PDA

View Full Version : 6 vs. 8 jointer

Ed Gibbons
11-15-2006, 7:56 AM
I might have a pretty good deal on a 6" long bed powermatic jointer....

Should I hold out for an 8"....
Thanks.
Ed

Kyle Kraft
11-15-2006, 8:31 AM
If its a great deal, buy it, and use it until the next great deal comes along. Buy the next great deal and sell the old one to help offset the cost of the new deal. That is how I gradually built up my tool collection.

Al Willits
11-15-2006, 8:38 AM
One of the reasons I went a 8" jointer was the longer bed, figuring I need all the help I can get to keep the wood flat to the bed.
I looked at the long bed 6" versions and the cost was close enough to the 8" version I just upgraded to the even longer bed 8".

A long bed 6" at the right price may just be the way to go, depending on what size wood and how much your planing on using the jointer.

Still new to the game, but for me the 8" was a good choice so far, as I've run some pretty long boards though with out any/much snipe.

Al

lou sansone
11-15-2006, 8:46 AM
I think you will find in the long run that the wider jointer will give you more options for jointing and flattening your stock. I would definitely hold out. Over the years I have moved from a 6 to 8 to a 16 and don't regret it at all.

Lou

scott spencer
11-15-2006, 8:49 AM
The 8" gives you added capacity in both dimensions, plus some added mass and usually more HP.

That said, if you think you can resell the 6" easily for what you paid, there's very low risk in grabbing it now, and waiting for a sweet deal on an 8".

Gary Keedwell
11-15-2006, 9:08 AM
I might have a pretty good deal on a 6" long bed powermatic jointer....

Should I hold out for an 8"....
Thanks.
Ed
Knowing what I know now, I would save all the hassles and just go for the 8" and get it over with!!!

Gary K.

Allen Bookout
11-15-2006, 9:20 AM
If its a great deal, buy it, and use it until the next great deal comes along. Buy the next great deal and sell the old one to help offset the cost of the new deal. That is how I gradually built up my tool collection.

Very well put Kyle! I think that the key words concerning a 6" jointer are "great deal" as there are a lot of them out there from guys moveing up to 8" ones. If it were a good 8" jointer "good deal" might be good enough.

Brian Ross
11-15-2006, 9:21 AM
Just traded from a 8 inch to a 12 inch but the biggest advantage that the 8 inch had over the 6 inch that I started with was the longer bed.I would buy the 6 inch and upgrade later if it is a good bargain.
Brian