PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished the Router Table

Craig Walls
11-14-2006, 2:21 AM
I have been working without a router table for too long and finally found a design I liked. It came from Bruce Kieffer in Woodworker's Journal. What intrigued me was the hidden lift in the base. It consists of an Acme threaded rod that moves a carriage with 4 inclined planes (wedges) against a dolly platform with castors on the bottom side and identical wedges on the other. The lift travels 3" and gives a 1" downward push which lifts the cabinet. Everything else in the shop has mobile bases and it was nice to end up with a clean look on this.

Anyhow, the cabinet is oak ply and all the internals are solid oak except for a little MDF. Top is 2 pieces MDF and laminate on each side with oak trim on the sides. I used a Woodpecker lift with a PC 7518. It's pretty dang heavy which I like. Can't wait to give it a go! Thanks for looking. Craig

Chuck Hanger
11-14-2006, 5:31 AM
Craig,
Finished mine (designed from about 5 different ones) about 3 months ago. Really takes routing to a new level of ease.
Enjoy,
Chuck

Don Dean
11-14-2006, 8:31 AM
Nice and good looking router table. Looks like you will be getting a lot of use and enjoyment from your efforts.

Jason Morgan
11-14-2006, 8:35 AM
Craig,

Looks nice! Cool idea for the adjustable lift. Ive not seen that befor in a RT. That would be nice for having extra height and yet be able to lower it to use for outfeed, etc.

I just finished my a few months ago and love it more every time I use it.

Jason

Craig Walls
11-14-2006, 8:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. It was a much bigger job than I realized. It's funny, many steps in building it would have been much easier had I already had a table, especially the fence pieces!

Jim Becker
11-14-2006, 8:31 PM
That's a very nice design, Craig. I suspect you'll get a LOT of use out of it, too!

Zahid Naqvi
11-14-2006, 8:52 PM
It's a ver nice table Craig, but I have a strong objection to how clean your shop is;) please spread some sawdust around you are making us look bad.

glenn bradley
11-14-2006, 8:57 PM
Lookin' good! Looks like you had a lot of fun with the drawers. Cool mobil base idea too.

jonathan snyder
11-14-2006, 9:02 PM
Craig,

Looks great. I see the drawer fronts match the dawer fronts on your bench!

Jonathan

Corey Hallagan
11-14-2006, 9:56 PM
Excellent work! Looks like it will do the job and more.

Corey