PDA

View Full Version : Turned Wood Engine

Bill Kay
11-17-2006, 8:57 AM
Hi,

I turned this 5 cylinder engine to enter it in a Segmented Turning contest and never got around to submitting it.
It is about 2 feet in diameter.

Each cylinder is made from 11 pieces, The prop spinner is 35 pieces. Engine case is around 40 pieces and a few more for the intake and exhaust stacks. The prop is carved from a 7 lamination blank.

The engine is modular. There is a 3/8 threaded rod attached to the mount. Each of the sub-assemblies slide onto the shaft and the prop spinner is the nut that holds it all together.

I had to make a few fixtures to make sure the mounting points for the cylinders and push rods were aligned properly.

Thw woods used are Maple, Cherry, Alder, Walnut, Oak and Poplar. The finish is lacquer.

Thanks for taking a look.

SeYa .... Bill

Richard Madison
11-17-2006, 9:04 AM
Gadzook, that's amazing, Bill! You may have too much time on your hands. What are you gonna do with it?

Keith Burns
11-17-2006, 9:16 AM
Bill, that is absolutely a fantistic piece of work:) :)

Keel McDonald
11-17-2006, 9:16 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!

Christopher Hunter
11-17-2006, 9:25 AM
Keel said it best
amazing work

Charles E. Martin V
11-17-2006, 10:37 AM
There are no words to describe what I'm feeling right now. That is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Jim King
11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
That is outrageous . Really good.

Paul Engle
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Way cool, love the sound of a radial in full throtle ...... does it go on a Beaver or the Otter ???? :D :confused: . Nice work Bill. Belongs in the S&A museum at Wright Patterson

John Schreiber
11-17-2006, 1:54 PM
Love the sound of a radial engine. So how much power does it produce? How does the wood hold up to the exhaust fumes?

:D Just kidding, that's a wonderful piece of art.

Mark Hulette
11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Bill, Outstanding and inspiring, too!

Love the spinner and the prop and the cylinder head and the...

Seriously cool stuff... I'd be interested to hear about the lamination and shaping process for the prop.

Thanks for sharing!

Bill Kay
11-18-2006, 9:02 AM
Hi Mark,

I'll try toput a little info together about the process I use to carve a prop and get it posted.

Regards,

Ernie Nyvall
11-18-2006, 9:04 AM
That is very cool Bill. Excellent job!

Bill Kay
11-18-2006, 9:10 AM
Hi All,

Thanks very much for all of the feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

This all started because I wanted to learn how to carve a propeller. Then I needed a way to display it.

Now I'll need to make a model large enough to hang the engine. Just not sure where I'd put it.

Maybe something like this scaled up a bit.

SeYa .... Bill

Gary Herrmann
11-19-2006, 9:49 AM
Very cool, Bill. Did you actually turn it like it was displayed in the 2nd pic? That must have sounded like a propeller.

Bill Kay
11-20-2006, 8:06 AM
Gary, That would have been an easy way to get the cylinders all the same length but I didn't think of it. I'll try out your idea on the next one. SeYa .... Bill