PDA

View Full Version : Sliding doors hardware

Andy Lachman
11-15-2006, 6:10 PM
I am new to this forum and a very amatuer woodworker. I am builing a cabinent that is realtively shallow, 32" wide, 28" high and 12" deep (3/4" birch plywood). I plan to use two doors just under 16" wide (flat panel with 3/4" pine). It will house an unsighltly air conditioner in my childs room; so part of the time doors remain open. It is too short for pivot doors. I do not want them to stick out too much.
I have been searching for a track system that would allow most of the door to slide outside the cabinet yet reman attached to the cabinet. I do not mind the doors sticking out parallel to the unit becuase they will be flush with a surrounding book case. Does anyone know if any hardware like that exists? Perhaps something that works like a draw slide but turned 90 degrees. Any other sugestions?

The best I came up with grooving the doors and using magic wire top and bottom.

Thank you for your help

Greg Sznajdruk
11-15-2006, 6:32 PM
Check Lee Valley, They sell hardware for television cabinets where the doors open then slide inside the cabinet. This maybe a solution for you.

Greg

Lee Schierer
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Why not just use full extension drawer slides mounted top and bottom to each door. When closed they would not show and they could be fully extended when needed to mover the doors out of the way. Full extension type slides don't care what they are supporting. You might even be able to use just one slide per door.

Andy Lachman
11-16-2006, 3:35 PM
Lee
Thank you for your reply
Good idea but I am concerned they would not support weight when turned on the side or not sure if they would slide properly
Any idea what weight draw slides hold. Will the slides bend when extended? Perhaps yoou can suggest a type off slide that will funciton
Greg
I appreciate yoour repsonse as well. The soruce you named only carries traditonal pivot slides that are too short for this task. however they will be a good source for othe projects

Mark Rios
11-16-2006, 4:28 PM
They generally hold 100# to 125# or more. Check out these.......

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides%20/CatID/Drawer%20Slides%2C%20Full%20Extension/SubCatID/KV8400%20Series%20100%23%20Class%20

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides%20/CatID/Drawer%20Slides%2C%20Full%20Extension/SubCatID/KV6505%20Over%2DTravel%20125%23%20Class

These are from Woodworkers Hardware. This store was recommended to me here in this forum and I've found that they have low prices for the type of hardware that I like to use.

However, there are other stores that some other members can recommend that will serve you just as well. But, I believe that these are the slides that Lee is referring to and I see no reason why they wouldn't support the doors you are making.

The hardware that Greg recommends is very neat, very strong and may or not work with your application. They are a little pricey though.

HTH

Alan Turner
11-16-2006, 4:29 PM
I use two drawer slides to hold a vertical panel which carries about 10, 10" saw blades, and is 14" x 26" x 3/4". No problem with this shop cabinet.

Andy Lachman
11-18-2006, 12:04 AM
My favorite wood site, ironically that is where I began my search
Thanks much Gentleman