PDA

View Full Version : Festool equivalents

Ken Lara
11-16-2006, 5:20 AM
Aloha,

I am considering picking up a Festool Router down the line and wanted to get an idea of how much extra to budget for with the following bits, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me figure out the Festool equivalents (mm) or the closest match for the following router bits please?

Aloha & Mahalo,

Ken

• 1/8” round over
• ¼” round over
• ½” straight with 1” cutting length
• ½” flush trim with 1” cutting length
• 45 degree chamfer
• rabbeting bit with bearing set

• 5/8” cove
• ¼” cove
• Ogee
• Slot cutter set
• Pattern
• 3/8” round nose (core box bit)
• 3/8” round over
• drawer lock
• rail and stile set
• raised panel

Barry Burgess
11-16-2006, 5:44 AM
1" =25.4mm
1/2" =12.7mm
3/8" =9.5mm
1/4" =6.3mm
I usually buy a 12mm for the 1/2" equivelent and 18mm for the 3/4" etc
Hope this helps
barry

Dan Clark
11-16-2006, 9:14 AM
Why the conversion? Are you looking to buy Festool router bits? Using a Leigh jig?

I have the OF1400; it comes with 1/4", 8mm, and 1/2" collets. I use 1/2" and a couple of 1/4" router bits. My bits are mostly Whiteside plus a couple of CMT and Bosch bits.

Regards,

Dan.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 9:17 AM
There is no reason to worry about bits you already own. As Dan mentions, the OF1400 comes with plenty of collet choices and the OF1010 comes with 1/4" and 8mm collets. I'd certainly suggest you consider using 8mm and 1/3" shank cutters for any new ones you purchase, however...more metal equals more strength and less vibration.

Dave Falkenstein
11-16-2006, 10:24 AM
As the other guys have said, use 1/4" and 1/2" bits in your Festool router. Personally, I see no particular advantage to buying 8mm bits, unless the choice is between 1/4" and 8mm, and the bit you need is not available in 1/2". I find compatibility with the other 1/4" and 1/2" routers I own to be a bigger consideration than the advantage of 8mm shanks. I own a Festool OF1400 router and not one single 8mm bit.

When you go to use your OF1400 on the guide rails, make yourself a secondary base to eliminate the need to use the "footie" on the router. Here's a previous thread about that fix:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36120&highlight=Festool+router

Dan Clark
11-16-2006, 1:51 PM
Dave,

The secondary base is a very nice solution. Do you leave that permanently installed or just attach it when you use the rail?

Thanks,

Dan.

Dave Falkenstein
11-16-2006, 4:53 PM
...Do you leave that permanently installed or just attach it when you use the rail?

Dan - The secondary base now lives on the Festool router. With the laminated surface, it works at least as well as the standard Festool base. The only reason I can think of to remove it would be to use PC bushings.

Ken Lara
11-18-2006, 6:22 AM
Aloha,

Thank you gentlemen for your comments.:) You have given me much information to consider.

"Why the conversion? Are you looking to buy Festool router bits?"
Well yes, actually, I was. At the moment, I have only a few bits on hand and wanted to flesh out the set.

Is there another brand/selection you might suggest instead, perhaps?

Aloha,

Ken

Dan Clark
11-18-2006, 9:26 AM
Ken,

I like Whiteside 1/2" shaft bits.

The 7-piece 1/2" shaft starter set at http://holbren.com/home.php is a good deal. It's $88. I don't know if it's still available, but you can get another 10% off using the discount code "woodnet10". Shipping is free.

David,

Thanks for the good info. Also, I believe that either the Leigh or Akeda dovetail jigs require 8mm shaft bits for some operations. I own neither, so I'm not sure of the details.

Dan.

Dave Falkenstein
11-18-2006, 9:57 AM
...At the moment, I have only a few bits on hand and wanted to flesh out the set.

Is there another brand/selection you might suggest instead, perhaps?

Ken - Please allow me to voice some advice on router bit purchases:

a. Don't buy large "sets". Even though they appear to be a bargain, many of the bits will go unused. Instead buy smaller sets of bits you know you will use, like a roundover set or a straight set or an "essentials" set.

b. Don't buy all high-priced, high-quality bits - at least not initially. Since you are building your router bit collection, buy from a reputable supplier that can provide good bits at a reasonable price. Look for sales, like Infinity has from time to time. Or buy from MLCS or Woodline - Woodline guarantees their bits for life - how can you beat that??? If you use a bit extensively, and you wear out a lower priced bit, then buy a replacement from Whiteside, CMT, Freud etc.

From your thread it sounds like you are a home/hobby woodworker. I am too. I simply don't go through router bits fast or frequently. I buy most of my bits from Woodline and MLCS. The investment in bits is pretty high, since you will typically "need" lots of different bits over time. Proceed slowly, buying what you need as you need it.

Dan Clark
11-18-2006, 3:39 PM
The large sets are a waste of money in most cases. The small set that I suggested has the basics:

1/4" Straight
1/2" Straight
3/8" Radius Round Over
3/8" x 1/2" Rabbet
3/8" Radius Cove
45 degree Chamfer
1/2" Flush Trim

OTOH, If you have more than one or two of these, then it's probably not worth the money.

In any case, check out Holbren. In many cases, you'll find that they have Whiteside bits for the same or just a little more money than you'd spend on lower quality bits.

Regards,

Dan.

Bruce Page
11-18-2006, 3:50 PM
Ken, to convert millimeter to inches, simply multiply by 25.4
Example; 4MM ÷ 25.4 = 0.1574

Dave Falkenstein
11-18-2006, 5:34 PM
...In any case, check out Holbren. In many cases, you'll find that they have Whiteside bits for the same or just a little more money than you'd spend on lower quality bits.

Regards,

Dan.

At your suggestion, I checked out Holbren compared to Woodline. Here are some sample results:

Slot cutter - 5/32" slot, 1/2" shank, with extra bearings
Woodline - $16.00
Holbren/Whiteside - $25.96

Cove bit - 3/4" radius, 7/8" cutting length, 1/2" shank
Woodline - $24.00
Holbren/Whiteside - $46.40

Hmmm.

Dan Clark
11-19-2006, 1:12 AM
At your suggestion, I checked out Holbren compared to Woodline. Here are some sample results:

Slot cutter - 5/32" slot, 1/2" shank, with extra bearings
Woodline - $16.00

Cove bit - 3/4" radius, 7/8" cutting length, 1/2" shank
Woodline - $24.00
Holbren/Whiteside - $46.40

Hmmm.

Dave, what's the purpose of your post? Since Whiteside is a premium bit, I'm sure that there are also many cases where the price will be higher. However, it you want to play numbers games, you should at least provide the proper numbers.

For example, if you wanted to purchase the slot cutter alone, here's the price breakdown:

Woodline - $16.00
Discount - (None?)
Shipping - $3.75
Total - $19.75

Discount - ($2.60)
Shipping - Free
Total - $23.36

So, instead of paying almost $10 more for Whiteside, in reality, you pay about $3.60 more. So now is it worth it?

Whiteside is one of the top rated router bits out there. Woodline may be a good bit, but it's not in the same league. I bought a $400 Festool router. Paying $3.60 more for a top-quality Whiteside bit seems like a no brainer to me.

Since Ken already said that he was interested in Festool router bits, therefore it seems like he wants top quality bits. For example, using the slot cutter combo that you mentioned, the Festool solution would cost MORE than the Whiteside solution.

We both gave him options. Let's leave it at that. I suspect that Ken can figure out his own cost/benefit balance without either of us telling him how.

Have a nice day Dave.

Dan.