PDA

View Full Version : Please Help (Pics re-marked)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I have encountered this pictured problem on an elm bowl. I have been sanding for over five hours covering two days and this stuff never goes away. I have used various grits of paper, wet and dry, sanded slow and fast. I have stopped the lathe and sanded in all directions but with no apparent result. On the outside the cut is clean flat and smooth yet I can't seem to get rid of the gray line. On the inside the grain seems to be raised just enough to prevent the gray color from being reached by the sanding. The gray area is rough. Any ideas would be appreciated.:confused:

Christopher Hunter
11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey Chris,
I've encountered that problem a couple of times--
but I was sanding by hand and once I switched over to a drill -- problems were solved...
but if you are using a drill for sanding, try re-cutting that area if you have any room left--
I have used elm about 4 or five times and the only thing I can think of is that it may just be the grain running in a different direction in that area--
I have had that problem in several areas not just on the rim sometimes in two or three at once--
on one occasion I had to sacrifice the shape to just cut past it --
good luck
--Chris

Joash Boyton
11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
So what are you saying is the problem? it looks like it is finished...

What stuff are you talking about?

....."and this stuff never goes away".....

The only gray line I can see is on the back of the bowl, near the lip.

Sorry, all I can see is a bowl ready for a finish.

Is this something to do with this particular piece of wood?--elm?--if so, then I have never turned elm, so that is why I'm so oblivious:)

Joash:confused::)

Jim Becker
11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
If the grey line you speak of is the one on the outside where the radius of the lip joins the body of the bowl...the solution is going to be difficult as I think there was movement since you created the form including while you were making your final cuts. It may be possible to recut/refine that area with a shear cut and blend thing back together, but that movement may require you to do that over the entire form. Power sanding (the 80-grit gouge) may also take care of it with some careful effort. It's the transition between the curves that is uneven.

Raymond Overman
11-16-2006, 7:57 AM
Christopher,

Pick up an assortment of cabinet scrapers at your local woodworking store. Use the gooseneck or concave/convex scraper to clean up the inside of the bowl in the rough area and then go back with the sand paper. Use the straight scraper to clean up the outside.

You'll need to learn how to sharpen the scrapers. I would suggest asking the store where you buy them from to demonstrate on your new set. It's not too hard but it takes some finess to get a good burr. You may feel you need a burnisher but a good hardened screw driver will work in a pinch.

I actually saw a demo on the sharpening and use but I just found this article that may be some help, http://www.woodzone.com/articles/scrapers/ . Cabinet scrapers have cleaned up some tearout messes that I've had and they're one of the cheapest tools you can buy for finish work.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-16-2006, 8:21 AM
Ray, thanks so much. I'll get some scrapers and then let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the article as well.

Guys, thanks for the help. Between all of your advice I should be able to resolve this issue.:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-16-2006, 8:21 AM
Great tip Ray! Gonna have to get me some scrapers.