PDA

View Full Version : Hobbiest Machinests

Carl Eyman
10-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Do people who do metal work (particularly machinist work) have a forum like this? Well maybe not this good, but a forum? I have an Atlas/Chraftsman bench lathe I need some advice on and haven.t been successful in searching. Carl

Bruce Page
10-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Carl, you could ask your question here – there are several machinist members, or, you might try the “Home Machinist” forum at:

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=gendiscussion

We both married well. Some accuse us both of not being able to speak the language. We both have big biceps. Well, two out of three isn’t bad. — President Bush, on California Gov.-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger

Wes Bischel
10-29-2003, 11:35 PM
For specifics, check out Yahoo discussion group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

For more general info, check out these as well as Chaski

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/Ultimate.cgi

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/c...gi/Ultimate.cgi

Hope these help, Wes

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2003, 9:55 AM
OK folks....we are stepping on rules here....

TOS:
3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are
encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing,
generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. <B>Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.</b> Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

It would be "safer" if you would simply state: You can find other groups to find out your answer by doing a google search on "blah".

I don't want to stir up a big pot of worms here.....just trying to ensure that you are aware of the rules and we must play by them. Judge you message content carefully.

Thank You from your friendly neighborhood moderator.....

Wes Bischel
10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Sorry Dennis, I had no idea this would be a problem. I won't post such things in the future.

Wes

Bart Leetch
10-30-2003, 11:12 AM
But these forums are not other wood working forums & as such do not detract or draw people away from this wood working forum to go to another wood working forum. I have often wondered where to find good machinist or metal working forums.

Ken Garlock
10-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Hi Wes. Now I may be wrong on this, but I think your URLs would be OK if you had used clickable names instead of actual URLs. If you would have called them "siteone", " sitetwo", etc., you would be in the clear. I don't understand the difference, but it seems to stay under the radar of the moderators.

There is a lot in don't understand about the rules, but I do like the forum :cool: Don't let this minor point discourage you from jumping in anytime.

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2003, 3:07 PM
Sorry Dennis, I had no idea this would be a problem. I won't post such things in the future.

Wes

Wes,

Not a problem. I just have to make sure that the TOS is followed in some form. If you post "how" to find the link instead of actually posting the link....that alone should not present a problem. This has been discussed several times in other forums here with various feelings and opinions. I'm just saying that we need to watch more closely the links we are posting as to not violate the agreed upon TOS for SMC.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wes Bischel
10-30-2003, 5:09 PM
This is by far the best (most supportive, nicest people) forum I have come across, so the last thing I want to do is go afoul of the rules. I just had not thought about it. I guess I assumed (oh, there's that bad word :eek: ) as Bart stated - not wood working so it's OK. But I understand it can get to be a slippery slope so it's better to just not do it.
I guess one way to help Carl out would have been to e-mail him directly, or as stated tell him where to find the links.

Enough said - now I know better.

Wes

Carl Eyman
10-30-2003, 9:15 PM
But, the information I got did put me in touch with people who I think can help me (in fact already have) and I haven't noticed any bad effects on this, my home away from home. Dennis, we know somebody has to monitor the rules to keep this what it is. I hope the powers that be continue to be diligent in preserving the non commercial nature of the forum while recognizing that what makes it great is the services and friendliness that exists.

I am sorry if I asked for anything improper. Sometimes it is not what you say but how you say it that matters. Maybe that is true here. Carl

Bruce Page
10-30-2003, 10:54 PM
OK folks....we are stepping on rules here....

TOS:
3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are
encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing,
generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. <B>Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.</b> Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Sorry Dennis, the rule against linking to other forums never even entered my mind. I guess it’s time to re-read the rules. :rolleyes: