PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw bade breakin

donnie wood
11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I just got finished read about bandsaws, and they talked about breaking in new blades but didn't tell how. Anybody know what they are talking about and how to do it?

Tony Ward
11-16-2006, 5:52 AM
I just got finished read about bandsaws, and they talked about breaking in new blades but didn't tell how. Anybody know what they are talking about and how to do it?
Interesting, I've not heard about "breaking in" bandsaw blades?

For mine install them, use them until they are either blunt or broken!

donnie wood
11-16-2006, 7:56 AM
I,ve never heard of it either. The only thing I can think of is to run it with low tention (without cutting) to heat it up alittle, then increase the tention more and let the heat maybe make it more fexable.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 9:29 AM
Doen't sound like anything to worry about, Donnie. 'Never heard of "breaking in " a band...

Erik C. Hammarlund
11-16-2006, 9:41 AM
I've heard of them breaking, but never heard of them breaking IN. Perhaps you're talking about some stuff that people do to new blades (e.g. rounding the back edges)?

Timo Christ
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Metal bandsaw blades are broken in, they are run with reduced feedrate when new in order to get a stable, slightly rounded, durable edge and no chipping or broken edges.
HTH
Timo

Ted Miller
11-16-2006, 3:23 PM
Hmm, the only thing I do is if I add new tires and a new blade I will tighten the blade over a few days til I feel its right when I am cutting...