PDA

View Full Version : Better sig line info

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I've changed my sig line to include my machine and predominant software setup. If we all did this, calls for help and responses would go more smoothly. Needing to ask "what's your driver (machine, wattage, version)?" wastes some time and slows the process.

Knowing I'm reading a call for help from someone with a 35W Universal with Corel Version 11 vs a 60W Laserpro with Corel Version X3 gets us both a big step towards a faster helpful response.

Mitch

Bruce Volden
11-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Good idea!!

Bruce

Karin Voorhis
11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Me being so green and all wow I am thinking.....

This is a great idea and so very helpful when reading a lot of posts if ev eryone jumps on the band wagon with this one.!!!!!!!! :D

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what that accomplishes:

1. If someone is asking for help, that information should absolutely be in the text of the post, at least if the poster expects useful answers.

2. If someone is asking a brand-specific question and a responder doesn't have specific knowledge of that brand, the responder should say so in the response. (Or maybe not bother to hit the 'submit' button.)

3. If someone is asking a non-brand-specific question, what they really need to know is whether the responder has the knowledge and experience to answer the question, not what hardware/software they like.

The amount of information that can be conveyed via sig-line won't make up for a lack of communication skills.

(And yes, I recognize the irony of saying that, given the length of my sig.)

Tim Goldstein
11-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I have participated in a number of forums where it was normal to put the equipment you are running in the signature. It is nice to know a persons point of reference in regard to hardware and software when they are making a comment. I also like to see the persons location in the signature. Helps me keep track of who is who and who to ask if you want to know about something in a particular area.

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2006, 1:01 PM
Yea Lee, I know it won't solve all of the comm. failures, but if I read a request for assistance and I see that the poster has Corel 11, I'll know on my first reply not to attach an X3 file. Settings on my 60W will be wrong for a 35W, etc.

I've asked for help and have gotten some ULS-based advise. My bad for not noting my Laserpro equipment in the massage. Now, I can't forget to note this sometimes important info. The newbies who haunt for the first few months will get the idea too.

Mitch

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 1:09 PM
Yea Lee, I know it won't solve all of the comm. failures...
The newbies who haunt for the first few months will get the idea too.I hear what you're saying, but it still sounds like "putting your resume on a bumper sticker".

(Note also that sigs are "global" here: if you post in the other forums, that info won't make any sense.)

Mike Shauer
11-14-2006, 1:19 PM
I thought that was what the profile was for.

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2006, 1:56 PM
Yea, I thought of that, but most of us are at the laser section 'cause we are laser oriented. Most posts on the general forum, if machine oriented, say so up front,

Knowing that someone is in Nebraska (in the header) makes it unnecessary for me to suggest that someone needing repair help call my saleman/service office in Mass. I can avoid posting on this one.

"ULS 35W" in the sig will be noticed by anyone needing the info in order to make a better reply and will be ignored by anyone answering my router question in another section. Not confusing, just not relevant.

Last post.

Mitch

Nancy Laird
11-14-2006, 2:01 PM
I've changed ours, and I think Mitchell's idea has huge merit. If someone in the turning forum wants to know what that all means, they can ask, and maybe learn something. Besides, there may be someone in one of the other forums who wants laser work.

Karin Voorhis
11-14-2006, 2:26 PM
I hope being so new it is ok to jump back in here. Being new I can say post the type of laser will help a lot... I have read many of many posts where it says I use 40% speed 85% power to do this or that..... OK great info but oppps forgot to mention I have a 60 watt machine and not a 30 watt and wow did thoose settings mess up when I used the

Or else you get the extra post from someone always saying thank you so the settings what siz laser are you using?????

This sig line could solve at least these two on going small no real big deal issues but they are there.

Jeff Lehman
11-14-2006, 2:41 PM
Can't believe this subject generated so much traffic :D

But I do think its a good idea....

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 2:43 PM
Some of you might also want to read paragraph I.E.4 of the TOS. Mitchell's suggestion doesn't violate it, but it sure could lead to violations.

