PDA

View Full Version : Transfer VHS to DVD with a computer?

Tony Sade
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
I have a bunch of stuff on VHS tapes I'd like to transfer to DVDs using my computer. (Intel iMac) I'm not ready to buy a DVD recorder just yet, and I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there is a device out there in computerland that will allow me to do this using my computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Al Willits
11-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Off the top of my head I'd say a video card that accepts the HVS input and enough hard drive space to put it on.
Pleanty of share ware programs to use once you get that far.

Al

Derek Rose
11-17-2006, 2:42 PM
There are a few USB addons you can buy that allow you to plug in component A/V cables from your VCR. They usually come with software for that exact purpose. Pinnacle is the maker of one (I have it), but I'm not 100% positive it is Mac supported.

Art Mulder
11-17-2006, 4:17 PM
I have a bunch of stuff on VHS tapes I'd like to transfer to DVDs using my computer. (Intel iMac) I'm not ready to buy a DVD recorder just yet,

I've never done it myself, but recognize that you'll have to buy hardware to allow video-input to the iMac. Best compare the price on a vhs-dvd recorder versus this hardware.

OR the thing you can try is to find a friend who has a video camera. Many video cameras have both standard RCA video connections (like on your VCR) and also Firewire video connections (like on your Mac) Voila, connection achieved.

David Plaskett
11-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Try this website. They will have something that will work.

drewkaplan@DAK.com

David Plaskett
11-18-2006, 10:23 AM
sorry, website should be www.drewkaplan.com

Tony Sade
11-20-2006, 9:45 AM
Thanks, folks. Think I'll by a recorder. Good, of course, only until I'm forced to switch to DVD.

Cheers,