PDA

View Full Version : Hickory HF

Keith Burns
11-17-2006, 8:29 AM
This is a HF that did'nt turn out as I wanted and I did some more experimenting with dyes. Hickory is like concrete and I will not turn it again. It developed some cracks and the wood was pure white so I knew it was not going to be a good "natural" piece. I used green dye covered with black dye. The actual color does not come out good in my pics. I will probably try some more experiments on this before I'm done. It measures 6" dia. x 9"tall. Honestly I consider this piece as "junk" but my wife likes it, go figure. Your ridicule is gladly accepted.:D

Alex Cam
11-17-2006, 8:46 AM
Honestly I consider this piece as "junk" but my wife likes it, go figure. Your ridicule is gladly accepted.:D

Keith,

You may not be happy with the finish, but the form is incredible. Very aesthetically pleasing and well proportioned. I hope I can turn something out like that someday.

Charles E. Martin V
11-17-2006, 8:50 AM
When you say "experiment" are you talking about your camera settings? I like it and would be interested in what the actual color is, since this looks pretty good as it is.

Frank Kobilsek
11-17-2006, 8:58 AM
Keith
Hickory Hollow form would be a challenge. I have made a couple hickory bowls and yes the are hard, very hard. I don't think my hoolowing skills are ready for Hickory. Oh yea, I'm suppose to be building a captured rig.

My 5 colors of dye arrived yesterday. I think the first experiments will be on Christmas ornaments.

Frank

Keith Burns
11-17-2006, 9:13 AM
When you say "experiment" are you talking about your camera settings? I like it and would be interested in what the actual color is, since this looks pretty good as it is.

Thanks Charles. The actual color is more black with some green showing through in areas. The photo, to me anyway has a purplish cast to it.

Christopher Hunter
11-17-2006, 9:23 AM
I have found out that almost every project I didn't care - someone else loved
in your case That is a great looking HF --- be proud if it, I am, and I didn't even make it ----
--Chris

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Great looking HF! Absolutely love the shape!

Mark Pruitt
11-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Honestly I consider this piece as "junk" but my wife likes it, go figure. :D
As they say, one's trash is another's treasure.:rolleyes: I'm siding with your wife and classifying it as "treasure.";) I like the form and the rustic look.

The actual color is more black with some green showing through in areas. The photo, to me anyway has a purplish cast to it.
You're right, there is a kind of purple hue in the pics. If you're able to manipulate the color in the pics, let me know how you did it. I can anticipate needing to learn that sort of thing before too long.

Ernie Nyvall
11-18-2006, 8:34 AM
Man, you've got some huge catches in there.:p

I like the form... not sure about the color, but a final finish might change that. Were the worms still in there?:eek:

Jim Ketron
11-18-2006, 3:43 PM
Beautiful Form Keith!
Nice Job!

Jim Becker
11-18-2006, 4:16 PM
I agree with Jim...beautiful form! And I bet the coloration is quite nice!

Corey Hallagan
11-18-2006, 4:40 PM
Nice piece Curt. I really like that.

corey

Christopher K. Hartley
11-19-2006, 6:38 AM
I only have one criticism. Cut yourself some slack!! This is a great looking piece. I too like the form and is color makes it unique. I say thumbs up!:)

John Hart
11-19-2006, 7:14 AM
I have to agree...I like it. The form is typical Keith Burns perfection. Wonderful. :) ;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Keith that is a beauty. I like the form a lot. I agree with the LOYL it is ok.