PDA

View Full Version : Is it fear or a true respect for the tool?

Tim Brooks
11-14-2006, 8:17 AM
I have been working on a project for a few weeks now that continues to evolve as I progress through it. Last night I realized something as I decided to make some cosmetic changes to the appearance of the project. I decided to pull out the router and table to add different profiles to the project. I went to the trouble of setting everything up and found that I simply did not have the confidence to follow through with the modifications as thoughts of reading various post here concerning accidents/mishaps while using the router and router table went through my mind. Through reading these posts I have learned some very valuable information as to safety that I would have otherwise never known, i.e. you always want the cutting edge of the bit making contact with the wood on the side closest to you. But what I found is that I am reluctant to use the router and router table because of my fear of losing a finger or two. If I am not absolutely certain that I can maintain control of the piece, then I will forgo the cut. Given, I have a very cheap Vermont American router table which does not accept feather boards—I plan on purchasing a new table eventually.

What would you call this: Fear or a true respect for the tool? And if it is truly a respect for the tool, then where does one draw the line in learning and understanding the tool's abilities and simply being stupid? :confused:

Thanks for the input!

Don Dean
11-14-2006, 8:27 AM
Tim, I call it both. A good amount fear of a tool brings respect for that tool. If the fear is out of control then that would be another problem and possible misuse of a tool that ends up in an accident. Knowledge of a tool brings safety and respect of a tool. My .02.

Aaron Beaver
11-14-2006, 8:43 AM
My biggest fear is not using the router as much as it is screwing the pieces up, especially if you don't have any extra of that wood laying around. I have not used my router table enough yet to know what I can and can't do but I hate having to make a new one.

Tyler Howell
11-14-2006, 8:49 AM
When in doubt, back out.:cool:
Has worked successfully for years in sailing, and using power toyls.
10 fingers, 10 toes.
There have been many days when projects have been delayed until I feel like firing up the equipment.
A few things that may build confidence is a ww class on the router table or have a mentor walk you through the process.;)

Ted Miller
11-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Tim, Exactly what Don said, its both, with fear has to come respect, that tool does not care if its cutting wood or bodyparts. I have to admit that I still to this day always have scrap wood laying around for a bit of pratice especially with new bits on the router. I really like to plan out my projects well so I do not have to make changes once I am into the project, but I will right down what changes I want to make to the next project that I should have done on this one I am currently working on. Thats one thing I love about woodworking, every project is a little bit different no matter how many times you make those cabinets, doors or tables...

Al Willits
11-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm with Tyler on this one, go take classes and learn the correct way to use a power tool, they are dangerous if used improperly, and knowing the correct way to use a tool will make it much safer, it will also create the confidence to use the tool.
See if you have a adult education program or a Woodcraft/Rockler in the neighbohood maybe.

fwiw I feel a bit of worry when I use a power tool and it keeps me thinking, "am I doing this right?" I hope I keep that little bit of worry too.

Try going slow and take your time, better a safe tomm that a mistake today.

Good luck.

Al

Ken Werner
11-14-2006, 12:09 PM
When the voice in your head says "wait, I'm scared" you will do well to listen to it. Injuries often happen when we knowingly do something just a little dangerous, when tired or rushing. Learn to heed the inner voice, and you'll likely spare yourself harm.

That's not to diminish the quest for skill and competency either. Learn as much as you can, but listen to your gut too.

Just my $.02.

Ken

Jerry Olexa
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd like to add: THINK before you cut or rout or joint, etc and go slowly if in doubt. Also, Concentrate on keeping your HANDS away from the cutting/routing blades and of course, USE safety devices.. Just MHO. Its when I'm rushing that I generally get into a risk situation..

John Renzetti
11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
hi, I agree with what the others said. When we start to do something different or very challenging their is both fear and respect for the particular tool. When I got one of my first major machines about 8 yrs ago, it was a combinaton saw/shaper. The shaper had an option to use either the big shaper spindle or pull that out and replace it with a high speed router spindle that turned at 16000rpm. The thought of all that steel from those heavy shaper cutters just plain scared me, so I started by just using the router spindle. Basically I had a real expensive router table.
Gradually I started using the shaper and various cutters and my confidence increased. I use the shaper regularly now and respect it like any other piece of machinery. I have a lot more confidence and do procedures that I wouldn't dream of years ago. But before starting the machine I go through a little drill where everything is double and triple checked.
take care,
John

