PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2006, 6:59 AM
Friday November 17th, 2006

5 Days until Thanksgiving. 37 days until Christmas.

Happy Weekend everyone. This is shaping up to be a big weekend for sports. Football [OSU/MSU] and NASCAR plus the normal NFL games. Lot's of prep work for Thanksgiving for me. Only shop time will be to see if I can get that jointer/planer head out of the X-31. I'm kinda dead on shop time until I can get the new shelix head installed.

So, what's on the agenda in your neck of the woods? Are you going "over the river and through the woods" to grandmothers house for Thanksgiving?

Whatever you have going, make it safe and have a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Karl

Terry Hatfield
11-17-2006, 7:46 AM
Well...last weekend I ended up having to work at work so one more time I'm going to attempt to get a start on the pulpit project. This is "Fusion" weekend for our youth from church and we are a host home so I'm not sure zakly how much shop time I will get with a dozen teen agers here but hopefully I can squeeze some in.

Everyone have a great and safe weekend!!!!!!

Terry

Rennie Heuer
11-17-2006, 8:14 AM
Well...last weekend I ended up having to work at work so one more time I'm going to attempt to get a start on the pulpit project. This is "Fusion" weekend for our youth from church and we are a host home so I'm not sure zakly how much shop time I will get with a dozen teen agers here but hopefully I can squeeze some in.

Everyone have a great and safe weekend!!!!!!

Terry
Terry,

Please, please, please post pictures of your project as you progress!

Terry Hatfield
11-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Terry,

Please, please, please post pictures of your project as you progress!

You want to see pics of a bunch of teenage boys eating all my food and doing bible study??? LOL....:D :D

Seriously.......I am planning on taking a bunch of pics and I'll post as I go. It might be interesting since I have not figured out zakly how to do a couple of things yet. :D

t

Rennie Heuer
11-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Friday November 17th, 2006

5 Days until Thanksgiving. 37 days until Christmas.

Happy Weekend everyone. This is shaping up to be a big weekend for sports. Football [OSU/MSU] and NASCAR plus the normal NFL games. Lot's of prep work for Thanksgiving for me. Only shop time will be to see if I can get that jointer/planer head out of the X-31. I'm kinda dead on shop time until I can get the new shelix head installed.

So, what's on the agenda in your neck of the woods? Are you going "over the river and through the woods" to grandmothers house for Thanksgiving?

Whatever you have going, make it safe and have a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Karl
This will be a weekend of cleaning and straightening up, hanging Christmas lights, and getting ready for the big bird.

Rennie Heuer
11-17-2006, 8:28 AM
You want to see pics of a bunch of teenage boys eating all my food and doing bible study??? LOL....:D :D

Seriously.......I am planning on taking a bunch of pics and I'll post as I go. It might be interesting since I have not figured out zakly how to do a couple of things yet. :D

t
I really need to learn to be more specific! :D

I built the altar, pulpit, and font for our church earlier this year. Still working on a few other pieces like candle stands, communion table, plant stands, etc. I really would like to see the progress pics for your pulpit, but the food-fest/bible study might make for interesting photos too!;)

Jack Ferrell
11-17-2006, 8:40 AM
After working every weekend for the last month, I'm going to San Antonio this Saturday to take a class from David Marks. :)

Al Willits
11-17-2006, 8:48 AM
Hummm...I thought he was getting a fusion group together to play somewhere...:D

Sameo, sameo for me, had the garage almost cleaned and decided to change bulbs in a couple of lights, might have been a mistake as several of them ended up with broken ceramics for the tube holders and I'm now redoing all of them....cheap lights only made it 25+ years before breaking...:D

I now have about 9 new fixtures, 25+ years of dust over everything, and about 6 old fixtures to dispose of.. amazing what ends up on top of them fixtures after all these years.
Also am doing some major rewiring and much of it was behind the walls, so I have some wall repair going on too.

Beginning to think it'd been easier to tear the garage down and start over.

Also thinking I should be the poster boy for what not to do when creating a wood shop....Tyler I will take the required pictures for those who need a laugh.

Might try to get out to the range this weekend, and see if I can still hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol or two.

Be well and safe.

