PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players - Advise needed

Dennis Peacock
11-14-2006, 2:56 PM
I'm looking for a 1GB or 2GB MP3 player that I can get 2 of my kids for Christmas. I'm not into spending $100+ for each of them, so the price will need to be under $100 each. I would love to get them and iPod....but I have 2 other kids to buy for. ;)

What ya say?

Rob Russell
11-14-2006, 3:08 PM
Dennis,

I bought LOML an iPod Nano and she loves it. I also understand your budget/kid constraints.

I'd suggest looking at some of the memory card-based players, like the ones that use Secure Digital memory cards. The nice thing about those is that the kids can develop a collection of 3-4 memory cards with different categories or mixes of music on them and switch between cards. That gives them a way to grow their MP3 listening capabilities without buying a new player.

An example is the Lexar LDP-200.

Rob

Chuck Wintle
11-14-2006, 4:23 PM
Have a look at Sandisk or Samsung. They each make some models in the $100 price range with 1GB of storage space.

Mark Rios
11-14-2006, 4:42 PM
Dennis, this EXACT question came up on a computer talk show that I listen to on the radio. The hosts reply was (and this is a quote), "When your kids say they want an MP3 palyer, they're saying that they want an iPod. When they unwrap any other brand, they won't be surprised, they will be just eeehhhgggttt!" (think short buzzer sound). There are other players out there that will do just fine but, the iPod is the hip player that they want.

Here is the answer to your problem;

The new iPod shuffles (2nd generation) hold 1GB and cost $79. My first gen 1GB shuffle holds somewhere around 12-14 hours of music. More than two days worth of listening while I'm working without hearing the same song twice. The new models have a better battery, they are smaller (=cooler), and are half the price of the first gen's. If they aren't on the shelves yet then they will be in a couple of days.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Shuffle-Metal-2nd-Generation/dp/B000EPJL1A/sr=8-1/qid=1163539919/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4328333-8534454?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

A quick update!!!..........I just now this minute talked to my friend who owns an Apple reseller store and they told me that they are now on the shelves.

Excuse me, I need to go pick mine up that I had ordered for me. :D :D :D

P.S. Buy them quick if you're going to. They WILL go quick.

Rob Russell
11-14-2006, 6:12 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a hard-drive based MP3 player for kids. I think you're asking for a HD crash based on normal (ab)use the kids will give it.

John Shuk
11-14-2006, 7:26 PM
The online apple store has them too.

Art Mulder
11-14-2006, 8:35 PM
Dennis,

If you want an iPod, go to apple.com/store, (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore) scroll to the bottom, and click on "refurb ipod" on the left side. Changes all the time, depending on inventory, but you can find good deals if you keep your eyes open. There's a 1GB iPod shuffle there for $59 right now.

...art (who has neither, and knows nothing about any other brands.)

Tim Morton
11-14-2006, 9:02 PM
Yup...the NEW iPod shuffles would be the cool thing to get your kids. But buy them now or you may be out of luck. Lots of people could not find Nano's last year. Check dealmac.com and search for iPod or Shuffle. and just make sure you are getting the new second gen shuffle. This is the second gen shuffle:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodshuffle&cid=AOSA10000025758&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-z4DJdBp3oU9J1ZF0lsKP8w

the refurb on the apple sight is the first gen. spend the extra 20 bucks and get the new second gen.

Joash Boyton
11-15-2006, 1:06 AM
Here (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/c/mp3-players/) are some good priced players, note all prices are in AU $, so they are cheaper

Joash

Art Mulder
11-15-2006, 7:19 AM
Dennis, this EXACT question came up on a computer talk show that I listen to on the radio. The hosts reply was (and this is a quote), "When your kids say they want an MP3 palyer, they're saying that they want an iPod.

Mark has a good point -- depends on your kids of course.

But, if the sticker price is a concern, consider this. You could just buy them each an Apple Gift card. Slap $50, 75, or $100 on the card and let them decide: They can either buy the iPod shuffle, or save up and add their own money to it to get a larger Nano.

I know, gift cards aren't exactly as "nice" as a real (ie: non-cash) gift, but in this case, given the price limits, It might be the way to go.

...art

ps: as I said, i haven't got any mp3 player myself. HOWEVER, I would NOT buy a Shuffle. I would save up for the Nano. Why? because I would want the larger capacity, and I would want the display + wheel so that I can easily navigate through the selections.