PDA

View Full Version : DVD Decoder software

Lee Schierer
11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
While adding a CD R/W ROM to my computer, I inadvertantly affected the DVD/CD ROM software. When I try to play a DVD in my computer, it says I need a "software decoder" to play the disk. The only disks that came with the computer are complete system restore disks that will take it back to the as purchased condition several years ago. Does any one know where I can get a software decoder that will work with the Windows ME version DVD player program? I will be replacing the computer soon and don't want to buy a software package or new DVD player.

I already tried the Samsung site and they do not offer anything for this DVD reader except firm ware updates. It is a Samsung SD-612

Mark Patoka
11-15-2006, 2:10 PM
I had a problem with DVDs not playing recently due to some system upgrade. A friend recommended DivX, which you can find for free, and it's been working for me.

Lee Schierer
11-15-2006, 4:45 PM
Mark, from what I read on their site, it does not appear to read dvds that were created in another format. I need to read commercial dvd's that have already been recorded. I have an instruction video dvd that was purchased, will this program read it?

Loy Hawes
11-16-2006, 3:26 AM
Media Player Classic (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm)