PDA

View Full Version : Universal Lasers - One last opinion

Dave Simms
11-14-2006, 6:06 AM
It's 5:00 a.m. here in New Jersey and I have spent the better part of the night (again) reading everything that I can about buying the correct laser. I stumbled onto the Bowling Green University Web pages http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/technology/cat/lfl/equip/hardware.html#lasercutter
in order to read one last review of the Trotec Speedy 3. I had narrowed my search to Epilog 36 Ext vs the Trotec (both at 60 Watts). While BGSU hasn't yet posted their Trotec report, I see that their student laboratories use Universal 300 lasers. I had early on dismissed the ULS machines because their "choice of machine colors" just seemed a bit flakey (everyone else talks of motors and optics while ULS wants to know if you want "powder blue" or some other cheesey color). That said, I see the University seems to think that the ULS machines can even hold up to dozens of different student-users each day. That certainly says something about the durability of the machine or perhaps the ease of maintanance. I know that there are many threads here about ULS machines but if anyone would like to comment on my thinking regarding the BGSU use of the ULS as a Lab Machine, I would appreciate it.

Ed Lang
11-14-2006, 9:42 AM
I bought a ULS 50w M-300 a year ago. I am sure glad I did.

Solid built machine, nothing poor about the build that I can find. Software is solid for us.

Laser Tube is just a snap in replacement. No special tools or guages needed to replace it. From what I can tell on the forum, my 50W tube will be a lot less than what the other here are posting for the Epilog units. I paid more up front for my machine than they did, but down the road it looks like I will come out ahead in total cost.

Local rep spent a day with us after machine got here. I wanted to drive to the airport and pickup my machine so I would have it over a long weekend. The sales rep took care of calling the shipping company and set up everything for me to get a large discount on shipping since I was going to drive to them. All of this is after the sale as I had intended to have it arive at my door. Universal delivered it ahead of schedule. My sales rep spent time with me on the phone making sure I was able to get the machine up and running since we had scheduled him to be here a week later. I told him not to come and give us time to use the machine and have questions ready for him. He was ready to come out early and help.

I had one pulley that I didn't like the looks of on one belt. I called the factory support line and they sent out two replacements right away. This is the only support I have needed after the machine was installed.

My machine runs from 7AM to 6PM Monday - Friday and I cut almost 100% wood. My optics do not get dirty like I expected them too.

My vector table does get a lot of mess from cutting so much but Simple Green or Crud Cutter gets it like new real easy.

Enjoy your new machine!

Ed

Feel free to give me a call if you like.

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Dave, where in NJ are you?

Mitch
Stirling, Morris Co.

Mike Mackenzie
11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Dave,

We have several Universities using our equipment including USC, UCLA, Art Center college of design, UC Irvine, Cal State Long Beach, Otis art College, Stanford University, Yale University, Harvard.

There are more and I am sure if you wanted to contact them they would be more than happy to talk about the systems.

I know that the universities out here have multiple systems, they are set-up for all of the students to come in and use.

Dave Jones
11-14-2006, 5:05 PM
Dave,
Something that you may or may not have noticed about ULS is that they market the Versalaser, the one I think you're talking about with the different color cases, through a number of different places that do not carry the rest of the ULS line. I gather that the Versalaser is being primarily marketed at beginners, light users, small offices, etc... Hence the look of it being a selling point. Plus when sold through those types of outlets it is supplied with a simplified driver where you simply pick the material and go.

But ULS also sells a full line of more industrial lasers that are along the same lines as the rest of the companies. Those are marketed more to professionals and industrial users. The places that sell those also sell the Versalaser, and offer a more comprehensive driver for it aimed at the more professional user.

I don't have a ULS, but it is a worthy company with products that are as good as any other of the major laser companies. Don't rule them out on first impression because of the way they market that one series.

Joe Pelonio
11-14-2006, 5:23 PM
Dave,

We have several Universities using our equipment including USC, UCLA, Art Center college of design, UC Irvine, Cal State Long Beach, Otis art College, Stanford University, Yale University, Harvard.

There are more and I am sure if you wanted to contact them they would be more than happy to talk about the systems.

I know that the universities out here have multiple systems, they are set-up for all of the students to come in and use.
Some sales people should talk to the Art Institutes. I do some work for some of the design students at the Art Institute of Seattle, and they
have had a hard time finding people to do their cutting. I wouldn't miss them if the school provided them with a laser, they can be a real PIA
with their messed up DWG and DXF files and are always in a hurry.

Jeanette Brewer
11-15-2006, 1:58 PM
Dave,

We'd be glad to provide as many university contacts as you have time to contact that own Epilog Lasers.

Just let me know!