PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Replacing bathroom ceiling

Dick Holt
10-29-2003, 10:14 AM
My house is 23 years old. The bathroom ceiling (skim coat of plaster over blueboard) was never painted on the advice of the plasterer. After raising two girls who loved to take loooong hot showers, the plaster started to deteriorate. I tried to paint it, but it wouldn't stick. Can I just screw another layer of sheetrock (green board) over the existing? If so, what should I do at the joint where the ceiling and wall meet, cover it with molding or tape and joint compound. Thanks for your help.
Dick

Mike Evertsen
10-29-2003, 2:29 PM
the way I would do it is to rip out the plaster then green board it tape and sand all joints and then paint first a primer coat then a semi gloss coat,,,going over the exsiting ceiling might work if it is solid and smooth,,,,,,

Charles McKinley
10-30-2003, 9:21 AM
Hi Dick,

If there is not a vent fan in the bathroom install one when you re-do the ceiling. If not it will take longer but the paint will eventually peel due to moisture getting into the plaster.

Jason where are you????? (resident painting proffessional extrodinaire(sp))

My suggestion would be to replace the existing plaster board or find some way to dry it out.

Good luck

Todd Burch
10-30-2003, 9:46 AM
A medium crown or a medium sized cove moulding in the corners would circumvent any attention to the walls as part of the project. I would most likely opt for sheetrocking over what is there. Butter the existing ceiling with sheetrock compound (works like glue) before screwing the new board to it. Todd.