PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form with lid/box.....critique please

Joash Boyton
11-15-2006, 8:26 AM
My recent project, from today....

Base is Marri, the main body is a mixture of lace-sheoak, and some other really tight grain, it is actually the root of a Sheoak tree. The lid-base is Lace Sheoak(see closeup), and the finial is African Blackwood.

All sanded to 2000G, and then finished with shellawax cream. It is hollowed out to a thickness of 2mm, or 1/10", so it feels like an egg-shell. Height is 320mm, or 13", and the width (at widest point) is 140mm, or 6".

This will go to Form (http://www.form.net.au/), or Kings Park (http://www.form.net.au/retaila.html) soon.

Sorry for the bodgy photographs....

All comments and critiques are appreciated,

Joash:cool:

Harvey M. Taylor
11-15-2006, 9:16 AM
Hi Joash,
Looks like you are on top of this turning thing. Keep 'em coming, Max

Jonathon Spafford
11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Cool going, Joash!! What did you use to hollow it?? Musta been scary turning it down to 1/10". Did you sand and finish the inside?? Really beautiful piece!

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-15-2006, 12:37 PM
OK! Thats it!! Your grounded little mister!!!! Now go to your room and think about what you've done! You keep on showing up your elders like this there's gonna be consequences! LOL!!!!:D

Nice job Joash. I like it a lot. Are your sure your only 14?

Mark Pruitt
11-15-2006, 1:50 PM
Now go to your room and think about what you've done!:D
Kurt, the lathe is in his room.:eek: :p :D

Joash, that's some very nice work. With that level of talent you have a great future ahead. You ask for a critique. Gee whiz..... OK let me try. Maybe a smaller foot, maybe a narrower neck between base and box....but that's personal preference. That's a very, very nice piece.

Cody Colston
11-15-2006, 2:13 PM
Only fourteen? Sheesh.

That's a beautiful piece. I, too, would have made the foot a bit smaller but that's just personal preference.

So, when was the last time you had Raffan over for a visit? :)

Paul Engle
11-15-2006, 3:32 PM
You spend too much time on your lathe, when I was 14 ..... or was it 15 ? :eek: , i ferget , Great job Joash, keep it up.:D

Stephen Hibbs
11-15-2006, 6:37 PM
Joash, that is an amazing piece, but I would suggest hollowing the lid too if you're making the body so light. From the picture it looks like the lid is solid, which probably detracts a little from the amazingly thin body. Otherwise an amazing piece, I just wish I could make something that nice.

Joash Boyton
11-15-2006, 6:48 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I turned 15 on the first of November, so.....

I hollowed it out with a 3/4" bowl gouge, round nose scraper, and the sorby hollowing chisel.

No, it is not sanded and finished on the inside, I sanded as far as I could reach with my fingers from 60-600, so it is smooth....

I only know Mr. Raffan through emails, but I do know Jack devos personally, see his website (http://jackdevos.com/), I personally think he is the best turner in the world. He lives 2 hours from me.

Very thin, but the base is a little heavy, the lid does'nt seem to to do much, but I am thinking of knocking of the base, and making a nicer one, I never tried a base like that.

Only took 2 1/2 hours:rolleyes:, but it should have only taken 45 minutes, but I spent more time on the lid than anything else:eek: I have had very little experience in lid turning, but I was happy with this one:)

Anyway, hope to put some more on for critique in the near future,

Joash:)

Corey Hallagan
11-15-2006, 7:28 PM
Excellent Josh! I love that shape and may try one something like that myself. I really like the elevated boxes. Please keep posting your work, I am enjoying it!

Corey

Joash Boyton
11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks, bowls I have turned at least 500, but boxes I've only turned around 30, so as you can see I need practise..

Thanks for all the comments, allthough not much critique..

Joash:)

Brett Baldwin
11-16-2006, 1:07 AM
Overall I like the shape and the woods except for the base. I don't know if the color on the pictures is just off or what but the base wood doesn't go with the rest IMHO. I think the proportion and shape flow well and the wall thickness would be great to feel in hand, its just the color of that base that bugs me. Then again, I'm not making a living at critiqueing art so take it for what its worth.

Joash Boyton
11-16-2006, 1:16 AM
no, all critique is fine, I need more.

Every day, I get an average of 10 emails from people all over the world...literally, congradulating me on my work. I get 100 compliments for every critique, so keep it all coming, it's got me a long way, and still will.