Al....happiness is a warm gun....especially if its your's. :)

Mike Heidrick
11-17-2006, 8:59 AM
Pulling tape down from the trim in our nursery.
Putting up a new ceiling fan.
Touching up the paint.
Changing out the outlets and wall plates.
We have a baby shower this weekend so need to get some work done. Also replacing some drywall in one of the closets in the nursery.

In the shop:
Need to move the saw filers, setters, retoothers from grandpa to a spot on the bench or make them their own stand.
Need to get supplies and make a powercord for the incoming Sawstop.
Also need to make a decision on my router table uses if I am going to sell the Delta. Either make a new table for the PRL or move that extension table to a base and make a new extension table - who knows. Maybe I will just keep the second saw.
Need to get the 72" mid mount mower off the Deere (3320) and get her ready for snow.
Need to get the oil changed in the Deere.

Larry Fox
11-17-2006, 9:30 AM
This will be an extended weekend for me as I am on vacation all of next week. Plans are sun-up to sun-down working on my kitchen project. Next few weeks are the final push as I have promissed SWMBO that I will have it done by the Christmas holiday so our house is not trashed when our guests arrive. If I don't make it my goose is cooked. :)

Laurie Brown
11-17-2006, 9:38 AM
This weekend I will either be in the shop working on making the raised panel doors (6 of them) for my new cabinet, or off at work with the hubby to help him do some network reconfiguration. Hmm... which sounds like more fun? ;)

Just be the two of us at Thanksgiving like every year. The families live too far away for us to easily see them or they us. I'll cook a big home-cooked meal and we'll eat and drink and make merry.

Steven Shelby
11-17-2006, 9:38 AM
I'm thinking, a little work and a little sitting on my backside are both in order for the weekend.

The shop is in serious need of some cleaning. I plan on spending the morning putting stuff away followed by the release of "Dirt Dog" (a shop cleaning/ vacuuming robot that was a recent gift of DW). I'm getting ready to start a shop project that will entail the use of left-over plywood and scraps to build a variety of jigs, tool hangers, roller stands, etc. Saw a roller stand on NYW a couple weeks ago that I may take a crack at.

As for the rest of the weekend, I'm looking forward to a crystal clear view of OSU-Michigan, USC-Cal, Army-ND, etc, thanks to the recent install of our new DirecTV HD-DVR. Oh, and I forgot Johnson vs Kenseth and 41 other guys.

Below is a shot of my planned location for watching fore-mentioned events. This is the family room bar I have been promising DW for 19 months. I was originally gonna go with a larger bar. But I didn't want to overwhelm the room. So I used the plan from Rockler, which I am very pleased with. I normally am way too shy about posting my barely acceptable work online. But I thought I'd sneak this one on.

To all of my fellow creekers, please have a safe and special Thanksgiving!

Barry Beech
11-17-2006, 9:42 AM
This is the most important weekend of the year for me...

THE IRON BOWL IS THIS WEEKEND!!!! ;)

:D :D

ROLL TIDE!!!

Other than that I will probably change the oil in my truck to get it ready for travel next week. I also hope to start work on finishing a console that I am building.

Jim O'Dell
11-17-2006, 9:44 AM
I have to work Sat from 8 to 1, then I'll be in the shop getting the cyclone exhaust ported outside. If it goes quickly, I may get to work on the chip barrel to get it mounted. Then I can actually try out the cyclone and see how I did!! Sunday LOML and I are helping a friend in need do some repairs and clean up around her house. Wish I was an electrician. Her house is all aluminum wiring, and the hot water heater had quit working. When over 2 weeks ago, I found the electrical connection to the junction box on top of the heater burned up. Literally burned the cap up and it was a crumbled mess. Luckily it wasn't touching the electrical box! And this 220 circuit is running multiple 110 items, lights, kitchen appliences, etc. Really scary. All I could do was cut the wire in the box, cap it off and tell her she needed an electrician. Hope everyone has a good one! Jim.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2006, 9:50 AM
Saturday we are planning to put up Christmas lights and getting the house ready for next weekend's guests. I ordered a few accessories for the new truck that I want to get installed. I also need to do more work on my tractor's back blade--hopefully get it ready for priming, if not primed. Can't be too much longer before we get our first real snow.

Sam Chambers
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I doubt I'll get much shop time this weekend. It's rivalry weekend on the gridiron - Ohio State vs. Michigan on Saturday, then my Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh on Sunday. Doesn't get much better than that!

