PDA

View Full Version : Small Red Dyed Maple Bowl with Pierced Rim

Bob Opsitos
11-16-2006, 4:18 PM
Dyed and pierced rim maple bowl. 5" in diameter, 3" tall. Has a little bit of curl in it too. Really this started out as a test for piercing, and at one point it had a full rim. Blew up when the sanding disk caught the edge of one of the piercings. Learned to sand then pierce. Using a small brad point to create the piercing extents and then connecting the dots. Using a Kutzall Extreme bit, cylinder shape. The next peice I'm working on with piercing I'm using the Extreme followed by a less coarse bit. You can see the cutter marks in the piercing.

Once the piercing was done I thought it might look better if it were darker, soooo, I dyed it. Trans Tint mixed with Alcohol and sprayed on. Learned that if you glue cracks with super glue, it will show when you dye it. Finished with Laquer, which was my first time using it. Main problem was impatience and putting a coat on that ran. Wet sanding the runs out wasn't bad, but this lodged the dust in the cracks, and I didn't notice till I recoated it. Doh!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1663.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1662.jpg

Mark Pruitt
11-16-2006, 4:22 PM
Learned to sand then pierce.

...and don't you just hate it when you have to learn it that way! That's my method of learning for sure!:eek: :rolleyes:

Still, that's a job very well done. Love the color and great form too.

Andy Hoyt
11-16-2006, 4:44 PM
Coming from someone who has made no effort in this direction let me say that your's is great. And I especially admire your ability to turn a simple learning curve on one piece into a multitude of S turns. And even still - it looks great.

Keith Burns
11-17-2006, 8:14 AM
Nice job Bob !! I like that you didn't give up on the piece. :) :)

John Hart
11-18-2006, 8:03 AM
It really is a nice showpiece. Kinda cool that you learned so many things on a single project. I look forward to your next one!:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-18-2006, 8:03 AM
I think it looks cool. I like where the white crack shows and it gives me an idea with dying.