PDA

View Full Version : Robut lathe

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:57 AM
Anybody here have experience with this lathe?
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=ROBUST2528&Category_Code=LATHE

It is costly, but is American made.

Brian McInturff
11-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I looked real hard at the Robust. Along with the Oneway 2416 and the Stubby. I finally decided on the Stubby. For the amount of money I feel the Stubby offered more and was a little more refined around the edges. To some degree the Robust as good as it may be has the look of being built in a small shop(Not that that means anything). I've heard nothing but good comments about it.

John Shuk
11-15-2006, 5:41 PM
They seem pretty well done. I think they came out with a 16" swing at the national symposium as well.

Jim Becker
11-15-2006, 9:19 PM
I believe that Sam Blasco bought one awhile back, but he hasn't had time to comment if he did take delivery. It does look like a fine machine. In fact, their swing away tailstock accomodation has been, um... "admired"...by the mayo people now... ;)

Dario Octaviano
11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
In fact, their swing away tailstock accomodation has been, um... "admired"...by the mayo people now... ;)

I maybe the oddball but I personally think (a dangerous thing) the swing away feature as a negative. Good thing that it is only an option.

I don't want my headstock on a moving part as much as possible.

The lathe looks super...only thing that don't like is the leg design. I wish it is cast or atleast welded solid.

Love the bearing specs, warranty, and the SStl bed.

Phil Powell
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
I have a Robust lathe and I'm as happy as anyone could with a machine. It's extremely solid, very powerful and quiet as an empt church. I bought it with the swing away tail stock and now zi wouldn't own a lathe without this feature. Thelegs are adjustable for height and the spread at thier base make them very stable. With the adjustable pads on the bottom of the legs the is able to reside on any crumby concrete floor. It isn't a cheap lathe but quality is rarely inexpensive. Each Robust lathe is built for each owner at the time of purchase. Brent (Robust owner) is a good guy and works with you as you become an owner. I bought mine over a year ago and I still talk with Brent and appreciate the support he gives to each and every owner of his lathes. I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet this kind of product support is pretty rare when the largest percent of all the lathes now sold in the US are imported from an asian country. Robust is a great product!

Charles E. Martin V
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Dario your concerns are outlined in the manual. So I guess you'll have to buy one to read that part. :)

Dario Octaviano
11-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Dario your concerns are outlined in the manual. So I guess you'll have to buy one to read that part. :)

Oh man!!! I barely used my PM!!! Is there a free trial period and a 100% money back return policy? :D

Anyway, just to clarify, the "dangerous thing" mentioned above is not the lathe...it is about me thinking :p .

I am sure Robust lathe's are great and I won't mind owning one...if I can afford it :(

Frank Fusco
11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I maybe the oddball but I personally think (a dangerous thing) the swing away feature as a negative. Good thing that it is only an option.

The lathe looks super...only thing that don't like is the leg design. I wish it is cast or atleast welded solid.

Love the bearing specs, warranty, and the SStl bed.

I am informed by one seller http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=ROBUST2528&Category_Code=LATHE

that the legs are very heavy metal and sturdy. Plus they are designed to be closed in so they can be filled with lead shot or sand for extra weight.

Charles E. Martin V
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I misread that Frank, sorry. The legs have shelf brackets and are not enclosed. You can add a shelf and put what looks to be a good 20 bags of sand under there.

Phil Powell
11-17-2006, 12:33 PM
here's my Robust.....it's areal work horse. it's being guarded
by my work dog. Both of them are the best.

Frank Fusco
11-17-2006, 4:45 PM
I misread that Frank, sorry. The legs have shelf brackets and are not enclosed. You can add a shelf and put what looks to be a good 20 bags of sand under there.

How can I ever forgive you? ;)

Jim Becker
11-17-2006, 8:26 PM
Dario, I can't see how the swing-away "parking spot" for the tailstock would in any way cause danger. In fact, it's major purpose is to help folks avoid lifting a very heavy thing on and off the lathe when it's not needed. There have been some very sore toes out there, especially with some of the, um...mature turners...who cannot lift heavy things as easily as they once did. The tailstock with my Stubby is definitely a "two-hander", as are those on the Robust, OneWay and other "full size" machines.

BTW, this accomodation is for the tailstock, not the headstock... ;)

Dario Octaviano
11-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Jim,

Again...the "dangerous thing" I was referring to is my "thinking" :p

I know it is for the tailstock BUT it is also for the headstock. If I understood it right, you swing the tailstock away then move the headstock to the vacant spot after. That is what I was referring to as moving area.

I know too that the tailstock of these full size are heavy...I own a PM 3520B. :D