PDA

View Full Version : Raising Height of Table Saw

Howard Levine
11-14-2006, 10:54 PM
I would like to raise my Grizzly cabinet saw a few inches so the table top is the same height as some of my tools on taller homemade mobile bases. Also I am tall and would prefer a higher table.

The saw is currently in a Shopfox mobile base. I would prefer not to take off the wings. Two ideas I am considering are building a ramp to roll it and the mobile base onto a several inch plywood platform or somehow levering up half of the base at a time to slide plywood between it and the mobile base.

Looking for suggestions/experiences.

Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-15-2006, 9:32 AM
Howard, it sounds like you'll not be using the mobile base once you raise the saw, so my recommendation would be to eliminate it and just use levers to raise one side; block it up; do the other side; repeat as needed to get to the height you need. I wouldn't be comfortable with a mobile base on a small platform...accidents happen. If you need the mobility, do the same, but install the blocking inside of the mobile base, being sure to anchor the tool to the riser for safety. Do remember you need to extend your table legs on the right side, too, if there are any.

glenn bradley
11-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Jim's got it. A barrel jack will come in handy. Do a little at a time so you don't "rack stress" the cabinet.

Derek Hansen
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I just ordered a new cabinet saw with a table height of 34" - I am 6'-4" so I think I want to jack this thing up like 4". If I stack 5 pieces of 3/4" MDF about the size of the base and set it on top is that sturdy enough?

If I put it on a mobile base is there a way to get the increased height as well?

There have to be plenty of other people out there that do this but I can't find much on the subject. Just want to make sure I do this simply and safely.

Mike Spanbauer
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I did that exact thing with my PM66, only I used Melamine (in case any spills occurred, it'll handle them better.)

I'm 6'3" and put 3" of lift under my saw (4 x 3/4") while still keeping it in the mobile base. Inside my PM66 there were 2 "ears" in opposite corners for attachment to a floor in a production shop. I simply lagged a couple 3" bolts through all 4 layers once the saw was in position and it's sturdy as a rock. I very, very rarely move the saw around, but having that freedom has proven valuable a couple of times.

mike

Greg Cole
02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I put a "lift kit" on my 8" jointer cause I'm taller than what any engineer ever builds anything to. 2x4 frame with 3/4 ply top set inside the Shop Fox mobile base.... perfect height for me now. As I've been buying more rough cut lumber now, I find a long session of jointing much easier on the lower back. I screwed the lift kit to the base & screwed the jointer to the platform of the lift kit.
Getting the tool on the "lift kit" was done with my back and a couple 2x4's for levers. I chose to leave the beds on as they're about as perfect as I can get them....

Greg

John Cooper2
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Was trying to find a pic of what I did.

I am 6'6" and always felt like I was bent over to saw anything. I built a steel base out of 6" channel iron. then I put 2" levelers under that. Raised it up about 8" which sounds like alot, but it is perfect for me.

This is on a older Unisaw.

Sometimes people think it is in the clouds, but for me it is perfect.

Found them

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/jcoop0001/Delta%20Unisaw/saw4.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/jcoop0001/Delta%20Unisaw/saw1.jpg

Greg Muller
02-01-2008, 1:30 PM
Nice, John!
Is that welded or bolted together?

Greg

John Gornall
02-01-2008, 2:23 PM
Cabinet saws have a base below the cabinet that rest on the floor or mobile base. You could add height between this base and the main cabinet. I'm about to remove the base on my Unisaw and put the main cabinet diectly on a mobile base I've designed.

James Suzda
02-01-2008, 2:58 PM
As long as you have built several other mobile bases, why don't you just build another one for your cabinet saw. You can probably use the casters from the ShopFox base and make a nice big base that would encompass the extension wings. Then you will not have some "jerryrigged" base with stacks of plywood or pallets.
Anyway, that is what I'd do!

John Cooper2
02-01-2008, 3:06 PM
Greg, Yes it is welded. The feet are adjustable so I can level it also.

Nice, John!
Is that welded or bolted together?

Greg

Josiah Bartlett
02-02-2008, 3:56 AM
I have a Shop Fox base as well. I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well if you flipped it over and bolted the casters on upside down. Then bolt your saw to the base. You will lose your little depression for the saw to sit in but you will get a couple inches of height out of it.