really is out to get ya! :p

It didn't work anyway. I thought blowing up the prints and showing LOML would help me get a Leigh D4. It didn't work. I think seeing two beds at the "t house" has messed up her mind. She is really stuck on the idea of a bed. Shoot! What's wrong with a solid wood frame that is 30 years old? Well, it is some sort of stained softwood, but it is wood. Maybe it is the "needing a ladder" to get up there that bothers her. Who knows?

Her only comment was, "that looks nice". Oh, well... I am impressed.

David

Ha!!! Since when??? :D :D :D

t

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Rick: that piece plus the nightstands are simply OUTSTANDING!!! you've exploited the natural beauty of walnut and created beautiful results...I'm working on a walnut chest right now. I'd be very curious as to your finishing schedule. You have a nice tone and look in these pieces....THANKS!!!

Martin Shupe
11-18-2006, 4:12 PM
Rick,

You have created a beautiful heirloom for your family! Fantastic job. You should be proud.

John Piwaron
11-18-2006, 4:35 PM
I love this!

I was just thinking I'd ask how you attached the mouldings, and bingo! There it is - dovetail keys. Isn't that the bomb? I love that technique.

Great job. Looks beautiful!

John Piwaron
11-18-2006, 4:38 PM
I thought blowing up the prints and showing LOML (hoping that) would help me get a Leigh D4. It didn't work. I think seeing two beds at the "t house" has messed up her mind. She is really stuck on the idea of a bed.
David

The D4 can make really big dovetails, maybe you gotta design something requiring the biggest it'll do. That's the way my mind works. "But honey, I NEED the D4 to make that bed you want!"

Rick de Roque
11-18-2006, 7:09 PM
Rick: that piece plus the nightstands are simply OUTSTANDING!!! you've exploited the natural beauty of walnut and created beautiful results...I'm working on a walnut chest right now. I'd be very curious as to your finishing schedule. You have a nice tone and look in these pieces....THANKS!!!
Thanks Jerry,

The finish schedule was sand to 220 except end grain which is sanded to 320 then BLO followed by a 2# cut of shellac with top coat of varnish (Watelox).

David: Good luck on the D4. I really like mine. When you make 17" - 19" cases, like I did for this bedroom set, it is really helpful.

Rick

Alan Turner
11-18-2006, 7:59 PM
Nice piece of work.

David Rose
11-18-2006, 8:47 PM
John, I like the way you think! But I can't for the life of me figure where the "really big dovetails" would be good in a bed. :rolleyes: Any bright ideas?

David

The D4 can make really big dovetails, maybe you gotta design something requiring the biggest it'll do. That's the way my mind works. "But honey, I NEED the D4 to make that bed you want!"

Travis Porter
11-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Awesome! That is gorgeous!

John Keane
11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Well done! You have set a high mark.

Dennis Peacock
11-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Maaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!! That's Awsome Rick!!!!! Very, very nice. The LOML says that she really, REALLY likes the back of it too! ;) :D

Rick de Roque
11-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Maaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!! That's Awsome Rick!!!!! Very, very nice. The LOML says that she really, REALLY likes the back of it too! ;) :D
Thanks Dennis. I loved making it, I just wish I could get more shop time.

Rick

John Timberlake
11-19-2006, 1:01 PM
Great job. I really like the looks of it, especially the back. Could be used in the middle of the room.

Calvin Hobbs
11-22-2006, 1:01 PM
Beautiful chest, Rick, the wood has outstanding grain. I just found a leftover pile of this Ozarks walnut at a little sawmill in Aurora (MO). When it gets dry I need to make sure I use it as well as you did.

BTW, how far is Conway from the Branson area (where I work).

What is your next project? We will look forward to the post of whatever it is. (Sorry I now see next is the desk - Good luck).

Cal

Scott Vigder
11-22-2006, 6:49 PM
If I were Canadien I'd say something like "Beauty there, eh?".
I'm slowly getting hooked on walnut, and your results help me understand why.

Rick de Roque
11-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Beautiful chest, Rick, the wood has outstanding grain. I just found a leftover pile of this Ozarks walnut at a little sawmill in Aurora (MO). When it gets dry I need to make sure I use it as well as you did.

BTW, how far is Conway from the Branson area (where I work).

What is your next project? We will look forward to the post of whatever it is. (Sorry I now see next is the desk - Good luck).

Cal
Thanks Cal.
Conway is 2 1/2 hrs south on 65. If you head south from Branson on Hwy 65, 2 1/2 hrs later when you hit Interstate 40 you are in Conway. Come and visit we have a number of members here. Hope you make something nice with your walnut. I love to work walnut, I think it is a really nice looking native wood.

Rick

Michael Handrinos
09-09-2007, 4:43 PM
Really nice work! I hope to be able to do work like that some day.

Mark Valsi
09-09-2007, 6:20 PM
Wow, great craftsmanship, and that WALNUT is awesome !

good job

Dave Lindgren
09-09-2007, 6:46 PM
I hope you have it signed and dated, 'cuz it is going to be a family heirloom! Beautiful work.

Robert LaPlaca
09-09-2007, 7:22 PM
Rick,

Very nice work

Jim Kountz
09-09-2007, 8:58 PM
Really nice work, best I have seen in a while now! Congrats!

Jerry Olexa
09-10-2007, 1:07 PM
Rick, being that we are revisiting your excellent work, I have a further finishing question. On your regimen, do you pad on the undercoat of 2lb shellac or brush? Just one coat? What sheen of Waterlox are you using? And just one coat? Aso, do you thin the waterlox? Thanks. Again, Outstanding work....Really beautiful!!

Jeff Considine
09-10-2007, 3:35 PM
Spectacular work, great wood choices, and I really like the dovetails. Congratulations

Mark Mazzo
09-11-2007, 4:08 PM
Rick,

That is some superb craftsmanship and beautiful wood!

Did you use blond shellac or something with color?

--Mark