PDA

View Full Version : Dave Hout Threading Attachment

Brad Kimbrell
11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, new turner here and trying to soak up as much as I can from the threads...

I saw Dave Hout hosing a show called "Woodturning Techniques" on DIY several Saturdays ago. He was using an electric machine to cut threads around the inside and outside of a turned box.

I have searched the web to see one of these machines and a price but am unable to find one???

Anyone out there know what this is and if it is worth whatever they get for them?

Thanks!

Bill Boehme
11-14-2006, 1:24 AM
....... I saw Dave Hout hosing a show called "Woodturning Techniques" ............

I bet that he just hates it when that happens :D.

Seriously, it sounds more like Dave Hout may have been using a threading jig. Bonnie Klein sells them on her web site and Best Wood Tools also has a similar tool. The ones that I am thinking about mount on the bed of a lathe, but they are not electric powered machines -- the cutter is installed in a Jacob's chuck which is driven by the lathe's spindle. If you buy them, they are terribly expensive, but they are not vry complicated and you can design your own version for a fraction of the cost of buying one.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
11-14-2006, 8:41 AM
FWIW, Richard Raffan uses a threading machine in his "Turning Boxes" DVD but I do not recall the brand name. It looks expensive. I'd be surprised if it was priced under a couple hundred.

Dennis Peacock
11-14-2006, 11:17 AM
There's some wood threading tools in the new Packard woodworking catalog. Doesn't seem to bad expense wise. All manual, no electric power needed except for the lathe.

Lee DeRaud
11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
They don't give a source for the threading widget on DIY's website, but it looks pricey, and definitely not shop-built (unless you're a master machinist).

The cutter itself is spun by the lathe, held in a collet chuck. The rest of the widget replaces the tailstock and has micro-adjustments for positioning and gears to move/rotate the workpiece into the cutter at the precise rates needed to cut the threads. If I remember from the show, the threads he was cutting were very fine, on the order of 15-20 TPI.

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2006, 3:37 PM
Lee I think you are right on the DIY threader. Also the one Raffan uses I think is a Taig lathe.