PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder plane

Lloyd Robins
10-30-2003, 1:09 AM
I feel myself slowly slipping :eek: (at least for some items, as I still love a lot of my electron eating tools :) ). I need suggestion as to where to go next. I have gotten a few planes (low-angle block, chisel, coffin smoother, and a razee jack.) I am considering a Spehar dovetail and tenon saw this month. I was wondering if a shoulder plane should be the next purchase. One that has a 3/4" Blade might be very helpful. Would a UK made Stanley (#92) be sufficient, should I look at a Knight (wooden) or Lee Valley plane, or are there others that might be better? Thanks for your help.

Todd Burch
10-30-2003, 8:25 AM
Lloyd, I have to say that I LOVE my shoulder plane. It's a Clifton (#73?)that I bought second-hand. It's heavy and solid. Everything that I've ever asked that plane to do has turned out perfect. It gets in tight spots where I had only gotten a chisel before. It takes very fine shavings. The iron is easy to sharpen. Probably my favorite plane.

Gene Collison
11-01-2003, 10:47 AM
I feel myself slowly slipping :eek: (at least for some items, as I still love a lot of my electron eating tools :) ). I need suggestion as to where to go next. I have gotten a few planes (low-angle block, chisel, coffin smoother, and a razee jack.) I am considering a Spehar dovetail and tenon saw this month. I was wondering if a shoulder plane should be the next purchase. One that has a 3/4" Blade might be very helpful. Would a UK made Stanley (#92) be sufficient, should I look at a Knight (wooden) or Lee Valley plane, or are there others that might be better? Thanks for your help.

Lloyd,

I have had my new Veritas for a couple of months. I love that tool! It is of very good quality with a couple unique features that are only available on that plane. In Lyn Mangiameli's opinion, I think he says it is the best out there. If your interested here is the link, Lyn is a highly regarded authority on planes.
http://host65.ipowerweb.com/~traditi2/forum/article_view.php?fldAuto=26&faq=2&sid=282ce264418aac8c9c6f65b20e75fb5f

Gene

Lloyd Robins
11-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Todd and Gene, thank you for the replies. Gene, I read the review with interest. I had been leaning towards an HNT Gordon shoulder plane (made of ringed gidgee), but the replies are making me think. Now I am also wondering, would the .70 size of the LV plane be the best size or would a 1/2", 3/4", or 1-1/4" be a better size?

Gene Collison
11-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Todd and Gene, thank you for the replies. Gene, I read the review with interest. I had been leaning towards an HNT Gordon shoulder plane (made of ringed gidgee), but the replies are making me think. Now I am also wondering, would the .70 size of the LV plane be the best size or would a 1/2", 3/4", or 1-1/4" be a better size?

Lloyd,

IMHO 3/4" is middle of the road, useful for cleaning 3/4" dadoes and good for tenons. But there are different opinions I'm sure. I wasn't aware that LV had introduced more than one shoulder plane. I knew they were going to but didn't know they had done it.
I feel the Veritas offers very good value for the money. It is most definitely in the same category as Clifton and Lie-Nielsen.
One feature I like very much on the Veritas are the blade retaining screws. These permit a positive adjustment to put the edge of the iron on the outside of the plane body, in line with it or anywhere in between. I believe this is a Veritas exclusive.

Gene

Lloyd Robins
11-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Lloyd,

IMHO 3/4" is middle of the road, useful for cleaning 3/4" dadoes and good for tenons. But there are different opinions I'm sure. I wasn't aware that LV had introduced more than one shoulder plane. I knew they were going to but didn't know they had done it.
I feel the Veritas offers very good value for the money. It is most definitely in the same category as Clifton and Lie-Nielsen.
One feature I like very much on the Veritas are the blade retaining screws. These permit a positive adjustment to put the edge of the iron on the outside of the plane body, in line with it or anywhere in between. I believe this is a Veritas exclusive.

Gene

Gene, that I know of, LV does only offer the .70" shoulder plane. I was just wondering if it was the best size. You seem to feel that it is a very good choice. I really do like the LV items that I have purchased in the past. I am just trying to get as much information as possible before spending my money. Thanks again.

Gene Collison
11-01-2003, 7:51 PM
I had been leaning towards an HNT Gordon shoulder plane (made of ringed gidgee),

Lloyd,

What is your source for the Gordon planes? FYI, there used to be a seller in Dan Diego called Rollison's. It is actually an antique store that handles planes as a side item. I purchased my Clifton smoother from him.

Gene

Lloyd Robins
11-01-2003, 9:08 PM
I had been leaning towards an HNT Gordon shoulder plane (made of ringed gidgee),

Lloyd,

What is your source for the Gordon planes? FYI, there used to be a seller in Dan Diego called Rollison's. It is actually an antique store that handles planes as a side item. I purchased my Clifton smoother from him.

Gene

Gene,

There are a couple of places that I have been looking at the Gordon planes. One strangely enough is Ebay. They have a 1/2" shoulder plane for sale right now that I have bid on, but I cannot decide if the 1/2" is large enough, so I have not tried to find the "reserve" price as hard as I might. The other I found on Woodcentral in a post by Pam. It give the url of Mik in Australia. They have Gordon planes. They are beautiful planes. The url is: www.mik.com.au

Roger Turnbough
11-02-2003, 8:45 AM
Lloyd,

Thought I would chime in here. I have a Gordon Shoulder plane, and IMHE find it works much better as a rabbet plane. With the 60* bed angle, i find it doesn't do as good a job as I would like. If you are looking at working tenons and shoulders, I would think you would be better suited with a low angle shoulder plane. It will plane end grain better.

Hope this help in your decision.

Roger

Alan Turner
11-03-2003, 3:52 PM
Highland hardware handles the HNT Gordon line of planes.
Alan

Todd Burch
11-10-2003, 12:06 AM
I was wrong, I don't have a Clifton. I have a Record #73. I was making a huge miter sled for the tablesaw on Friday and needed to shave the sides of the red oak runners just a skosh to remove some binding. What a tool! My only complaint is that it works so accurately and specifically, I'm finished with what I needed to do and the fun is all over too quick. Todd.

Lloyd Robins
11-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I do appreciate your help. Todd, I have been looking for Record 073 planes. The ones that I can find right off cost more than the new LN shoulder plane. I might take a look at the LV shoulder plane which is more in my price range. Thank you again.

Todd Burch
11-10-2003, 9:51 AM
Ouch - I didn't know they were so expensive. I think I paid $20. :D

Lloyd Robins
11-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Ouch - I didn't know they were so expensive. I think I paid $20. :D

Now that really hurts. :( Seriously, I will keep looking. We just don't have the old tools on sale here that many parts of the country do. Thanks again.