PDA

View Full Version : Open closed? Open closed? Open closed.

Tyler Howell
11-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Open closed? Open closed? Open closed.
I need a medium duty utility trailer for lumber hauling, furniture, tools and gloating.
Thinking 6x12, dual axle, loading ramp. Can't decide on open ore covered.
Any suggestions:confused:

Rob Russell
11-15-2006, 11:22 PM
IMO, it depends on how much you'll use it for hauling lumber vs. furniture. Either way, I'd say the open trailer will be more practical 90% of the time. If you're planning to move furniture, you could always build some removeable walls and a roof that you install just when needed. Loading an open trailer is a lot easier than a closed one.

Mark Rios
11-16-2006, 1:02 AM
I'm sorry Rob, but I have to disagree here (please don't hurt me :D). With 95% or so of anything that I might want to haul/carry, I want to be able to secure it. My big trailer goes with me to jobs and I have my dogs trained to secure it when I work out of sight of the trailer for any length of time. However, when I go to the BORG, go to get lunch, want to leave whatever is in it overnight (or longer), etc., I want to be able to lock it up and not have to worry about it. Theft, weather or just prying eyes are not something that I like for my stuff.

Hauling lumber is slightly more inconvenient but that's why I also have a full size truck with a lumber rack (other than to pull the trailer of course :D ).

Tyler, I agree with you wanting dual axle. Unless you go up a bunch in price, you will generally find 3500# axles under these trailers. So, obviously, with a dual axle you will have a 7000# capacity. BUT....you have to subtract the weight of the trailer as well, which for the 6 x 12 that you're looking at will be roughly 2000# (probably a little less). With a single axle, that leaves you only 1500# of capacity.

A ramp is the way to go, for me anyway. Loading and unloading (something I do every day) is sooooooooo much nicer having a ramp than having to step up and down rolling or carrying stuff.

Another thing, I've got a side man door on mine and they are fairly common. I bought my trailer specifically set-up the way it was on the lot and it happened to have the door but I really don't use it too much. It's nice to have it there given the length of the trailer but I really have only used it for easy/quick access to regularly used stuff kept right by the door, as opposed to walking in and out of it. If you're just hauling stuff, you might save a few dollars (for more turning stuff:D) by not getting one with the side door.

You will also find different feature/quality levels within a manufacturers line of trailers, sort of like with cars and trucks. You can get a strippy with 4" "C" channel for frame rails or you can get a frame made out of big, beefy 8" box rails. You can get a spare tire or not. A strippy model will have thinner/lower quality plywood on the floor and walls (if it's even on the walls). Or you can get treated plywood for the floor and 1/2" ply/paneling for the walls. Lights and switches for the inside or not, conventional rear road lights or newer, neato LED rear brake and tail lights. Lots of diamond plate around the trailer, including the front gravel guard, or just a little diamond plate.

Make sure that the fenders are attached firmly and are made out of heavy, thick gauge material, probably aluminum. That's if you WANT your wheels outside of the cargo area, you may not want them sticking out the side and may be okay with them taking up a little room on the inside.

I'd recommend getting a vent in the roof, much nicer in the summer and allows for better ventilation for whatever you have in there.

Just my thoughts of course. YMMV

Al Willits
11-16-2006, 8:44 AM
Might kinda depend on how much ya want to spend Tyler, enclosed are nice but start to get a bit spendy, especially if your only gonna use it for the great move north, and a few times after that.

Another thing is how much can that little truck you have tow, running the weight right up to max is gonna make an unhappy truck and driver.

Enclosed is nice, but harder to load in and off of, enclosed will protect whatever you are hauling though, also open trailers would need a tarp to do that and that gets to be a pain.

Big enough trailer and you'll need to deal with brakes, more cost there, and a bit of driving habit change.

Ya get bored, run up hiway 10 past Anoka, used to be several trailer dealers there, and you probably can find something you'll like.

I think there's a few on the way to Hastings also.

If ya want GLOAT factor, get one like the drag racers use, enclosed generators, A/C, Heat, work bench's, wired for elect and lighted, and yes, probably the kitchen sink too....:D :D

Al

Robert Mickley
11-16-2006, 8:55 AM
Personly I'm a flat bed guy. If you get one with standard size stake pockets, you find you local tarp company and have them make you up a side kit. Consists of aluminum stakes, bows and a trap thats made to fit.

You can get stakes in 2 foot increments from 4FT to 8FT and bows up to 36 inches high in the center. So with 8 FT stakes and 36 inch bows it would be 11 feet high in the center :eek:

Granted it's not as secure as an enclosed trailer, but its more secure than an open trailer.

Dave Richards
11-16-2006, 9:08 AM
It's open but you could borrow mine.

Bart Leetch
11-16-2006, 9:28 AM
Here is a thought. Why not rent one style say an open trailer for 1 trip & the next time a closed trailer & see which one suits you better. Then buy the style trailer that your truck can easily tow & suits you better.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 9:42 AM
Open will be easier for loading/unloading certain types of loads. It could also be used with the tractor you are going to purchase if sized correctly. (a 6'x12' will just fit the sub-compacts and small compacts...usually if the weight rating is correct and you have brakes). Open is also more affordable. Closed, however, has advantages for hauling (and storing) stuff that is affected by the weather...

The utility trailer I'm soon to buy is going to be open and a tilt bed. (LoadRite (http://www.loadrite.com/Utility_Trailers/21/))

Tyler Howell
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
A slow steady migration north for the next year is the plan.
Three rentals and a purchase will be paid for.
Security and protection is key element but I want to be able to haul the compact tractor eventually to:rolleyes: :D :D .
Al, my little rice burner did great over the PA. mountains carrying my baby and her worldly possessions to her new home:cool: .
Thanks guys Good info here.

Frank Fusco
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
As said, enclosed are very "spendy". A heavy duty, dovetail flat bed can be bought reasonably and haul almost anything. For hauling cars or full-sized tractors, you will need 6 1/2' wide. I know, some will say 6' is OK for tractors, and it might be. Then you buy new tires and find.....Uh..Oh... too wide to get home. If you are determined to go enclosed, shop for a used stock trailer and modify to suit your needs, many of those come in 7' wide but are lacking ramps.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Of course, one must also keep in mind what the towing vehicle can handle relative to trailer size and GVW... ;) My Highlander, for example, has a 3500 lb limit for towing. Pulling a trailer adequate for my Kubota with the FEL and BH installed would push that limit.