PDA

View Full Version : Advice please ......

dav lock
11-16-2006, 4:23 PM
G'day. My first post and I'm not sure I'm in the right forum - I've searched the board, without success, for the information.
I have a JEPSON MC1100 lathe (43 inches between centers) and a SUPERNOVA 2 chuck. I want to try my hand at turning pens, so to my questions:
* Do I need another chuck?
* If 'yes' what should I get?
* Do I need something other than a chuck?

Dav (in Australia)

Scott Donley
11-16-2006, 4:46 PM
First, welcome to the Creek ! Second, you might post this in the Turning Forum, no lack of opinions there ;) You might do a search for "pen mandrel" that should get you started. Again, welcome.

Andy Hoyt
11-16-2006, 4:53 PM
Hey Dav. Welcome.

I'll move this thread over to the turning forum where our stalwart pen turners can help you out.

Dario Octaviano
11-16-2006, 5:21 PM
Link to another forum removed. That be a no-no. AEH

Yes you will need a mandrel or mandrels depending on what kits you want to try.

You will also need:
Bushings
pen kits
drill press
drill bits
pen mill
glue (your choice)
finish (your choice)
sandpaper & micromesh
caliper (optional)
pen press (you can do w/o, I use a wood clamp for a while)

that's is all I can think of now.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-16-2006, 6:44 PM
Well, s'cuse me folks, I thought this WAS the turning forum. Leastwise, this is where I landed when I clanked on 'turning forum.' is there anotherun hid out somewhere? Enlighten me, I am kinda dim. Max

dav lock
11-16-2006, 9:10 PM
Thank you all. I'm grateful.

Harvey - see post #2 by Andy Hoyt.

Dan Faux
11-16-2006, 9:14 PM
G'Day dave

from the other side of the island, I've sent a PM with contacts.

To you guys here, not trying to be parochial but the information I can give Dave is Area specific to Australia.

Andy Hoyt
11-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Go ahead and spit it out in public Dan. There be other Aussies here too.

Dan Faux
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Go ahead and spit it out in public Dan. There be other Aussies here too.
seems he has all the info he needs at this point in time Andy, wish I could say the same.

Whilst your here perhaps you could tell me if there is a DVD available that shows any deep hollowing techniques. I have Both of Bills but want to try this other form of turning. I have unlimited supplies of Jarrah and York Gum and want to put it to good use.