PDA

View Full Version : First flooding, then wind - NW fun

Joe Pelonio
11-16-2006, 8:25 AM
Officially this has been declared the wettest November on record with over 11" already at Seatac Airport. With the flooding last week saturating
the soil the windstorm we got yesterday was sure to knock down a few trees, with gusts up to 70 mph. The power went out here at the shop about 2pm, so I closed and drove home in nasty traffic with all the signal lights out. Sure enough, near home a road was closed due to a fallen tree. At home there were small branches all over and several big limbs. The largest was fir, about 25' long, 4" diameter where it broke off. Funny thing is that is was laying under cedars and alders, it had to have blown 60' from the nearest fir tree. Glad it didn't hit the house or one of the cars.

Then when I started up the generator the shutoff valve was dripping gas, not a safe situation. I called my stepfather, who knows every trick for improvising in an emergency. He told me to rub bar soap all around the leaking valve and pack it in tightly with my finger. Sure enough, that worked, ran it until 8pm when the power came back on, checking every 1/2 hour and not a drip. Ordering the new valve today.

I hope the rest of you in WA, OR, and perhaps ID are all OK.

Mitchell Andrus
11-16-2006, 9:00 AM
Crappy weather = Nature's barber.

Carry on Joe.

Mitch