PDA

View Full Version : Carved Cherry Hollow Form

Don Fuss
11-16-2006, 6:53 PM
I've been working on this piece for far too long, but I'm finally at a point where I'll call the shaping finished. It's been a lot of hard work, but I really enjoyed it. I did it all by hand with a drill, some sharp carving tools, miniature files, and lots of patience.

I'm looking for suggestions on the finish. I was thinking about ebonizing the center carved parts and using BLO on the rim and body. It's still up in the air though, and I don't know which way to take it. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks for looking!

Corey Hallagan
11-16-2006, 7:24 PM
That is an excellent piece Don. Very nice indeed. I think the center would look good ebonized like you say, give it a shot. I like oil finishes myself but that is just me.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2006, 8:12 PM
Beautifully carved HF! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Looks mighty fine Don. Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Keith Burns
11-17-2006, 8:09 AM
Great piece Don. I really like the tree limb look of the carving. Can't wait to see it finished:)

Mike Vickery
11-17-2006, 9:45 AM
Beautiful piece I really like the design.

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2006, 9:53 AM
Don, great looking bowl!! I can only imagine the amount of time you put into it. As far as suggestions for the finish - I like the idea of ebonizing the top - but only the inner and outer circles and leave the carvings natural to help make them stand out.

Paul Engle
11-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Don, I agree with Steve, leave the carved natural , (try some minerial oil on a scrap piece, see how it darkens but leaves it looking " hand rubbed ". ) vs the other kinds of finishes, just a thought. Nice job .:D I learned the hard way to try different types of finishes before making up my mind and then not to try anything " new " on current projects. of course one learns by fixing the messes huh?:( :( :D

Mark Pruitt
11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Don, that's an excellent piece. I enjoyed seeing it several nights ago when you displayed it at our guild. Finishing a piece like that is a tough thing to figure out. If it was made from a lighter colored species like maple, I might be inclined to ebonize it in the center or ebonize the carved area. But with this being cherry, because cherry will darken with age and because the color already has a lot of depth to it, I think I would go with a natural finish, either BLO or "natural" color Danish Oil. If you do go with Danish oil and don't have a Beall system for buffing it you're welcome to come over and use mine. BLO should not be Beall buffed however--or so say the experts, I've never tried it.

Ernie Nyvall
11-18-2006, 8:29 AM
Wow Don, that looks greatand I like the ebonized idea.

Don Fuss
11-19-2006, 4:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've decided to just leave it natural and use a danish oil finish. Thanks for the offer to use your Beall, Mark, I appreciate it. I might take you up on that whenever I get a chance to finish it.

Thanks again!