PDA

View Full Version : LV vise hardware

jonathan snyder
11-17-2006, 1:57 AM
Hi Folks,

I am in need of a better bench with good vises. I have pretty much decided on a tail vise and front vise. Has anyone used the vise hardware from Lee Valley? If so, which one and would you recomend it?

Otherwise what hardware did you use and do you like it?

Thanks
Jonathan

Jim Becker
11-17-2006, 9:39 AM
My front vice is from Lee Valley and I'm quite pleased with it. It's the "regular" non-quick release version designed to use with user-supplied wood faces. I don't recall the specific model, but the paint is green...

Hank Knight
11-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I have the Veritas (Lee Valley) twin screw vise for my end vise. It's a nice vise, very sturdy, heavy duty and well built. If I built my bench again, I would use a traditional tail vise rather than the twin screw. It has nothing to do with the vise, it's just a personal preference. The twin screw works fine as an end vise. I think it would also be an excellent face vise on a large bench.

jonathan snyder
11-18-2006, 1:51 PM
Thanks Jim & Hank

Not many responses!! Come on guys. What vises or vise hardware are you folks using?

Jonathan

Michael Fross
11-18-2006, 7:01 PM
Well, after a lot of research, I purchased the Veritas twin screw vise to put onto the new bench I have to build. Of course that bench has not yet been started, so it looks really nice in the box.....

:)

Michael

David Martino
11-19-2006, 12:26 AM
This website has some good info on bench design, including a roundup of currently available vices:

www.workbenchdesign.net

They really like the bench hardware Lie-Nielsen is selling. Jim Tolpin's book on Workbenches has a lot of detailed info on different kinds of vices and their various attributes - great book if you haven't seen it.

Also, I've read complaints from people who bought vices (maybe Jorgenson?) from Amazon - lousy packing and broken parts. In the amazon reviews no less.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

David Martino
11-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Just noticed that according to the bench website (http://www.workbenchdesign.net/)

the famous Record vises are once again available - now made by Anant (who bought the tooling after Record stopped making them). An old standby. Available through Highland Hardware.

Brian Hale
11-19-2006, 6:11 AM
I don't have any of the LV vises but i wouldn't hesitate to buy one based on the excellent quality/value of the other products I've gotten from them.

Having said that, I'm real pleased with the Anant vise i bought about a year ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26715&highlight=anant+vise

Brian :)

James Mittlefehldt
11-19-2006, 9:57 AM
I have the Veritas (Lee Valley) twin screw vise for my end vise. It's a nice vise, very sturdy, heavy duty and well built. If I built my bench again, I would use a traditional tail vise rather than the twin screw. It has nothing to do with the vise, it's just a personal preference. The twin screw works fine as an end vise. I think it would also be an excellent face vise on a large bench.

I second exactly what Hank says, I have the twin screw as an end vise across the end of my bench, which I guess would more poperly be called a joiners bench, and if I build a new bench, something I would like to do but probably wont, I would use it for a front vise and make a traditional end vise. The difference in the bench being that I would do it like the Shaker benches, the front third of the bench very thick and the back two thirds less so.

I really like the Lee Valley twin screw, it is a fantastic vise and though expensive it is a lot of vise for the money.

Ken Bryant
11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, there's a spoilsport in every crowd. Just to provide some ornery balance: I have a Lee Valley workbench, which includes a twin screw vise as tailvise, and it's been a terrible vise (and a terrible bench). The wood has delaminated, the vise is no longer level with the rest of the bench, and the bench stretchers are the pits. The whole bench is, in my opinion, just too light and flimsy for handtool work. All in all, it's the one LV purchase I'm sorry I ever made.

rick fulton
11-20-2006, 1:11 AM
The new FWW Tools and Shops 2007 issue had mixed feelings about the Veritas bench and twin vise. They said adjusting the operation of the vise was a compromise between operating and being too slack. They also had reservations about the bench design in general.

I have been looking at the Veritas twin for a long time. Maybe it is good I waited. FWW loves the Lie-Nielsen bench and vise. I checked the L-N web site, and they sell a very solid looking chain drive twin as well as euro style tails.

Ken, is the bench out of alignment with the vise all the way across, or just on the middle? Would it help to beef up the front-to-back stretchers to keep the bench top from cupping? At $995, the bench is several hundred less than similar models. The money you saved could go a long way toward beefing up the sub-structure.

rick

Ken Bryant
11-20-2006, 2:22 AM
Thanks, Rick, that might work, but I've got wood set aside now for a monstrous 12' long Roubo-style bench (with white oak 6x6's for the frame), and I'm going to hang onto the Veritas bench just long enough to get the big bench built. This thing will weigh 700 pounds and will NOT skitter across the floor when I plane on it. The main vise will be a traditional leg vise.

Leon Jester
11-20-2006, 3:56 PM
Jonathan Snyder Wrote:Hi Folks,

I am in need of a better bench with good vises. I have pretty much decided on a tail vise and front vise. Has anyone used the vise hardware from Lee Valley? If so, which one and would you recomend it?

Otherwise what hardware did you use and do you like it?

Mine are either Wilton or Columbian, purchased used from a government auction.

For the tail vise dogs I just drilled a set of half-inch holes down the bench in line with the dog on the vise. Not fancy, but works just fine.

Dan Racette
11-20-2006, 4:23 PM
Large Vise 10-1/2" 15"

I got this one from Lee Valley. It is not yet installed, but it has a very fine casting and smooth operation from all I can tell.

Dan

James Mittlefehldt
11-20-2006, 4:25 PM
Ken If I were you I would return the bench to Lee Velley, I have to say as big a fan as I am of their stuff I always thought those workbenches looked a bit delicate.

My bench I built myself and it is probably still the biggest thing I have ever made. It comes in around 400 lbs and stays put, and the twin screw vise has done yoeman's work for me so I have no complaints there

Rob Nolan
11-20-2006, 9:32 PM
I have the LV twin screw ... it was a bit of a project to install and align but it came out working good ... I have no compliants!

I'd like to get an additional side vise for smaller items ... something quicker to adjust.

jonathan snyder
11-21-2006, 1:48 AM
Thanks folks,

Sounds like everyone likes the LV twin screw end vise! I'm looking for a tail vice and either a front or shoulder vise. I have not decided which yet. I have not recieved my copy of FWW tools & shops yet (always takes longer to get to Alaska), but look forward to the vise review. I looked at the LN vise hardware and it certainly seems to be a bit beefier than the LV hardware. Another decision to make.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has the LN hardware.

Thanks again
Jonathan

Rolf Safferthal
11-22-2006, 6:06 AM
My bench project - not completely finished yet - includes a metal front vise (http://www.fine-tools.com/G307780.htm). The back jaw is mortised into the front rail, therefore the wood of the front rail is not interupted. The front jaw has a 1 3/4 inch thick jaw liner made from beech including round dog holes. Clamping capacity is 12 inches. Clamping across the bench works up to 45 inches.

The second vise is a Veritas Twin Screw Vise. I bought the mechanics and build my own vise. The bench has a center tool tray and is pretty wide - 36 3/4 inches. That gives me 4 rows of round dog holes and an additional row of dog holes in the front rail to clamp vertically. A bunch of options and no wracking.

With a bench length of 87 inches and an additional (twin) vise capacitiy of 12 inches it's possible to clamp parts 95 inches long.