PDA

View Full Version : Chip collectors and portable DC?

Al Willits
11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
After finally getting my Dust Force hooked to my TS, I am noticing that them small pieces that get buy the insert on the saw make quite the noise when going though the DC impeller, I have bought a zero clearance insert and that helps, but I am wondering if one of them chip collectors (they sit on top of a 30 gallon trash can) would be worth it.

Anybody tried it on a portable system and did it help, also does it effect the efficiency of the DC much?
I only run one power tool at a time and the DC works pretty nice as is, but the noise them little pieces make as they go though the blower, do make me wonder if its harming the impeller?

Once again..thanks

Al

Ted Miller
11-16-2006, 3:19 PM
Al, Some impellers are aluminum and larger chips can cause damage after a while, and you can get lids for smaller cans that run $35.00-65.00 and will catch the larger stuff before it goes into your collector. Bags do get damaged as well when the larger chips are falling into them, I have seen many a tore filter and cloth bags that have tears from larger pieces going through the impeller...

Al Willits
11-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks Ted, I was thinking of trying one of the smaller chip collectors (sits on a 5 gal pail I think) as it would still keep the DC portable.

Question though, whats considered a larger piece?
Seems I have pieces about 1x1.5" that are maybe 3/16" thick that make a pretty good bang when they go though.

Would anything bigger than sawdust be to large maybe??

Thanks again.

Al

glenn bradley
11-17-2006, 1:46 PM
Hi Will,
I have the 5 gal. version for my ShopVac, love it. I think a DC would crush it though. I have the large one for a 30 gal. can for the DC. It puts a very noticeable hit on the CFM even after my efforts to assure a good seal along the path. However, I still use it because I am willing to take the CFM hit to protect the impeller and I empty the can 6 times or so for every time I have to empty the DC bag (nice).

The ZCI on the TS is good but I do use this DC for tools that don't use ZCI's. Therefor I use the trash-can-separator. Just as anyone else I would love to have more CFM but I am happy with the lid. Item 401 is much more heavy duty and includes an internal cyclone elbow as opposed to item 399. My 5 gal. lid is like item 400 although I got mine from Rockler. It does a good job but I wish it was more like item 401 in design.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustacces.htm#281

P.s. My thinking was that $25 was cheaper than $90 for the impeller and the labor and down time to fix it following that inevitable "Bong".