If I manage to find a few hours, maybe I'll finish installing the Biesemeyer fence on my Unisaw.

Jerry Olexa
11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Yesterday, cleaned the garage shop from milling walnut stock for the chest. This weekend, I'll head to the basement "real" shop to start the R/S and panels using the new Milw 5625. In between,on Saturday I'll see the OSU-Mich game and a few others. We have a church dinner tonight and we'll be with friends Saturday night. Today my 1 yr old grandaughter visits to inspect the chest I'm building for her. Life is good...Thanksgiving will be @ my son's home on T-Day for the whole family...Gobble, Gobble

Mark Pruitt
11-17-2006, 1:32 PM
Going to piddle around with my photo tent I just made and see if I can get some decent pics of recently turned bowls. Maybe I'll do a little cleaning in the shop. Time to empty the DC bags--yuck.:eek: And a trip to the dump is in order. Exciting.:rolleyes: At least the weather is expected to be decent.

Justin McCurdy
11-17-2006, 2:51 PM
I am planning on sitting in the woods on Saturday and then watching football until I pass out. Sunday is a day of catching up:

Finish picture frames (only 6 months behind) for the wife
Replace my ovular cutting Jet chuck with a new one from them (Thanks to the customer service at Jet)
Stare at all the tools that I bought this week and wonder when my wife is going to find out and make me sleep outside

Bob Childress
11-17-2006, 4:56 PM
Well, we're having the kids down for Thanksgiving form Virginia, so big shopping and menu planning. Finished (yes, finished :eek: ) the kitchen remodel project this morning (12 months). Was on deadline for the holiday visit. :D

More coats of tung oil on a tabletop and some firewood splitting ought to keep me busy.

Jim Becker
11-17-2006, 8:14 PM
Saturday will be somewhat of the usual; dance for the younger, schlep the older to a birthday party and family dinner out. Sunday, I hope to be back in the shop working on the vanity project.

But like Larry, I also decided to take the three days off pior to the long holiday weekend. :) I have a nice dumpster arriving Monday morning to act as a repository for the deck demolition that will also get started...and 10 tons of stone arriving to help construct a temporary walkway to the kitchen door. (All this to prepare for the upcoming home addition project...doing this work is part of the "save some money through sweat equity" plan) Wednesday is our one year anniversary of "Gotcha Day" relative to our daughters' adoption...already. I think that's going to be a major ice cream event. :D :D :D

Nancy Laird
11-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, except for the craft show tomorrow, it was going to be a relatively quiet weekend, shopping and getting ready for Turkey Day with the daughter/SIL/munchkin. But....we got an order (and check!) tonight for 2000 Christmas ornaments to be lasered and cut from 1/8" birch ply, so we have both lasers now running--four sheets down, 60 to go! Delivery is December 7, so we're gonna be busy for the next week or so. Life is good.

Nancy

Bruce Wrenn
11-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Meeting new client on Sat morning, going to daughters house to measure for laminate flooring, removing last of vinyl flooring from my rental house, picking up laminate and vinyl, cooking dinner for friend and wife's parents. Sun.- Taking friend to airport, working on rental house , and working on 100 cars for Toys For Tots. Oh yeah- resting. Yard needs raking along with driveway (400' long). Loading out truck for Monday AM job.

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2006, 9:57 AM
snip Wednesday is our one year anniversary of "Gotcha Day" relative to our daughters' adoption...already. I think that's going to be a major ice cream event. :D :D :D

Wow! has it been a year already?? I'd agree, a MAJOR ice cream event! Congrats! Jim.

Kristian Wild
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, since I spent just about every minuit of last weekend building a map case for a friend's outdoor store I have been told that I should take a day off. Yes I'll give some pics soon... Maybe back into the shop tomorrow to work on a coffee table for my folks made out of a 4" thick slab of Ponderosa Pine.

As far as prepping for Thanksgiving, I don't have to! Way up here in "The Great White North" we have Thanksgiving on the second weekend of October (same as Columbus day). Ironically though, I actually spent it in central Oregon with about a hundred other Canuckians!

Maybe go for a little snowshoe this afternoon up in the mountains with my rapidly balooning (pregnant) lovely bride and the pooch. It's been snowing non stop for about a week above 4000'.

Play safe everyone!

Kris