PDA

View Full Version : Using 1 1/4" Shaper Cutters On 1" Spindle

Rich Bay
11-16-2006, 2:14 PM
Is it safe and practical to run a 1 1/4" Shaper Cutter on a 1" or 3/4" Spindle? I am looking at buying one of the 3HP Import Shapers and the largest Spindle these come with is 1".

To do this do you just insert one of the 1 1/4" to 1" Bushings Above and Below the Cutter?

Your advice is appreciated.

Rich

Steve Jenkins
11-16-2006, 4:20 PM
I ran 1-1/4 cutters on a 1" spindle for years because I knew that eventually I would get a larger shaper.
Steve

Jim Dailey
11-16-2006, 6:39 PM
Hi!!
Like Steve I have run 1 1/4" cutters for 20 years on a 1" spindle on my Unishaper with Delta adapter bushings. Back when I bought my 1 1/4" Delta cutters the adapters came with the cutters.

Another Steve, Steve Dewey posted pictures of my Unishaper that I have modified with Incra fense positioners a couple of days ago here on Sawmill Creek.

Hope this helps, jim

Phil Pritchard
11-18-2006, 7:21 AM
Is it safe and practical to run a 1 1/4" Shaper Cutter on a 1" or 3/4" Spindle? I am looking at buying one of the 3HP Import Shapers and the largest Spindle these come with is 1".

To do this do you just insert one of the 1 1/4" to 1" Bushings Above and Below the Cutter?
I'd use top-hat section bushings above and below. As to safety, restrict yourself to the maximum diameter/weight the machine is designed for and you'll be OK. A 1in spindle is probably not man enough to handle a pair of 12in diameter tenoning discs......

Phil

J.R. Rutter
11-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Ditto - but get good bushings. I had a bunch of imported 1" to 1-1/4" bushings that caused vibration. When I got some from Freeborn the problem went away.

Rich Bay
11-20-2006, 8:56 AM
Thanks to all for the advice.

Jim - I did see the review and pictures of your Incra Fence mod. Real nice idea.

J.R. - I have looked at the Freeborn site and will probably order some bushings from them.