PDA

View Full Version : I did what everyone said not to do!!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-14-2006, 7:44 PM
I know! You cant turn anything good out of Oak!! Well...:p. I guess I'm just a rebel at heart. 9 1/2" X 3 1/4" Sanded to 600 grit; Poly and Wax finish. Spalted White Oak.:rolleyes:

Mike Vickery
11-14-2006, 7:54 PM
Very nice piece. I have heard that red oak is pretty bad but that white oak is not to bad to turn. I have never turned either though.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-14-2006, 8:06 PM
Very nice piece. I have heard that red oak is pretty bad but that white oak is not to bad to turn. I have never turned either though.Thanks Mike, neither red or white is bad to turn but red is easy to crack and warp. Other than that and some black rust not bad at all. I just today turned the most beautiful blank of wet White Oak. it hadn't been cut for more that three hours. It was a joy to turn and I can't wait to finish it. It is in the DNA now. Try some what can it hurt?:)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2006, 8:38 PM
What a rebel you are Chris! Nicely done! I like the form and the wood.

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2006, 8:40 PM
.....Try some what can it hurt?..... Best advice I've seen all day.

Jim Becker
11-14-2006, 8:43 PM
It's not that there is anything "wrong" with turning oak...it's just a bear to turn! But you know what...you do a good job on it!! Bravo. Nice piece.

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 8:44 PM
Nice job on that one.:D

Oak isn't my favorite, but it's way better than some of the stuff I've used: I recall a wenge-and-lacewood laminated bowl that was like driving behind a gravel truck the whole time I was turning it. Of course I usually turn dry wood so I probably have a higher-than-average pain threshold. :eek:

Corey Hallagan
11-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Like Mike said, white oak is the preferred oak for turning. I liken it more to ash which I like to turn. I think you did another great job! You have become one of the king of spalts around here.

Corey

Curt Fuller
11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
That's a nice bowl Chris. The thing I like about oak is the rays (sp) that you don't see in most other wood.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2006, 9:21 AM
Yep you be a rebel but sure is a purty bowl. Nice job.

Keith Burns
11-15-2006, 9:34 AM
Great bowl Chris:) :) I agree with you that there isn't anything wrong with oak. Just different to turn.

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:43 AM
That must be trick photography. :D Very nice.

Ernie Nyvall
11-18-2006, 7:46 AM
That's a nice one Chris. You are The Oak Man.:D

Bill Simpson
11-18-2006, 9:47 PM
I've turned Oak before (both Red & White) it is a PITA but it looks like you mastered the piece from looking at your pictures. What did you use to fill the grain? Paste Wood Filler? My favorite filler. Thanks for the posting.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-19-2006, 6:28 AM
I've turned Oak before (both Red & White) it is a PITA but it looks like you mastered the piece from looking at your pictures. What did you use to fill the grain? Paste Wood Filler? My favorite filler. Thanks for the posting. Bill, I don't use anything to fill the grain. I'm not sure what you mean as I'm not all that versed in woodworking like many of the guys. I just turn sand and finish, all with LOL.:) By the way, what is a "PITA"?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-19-2006, 6:29 AM
Thanks everyone, but if you really liked this one wait until you see the next Oak.:)

John Hart
11-19-2006, 7:17 AM
A little rebellion is a good thing every now and then. Nice work Chris!