PDA

View Full Version : George's Laser Tip #1

George M. Perzel
11-17-2006, 8:53 AM
Hi gang;
I thought I would start submitting quick tips/ideas to assist in laser startups, setups and processes.

#1: Don't buy a laser cutting table from the laser vendor-way overpriced and no bargain. Try to find an eggcrate metal grid-got my first one for $14 as part of an airconditioning grill-Mike Null on this forum also sells the stuff. Use aluminum angle to make a frame-will put together a cdr with ideal dimensions and submit it later.
See pic below. This is my grid in my Mercury unit. The top left corner of any material put on the table lines up with the Home position of the laser and the 0,0 point in my Corel layout. Note that the grid is split-allows thin material to be clamped in the middle to hold it down. Grid also has sections cut out to allow clamping of standard material at various points. Silver clamps at left side and rear are office type spring clips attached to simple hinges which swing clamps out of the way(down) if not needed. Clamp profile is such that they are lower than end of auto focus probe so don't interfere with edge work. Black on grid is residue from a lot of wood cutting/engraving over 3 year period-powerwashed it once. Pretty straightforward and simple-and very inexpensive.

Clyde Baumwell
11-18-2006, 9:54 AM
Thanks for both of your tips. I not sure I followed the cutting table one but will try. It is something i need to do.

George M. Perzel
11-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi all;
Here's a few better pics of the table and clamps.
George

Frank Corker
11-19-2006, 3:10 PM
Jeepers your cutting bed has taken some damage huh?

George M. Perzel
11-19-2006, 6:51 PM
Hi Frank;
No damage- areas of the grid were cut out to allow clamping.
George