Ron Blaise
11-14-2006, 1:14 PM
I have been working on a project for a few weeks now that continues to evolve as I progress through it. Last night I realized something as I decided to make some cosmetic changes to the appearance of the project. I decided to pull out the router and table to add different profiles to the project. I went to the trouble of setting everything up and found that I simply did not have the confidence to follow through with the modifications as thoughts of reading various post here concerning accidents/mishaps while using the router and router table went through my mind. Through reading these posts I have learned some very valuable information as to safety that I would have otherwise never known, i.e. you always want the cutting edge of the bit making contact with the wood on the side closest to you. But what I found is that I am reluctant to use the router and router table because of my fear of losing a finger or two. If I am not absolutely certain that I can maintain control of the piece, then I will forgo the cut. Given, I have a very cheap Vermont American router table which does not accept feather boards—I plan on purchasing a new table eventually.

What would you call this: Fear or a true respect for the tool? And if it is truly a respect for the tool, then where does one draw the line in learning and understanding the tool's abilities and simply being stupid? :confused:

Thanks for the input!
is get rid of your Vermont table. I had one and I don't blame you for not liking it. I think the dang things are dangerous themselves. Make or invest in a good, solid table and learn how to use safety features that will protect you. Your confidence level will improve as you learn. A certain amount of fear is healthy because it leads to a respect for tools that bite!
Ron

Doug Shepard
11-14-2006, 1:34 PM
You wouldn't walk up to a strange dog you don't know with your fingers out. You want to keep your appendages away from them sharp teeth. Once you get to know the dog and develop mutual respect for each other, you can slowly touch it in more places with confidence that it's a safe manuever. It takes time, but eventually the only problem is to clean up the doody.

Kent Fitzgerald
11-14-2006, 3:00 PM
Tim, I avoided the router for a while after a near-miss when a bit slipped in the the collet and worked its way up through a piece I was dadoing on the router table. Half by planning and half by luck, my fingers were safely away from the bit, but it was a sobering experience. I started looking for alternatives to the router for most tasks.

After some time passed, I realized my router aversion was a combination of concern for safety and dislike of the noise and dust of routing. Since then, I've:

- Upgraded to a quieter router with a better collet
- Switched over to 1/2" shank bits almost exclusively
- Built a better router table
- Added a good fence (Incra)
- Hooked up dust collection
- Gotten rigorous about using push blocks and eye and ear protection

It's still not my favorite, and I treat it with healthy respect, but with these improvements, I think the router is as safe as any other major power tool.

I'd suggest that you take good look at how to maxmize your router table safety procedures. You mentioned that the table "does not accept feather boards," but where there's a will, there's a way. Shop-made featherboards clamped to the table and fence should do the job. No reason to get your fingers near the bit.

If you still don't feel comfortable with the router, there's always another way to do things.

Frank Fusco
11-14-2006, 3:02 PM
My former doctor once told me about some of the accidents he saw in his emergency room from tools and chain saws. He was very descriptive. He scared the [explitive deleted] outa me. Whenever I pick up my chain saw I deliberatly think back to what he said and keep myself a little scared. Same with power tools. My son is now a doctor (emergency room) and has told me about some of the things he has seen. I keep that in mind. I may be a bit overboard on the issue though. Just looking at my tablesaw, blade down, turned off and unplugged, grabs my gut. I use the rule: "If I THINK my fingers MIGHT be too close to the blade, they are."

Sam Chambers
11-14-2006, 4:00 PM
Tim, I understand what you're going through. Those of us who are basically self-taught can go one of two ways when using tools - Dangerously naive and overconfident, or overly cautious. Obviously, you're better off with the latter, even if it does get in the way of getting the project done.

When flesh and bone are around sharp, spinning metal things, it pays to be cautious. If I'm not confident I can make the cut safely, I don't make the cut. If necessary, I'll practice with larger workpieces until I'm comfortable with the procedure.

I don't remember where I heard it, but here's a bit of sage wisdom...If it doesn't look safe, it probably isn't.

Jim Benante
11-14-2006, 5:33 PM
I am always scared (read respectful) of my tools, but I use the fear to motivate me to learn about proper techniques and safety precautions. There will always be danger and all we can do is try to understand it so that we can avoid it.

I often find myself questioning friends when they come over to help me and are using my tools. Some get a little annoyed, but I think most understand my intentions. I usually ask them to hold on for a moment while we think this through or I say things like "is that safe" or aren't you worried about this or that. I really respect the go getters they get things done, but unless I see someone contemplate their actions aorund power tools and chainsaws I seem to get nervous and want to take a step back for a moment.

Fear is not something to be ashamed of unless you allow it to consume you.

