PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Carving Tools

Bart Goldberg
02-25-2003, 7:09 PM
I'd like to try my hand at carving but I know nothing about it. Can anyone recommend what tools to buy and where to buy them.

Thanks
Bart:)

George Troy Hurlburt
02-25-2003, 8:09 PM
I do a little carving and some of my tools came from:
www.stubaidirect.com. There is books and magazines on carving and web searches which will help steer you in the right direction. I belong to a local carving club in Wichita KS. Because of the snow I missed the Carve-in tonight - dogon't. GT

Steve Schoene
02-25-2003, 8:59 PM
On the short list for being the best currently made are the Pfeil Swiss Made carving tools. And they come ready to use. They are sold by Woodcraft, but that is NOT the best place to buy them. Woodcraft has the exclusive U.S. license and uses it to have a LARGE mark up. But, you can mail order them from Canada for MUCH less. I can't find my bookmark but google can find it.

Steven Wilson
02-26-2003, 1:00 AM
I've been very satisfied with Two Cherries carving tools. I get mine from http://www.antiquetools.com/

robertfsmith
02-26-2003, 1:28 AM
All I know is don't go cheap. You get what you pay for. I bought a cheap $20 set of carving tools and they won't hold an edge long enough to even get started carving. They were so cheap that the made in China label was a sticker that fell off the handle when I pulled it from the box.:D

GEDunton
02-26-2003, 6:45 AM
Bart, The swiss made mentioned above are the best generally available. Don't be tempted to buy a set>you'll end up with about a quarter of them that will not fit your needs. Determine what you are planning to do, them select the specific gouges that do the job. A lot of carving can be done with a half dozen or less gouges. I used to do a lot of carving, and added as needed. Welll you can get a bit of $ tied up when you pass 70 gouges. But they should last many generations.

If you have a specific project I mind as a start, I can give you a guess as to the "starter set" that would fit.

Hope this helps.

Carl Eyman
02-26-2003, 1:06 PM
That's the name of the Canadian source for Swiaa Made. I recommend their prices and their service. They have an on-line catalog and order form. Also they have a much better inventory than Woodcraft. Also I just got a catalog from Wood Carvers Supply (www.woodcarverssupply.com) They have an excellent selection. As to sets, I agree shy away. However, I did once buy a 5 piece Flex-Cut set and have used the heck out of it. Enjoy

Keith Harper
02-26-2003, 2:27 PM
My wife and I have found that the Flexcut palm carving tools are great. We bought a complete set at first and all but two proved less than useless. TREELINE is a good source of tools. Contact at treelineusa.com or call at 1-800-598-2743 to order. Be cautious in buying. What type of carving do you plan on doing? Often only a very few toolswill get you started. Hope this helps. Keeith