PDA

View Full Version : Why did this happen? What should I do?

Jason Christenson
11-14-2006, 8:38 PM
Tonight I went to grab my bottle of "Hot Stuff" CA glue to fix something only to discover that the glue had melted through the bottom of the bottle and made a big mess on the shelf. I assume that this happened recently since none of the bottles that were around it were permanently bonded to the shelf, I was able to wipe them all clean.

Any idea what might have caused this?

More importantly, any suggestions for what I could put the $15 worth of glue that didn't leak out in to save it?

Thanks,
Jason

Gary DeWitt
11-14-2006, 9:44 PM
Any possibility there was something else on that shelf, like acetone, MEK or laquer thinner? Is it possible the bottle actually melted from the outside in? Other than that, I'm stumped...
The hobby shop I get my CA from sells spare empty bottles.

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I've had this happen with plastic bottles of accelerator - and it happens pretty darn quick. Never seen it on a glue bottle before - odd.

I'd imagine any old clean jar would work. Punch a small hole in the lid so air can circulate, and use it up.

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:52 AM
Do a search for 'nalgene'. Bottles made from this stuff, a type of super-plastic as impervious to just about anything. I'm sure there is something it will yield to but, for the most part, is solvent proof. Expensive but will solve your problem.

Jason Christenson
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm still mystified by this. There was nothing around this bottle that would dissolve plastic, and, in any case, nothing else was leaking.

Mark Pruitt
11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
How old is it? I have no idea if age could cause this; I'm as stumped as you are, but I'm wondering if the bottle could have been decomposing for a long time and finally gave way.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jason Christenson
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
How old is it? I have no idea if age could cause this; I'm as stumped as you are, but I'm wondering if the bottle could have been decomposing for a long time and finally gave way.:confused: :confused: :confused:

It was about a year old.

Dick Strauss
11-15-2006, 1:14 PM
Jason,
From the pics it looks like the bottom of the bottle may have been already cracked. Do you see the jagged corner of the hole? If the glue melted its way out, the perimeter of the hole would be smoother. My guess is that the bottle had a crack that began to leak. As it leaked onto the shelf, the reaction of the CA glue generated lots of heat and melted the rest of the bottom.

Ron Ainge
11-15-2006, 1:26 PM
I buy C A in 16oz bottles and use the small 2oz bottles to work with. As the small bottles get covered with the glue which happen quite frequently I put the bottles in a jar of acetone for a few days to disolve the glue. As you can see I reuse the small bottles many time and the only time I have had a problem is when the glue get so thick on the small bottle that I crack the plastic letting the glue seep out. I think that this may have happened to you, when the glue seeped out of the bottle and set up it created so much heat that it disolved the bottle.