Ian Gillis
11-14-2006, 6:04 PM
I personally feel that there's no place in the shop for fear. Fear affects concentration, causes muscles to tense up. If you are afraid to proceed with an operation, it's time to back up the bus and think of another approach. That could mean getting a helper to support a heavy piece, taking the time to build a jig, thinking if you can do the job with another tool.

If you're scared about doing it, there's probably a good reason. It might seem trivial to others, but if it's real to you, that's what counts. Seek information on what you want to do. Use the forum or the library - buy a book or a DVD.

I was lucky that I learned power tool woodworking in a professional setting and had experienced people around me to warn me of the dangers and check my setups. I only had 1 visit to the ER in 5+ yrs of full time woodworking and that was a case of my thinking that I had a better idea than the journeyman who was helping me. That was in the first 3 months or so - after that I became a much better listener.

Bottom line - if you're unsure whether you can safely perform the operation, shut 'er down and seek guidance. Fingers and eyes are irreplacable.

Cheers

Cody Colston
11-14-2006, 6:15 PM
When you learn the proper method of using your tools, you will lose your fear of them. Hopefully, you won't ever get so comfortable as to lose your respect.

Anyone who doesn't have a healthy respect for a hand-held power tool that is spinning a razor-sharp cutter at ~22,000 rpm is either ignorant or crazy, IMHO.

Norm has a two-part series on router use...both hand-held (fixed and plunge base) and table mounted. As a matter of fact, the table mounted router episode comes on this saturday on our local PBS station. It might be worthwhile to watch and could possibly raise your confidence.

Allen Bookout
11-14-2006, 6:45 PM
I get a little nervous about some operations on a router table but I minimize my exposure to injury, therefore I use it more and more. I think that a rock solid table and a fence that absolutely will not move are essential. Then I add a Gripper and a coping sled and I can do most things safely. I am going to order a small parts holder to add to my safety devices.

Bob Childress
11-15-2006, 7:39 AM
Some great advice in this thread. :) It's simple, really:

If you think you'll mess up the project, practice with scrap wood.
If you think you'll mess up your fingers, sit down and re-think your approach.

My first router table was an aluminum Skil table. It wasn't very good but at least it would take featherboards. If you can't use featherboards and/or push blocks, etc. I would go ahead and build/buy another table.

One thing--if you are afraid (not just wary, but AFRAID:eek: ) of a process, don't do it! Fear causes us to lose our concentration, get distracted from what we are supposed to be watching, and raises the likelihood of an accident.

Mark Singer
11-15-2006, 9:06 AM
Routers are oten not view as dangerous as other machines like a tablesaw....they are! A lot of things can happen....I was just told of a recent accident where the bit was only held in the collet by 1/4"....it flew out and hit the knee and leg of the user....it was not good! The work piece on a router table can get pulled as the grain changes from parallel tp perpendicular and a lot of caution is needed. I bandsaw close to the line first...then I make several passes to minimize the forces acting on the wood. Think of the router as a final trimming tool that just removes a little at a time.

I have ,found in the shop, there are generally warnings.....a piece is pulled from your hand....the router grabs too strongly....stop ! These are lessons if you heed them. Listen carefully to the warnings!

It can happen to anyone! Remember that! Why did I buy a SawStop after working with cabinet saws for over 30 years? Not because I don't know how to use them.! Because i know what can happen! It can happen to anyone. ... Somethings I do in the shop very fast! Some things I go slow....safety is important at all times.

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:31 AM
When you learn the proper method of using your tools, you will lose your fear of them. Hopefully, you won't ever get so comfortable as to lose your respect.

Anyone who doesn't have a healthy respect for a hand-held power tool that is spinning a razor-sharp cutter at ~22,000 rpm is either ignorant or crazy, IMHO.

Norm has a two-part series on router use...both hand-held (fixed and plunge base) and table mounted. As a matter of fact, the table mounted router episode comes on this saturday on our local PBS station. It might be worthwhile to watch and could possibly raise your confidence.

I record his shows and the more I watch, the less respect I have for how he handles tools. I did see part 1 of the router series. He started by giving a safety lecture including hearing protection. Then, when he started to rout he didn't use hearing protection.
Not on the router show, but when he uses a miter saw he holds the wood cross-handed in front of the blade, gives me the heebee-jeebees just watching.

Frank Fusco
11-15-2006, 9:33 AM
BTW, to answer the question in the title to this thread, I believe a psychologist would say it is always "fear" that makes us cautious.
If we didn't care about cutting off fingers, we would handle things quite differently. It is how we use that fear that is important.