PDA

View Full Version : 3HP router

Reg Mitchell
11-17-2006, 3:40 AM
Any sugestions on a strong 3 hp router fixed base. I have a project I am getting ready to try and would like a larger router for it. Suggestions
Reg

Matt Day
11-17-2006, 8:11 AM
Shouldn't this be in the power tools forum?

Keith Outten
11-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Your right Matt, I moved this thread to the GWW Fowum.

Allen Bookout
11-17-2006, 6:56 PM
If I were going to 3 1/2 hp insead of 3 hp I would go with the Milwaukee 5625. I have one and think that it is top notch. Check Heavydutytools as they sometimes have a very good price on that router ($255 delivered). They ship out really fast if you are in a hurry.

I just checked and here is the page: https://www.heavydutytools.net/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=99

I have not checked around for prices lately but this was a good price a while back.

scott spencer
11-17-2006, 7:12 PM
I've been pleased with the MW5625 too.

http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788

Freud is supposed to have a new 3hp router out ...the FT3000. If it has the same features as the smaller FT1700, I'd definitely check into it. I really love the above table features of the Freud.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

Reg Mitchell
11-17-2006, 7:35 PM
Thanks Allen and Scott. I looked at the MW5625. It should do the job I am thinking about. Its strong and seems to be durable. I'll let you know how it turns out and give you a shot of what it's going to be doing
Reg :D

glenn bradley
11-17-2006, 8:05 PM
Another vote for the 5625. I don't think mine has even noticed that I've been using it yet. It's a locomotive and the electronic torque/load whatcha-ma-jigger electronics work great.

Mark Rios
11-17-2006, 8:52 PM
Sorry to be the odd man out but I gotta go with the PC7518. Workhorse of workhorses. :D

pat warner
11-17-2006, 8:53 PM
"Any sugestions on a strong 3 hp router fixed base. I have a project I am getting ready to try and would like a larger router for it. Suggestions
Reg

Selecting Routers (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

Larry Fox
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree with Mark - PC7518.

Dan Drager
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I have to agree with the others. My Milwaukee is fantastic. I have it set up on a dedicated table 99% of the time and it handles anything I can throw at it.

Mike Heidrick
11-18-2006, 1:00 AM
I have a 7518 in a PRL. Outstanding combo in my opinion.

Keith Outten
11-18-2006, 2:02 AM
There is a recent concern about Porter Cable routers, it appears that the company has made some changes to the bearings they are using and PC routers are running very high temps. The infomation I am getting from other CNC owners who use the PC 7518 is consistant, this model in particular is running too hot, a problem that did not exist in older models.

I have the PC 7518 in my ShopBot, it is probably the loudest router that exists and I am experiencing the heating problem also. In spite of the noise and the warm temperatures the PC performs well. There have been a lot of ShopBot owners who have been switching to Milwaukee and a few other models because of the bearing problems with PC.

Mark Rios
11-18-2006, 2:43 AM
There is a recent concern about Porter Cable routers, it appears that the company has made some changes to the bearings they are using and PC routers are running very high temps. The infomation I am getting from other CNC owners who use the PC 7518 is consistant, this model in particular is running too hot, a problem that did not exist in older models.

I have the PC 7518 in my ShopBot, it is probably the loudest router that exists and I am experiencing the heating problem also. In spite of the noise and the warm temperatures the PC performs well. There have been a lot of ShopBot owners who have been switching to Milwaukee and a few other models because of the bearing problems with PC.

Keith, when did this come up? How come this is the first I've heard of it. I'm not meaning to be a smart a$$ (this time :rolleyes: ), I mean this sincerely. Did I miss the threads? Was this info posted here on the Creek. I ask because I've just now (yesterday, finally) started using my 7518 and I noticed that it was REALLY warm. I first noticed it when I had been running it for 5 or 6 minutes and I happened to touch the PRL plate and it was very warm. I opened my cabinet door and a blast of very warm air hit me.

I bought mine from Amazon in july of this year (2006). How long has this issue been around?

Have there been any failures? Runout problems? Does PC admit to a problem? Where might we find out more about this issue?

Thanks very much.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 9:04 AM
I have seen the reports of bearing problems with the larger PCs for a good six months now and maybe more. Could be a year or more the way time flys.

The other problem that I have with the 7518 is that I think that it is overpriced, from the prices that I can find, compared to the Mil 5625.

Mark Rios
11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I have seen the reports of bearing problems with the larger PCs for a good six months now and maybe more. Could be a year or more the way time flys.

The other problem that I have with the 7518 is that I think that it is overpriced, from the prices that I can find, compared to the Mil 5625.

I"m surprised to see how expensive it's selling for right now. I bought mine back in July for $236 during a sale on Amazon.

I"ve been searching for PC overheat problems and have found a few. I also find talk of this issue in the ShopoBot forum like Keith says. So, should I be calling PC for replacement? Repair?

Mark Pruitt
11-18-2006, 11:12 AM
For a fixed base 3hp router, I wouldn't be without my PC 7518. I give it two thumbs up. But, I've had it for well over ten years, well before the bearing change Keith is talking about. I wonder if the unspoken rule in power tool manufacturing (or any manufacturing) is, if it works great screw it up. Or, if it ain't broke it was built too well.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 12:10 PM
That's very good Mark!!!!!!

Keith Outten
11-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Allen's right, the problem has been around for awhile now. Most of the ShopBot CNC router owners use the PC7518 routers and many have been reporting the same problems with bearings oveheating. I know there was a thread on the ShopBot Forum a long time ago where the subject was discussed at length. Some of the guys looked into the issue and found out that PC had changed the bearings by checking the part numbers and talking to the PC repair techs.

Some of the ShopBot owners just got mad and started modifiying their Bots to fit other manufacturers routers and of course they immediately started reporting how their new routers were more quiet than the PC.

I'm still running the PC7518 that I bought with my ShopBot, when it finally kicks the bucket I definately won't be purchacing another PC router for my Bot. Whenever I have to change router bits I need to wear gloves the bit and collets are so hot.

There was a time when the PC7518 was the best in its class, that is why the folks at ShopBot designed their mounts for the PC.

Reg Mitchell
11-18-2006, 3:10 PM
This is one of the many reasons to come to this fourm. There are many views and many answers to questions. Also we find probles that were at first unknown to most.
The Mil 5625 is quiet a work horse and the plunge for me is not a problem. Altho the router will be moveing.
Pat I will be sending you an e-mail for a few questions later today or tomorrow as I slightly russed today.
I do wish to thank everyone for there input and information
Reg