Nancy Laird
11-14-2006, 3:26 PM
Some of you might also want to read paragraph I.E.4 of the TOS. Mitchell's suggestion doesn't violate it, but it sure could lead to violations.

"Links are not allowed in signatures. Signatures may not be gratuitous commercial advertisements containing promotional offers, sales, or other marketing efforts."

Since putting the type of machine and graphics program we use in our sig lines is not a commercial advertisement, promotional offer, sales or marketing effort, I fail to see how putting this information in a sig line would be a violation. And I don't see how it could lead to a violation.

If that's a violation, then my own sig line stating the things that LOML and I do is a violation. If someone is looking for lasering help, then they could contact me just as easily through my old sig line than the new one, and the new one might weed out those who need a service beyond my capabilities.

I-N-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N. I thought that was what this forum was about--partially: the sharing of information and ideas and tips and help. What better way to share information than to put the information in the sig line. If it helps another Creeker, I'm all for it!!

My thoughts, worth about $1.98.

Nancy

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 3:39 PM
If that's a violation, then my own sig line stating the things that LOML and I do is a violation.I'll let the moderators work that one out.

But now that you mention it, I'd like to know how posting complete unsolicited contact information for your business is different from advertising.

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2006, 7:08 PM
Lee, I agree that posting the type of work performed for a fee in the sig and/or a URL is advertizing, but posting the make of laser/software we use isn't. I think there's a big difference.

Just about everyone posting on the laser portion of the Creek is in the 'laser business' given the cost of our toys... tools. We at the laser hangout are a bit special as the general and other categories host mostly serious hobbyists.

I think the fact that we post on the laser board in the first place tells anyone interrested that we own lasers. Indicating the maker of the unit we own can't be construed as an ad.

Mitch

Ken Salisbury
11-15-2006, 7:13 AM
Including information about your equipment in your signature line is not a TOS violation. Direct links of any kind are forbidden as part of a signature line and violate the TOS.

Ken Salisbury

Keith Outten
11-15-2006, 8:59 AM
The issue of adding your engraving or CNC equipment and software to your signature isn't a violation of our Terms of Service. In fact I have added my equipment to my signature, it does make sense and will be helpful for some when reading posts to know what equipment the author uses. This is a common practice on many Forums.

Listing your company name in your signature can be interpreted as commercial advertising by someone who would benefit financially from the listing. It is true that almost all of our laser engraving Members are working professionally and I think everyone understands and have been very casual concerning their commercial affiliations.

Those of you who are new may not know that we do have a place where you can list your web link. If you click on the Members name you will se a dropdown menu, their web link if they have one is listed on the menu. You can place or edit your web link by clicking on the UserCP link on the blue menu bar at the top of the page.

Without going into a lot of detail many know that links in public forums are valuable. Should this be taken advantage of our Forums would look like a highway full of billboards causing our Staff to have to constantly edit signatures, posts and threads. This would be a workload we just could not handle so we decided not to allow any links in signatures and we are very conservative when it comes to links in posts.

A polluted Creek will have no visitors.

I'm sure everyone here has benefited financially from the collective knowledge in this Forum. Please help us out by donating, your financial support is necessary to keep this Forum available for everyone to enjoy. Your Contributor 2007 title shows that you value the information you gain here, lets try to set a good example for the other Forums with a 100% participation by our Laser Engraving and CNC Members.

Lee DeRaud
11-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Please note that it was never my intention to imply that the simple inclusion of hardware/software information in the sig was a TOS violation. I was merely noting that as the amount and detail of sig-line information about one's engraving credentials escalated, eventually the line into advertising could be crossed, as had already happened.

That said, I will continue to put required relevent information in my posts where it belongs. Anyone who wishes to disregard my questions, responses, or advice on any matter because of that is more than welcome to do so.

Frank Corker
11-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Well personally I think it is a great idea, it's a quick safe way of knowing if the person you are respondiing to has the same gear as you.