PDA

View Full Version : First Turning off the New Lathe

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2006, 8:29 PM
Had a blank of curly maple glued up and waiting for the arrival of the new lathe. Today was my first chance to get to it. 50081 50082 50083

Lathe is really nice to use but it will take me a little time to figure out what speeds I want to use. Before this I only had two basic speeds for bowls - very fast and screaming fast! What a treat to just dial in a speed that worked!

Wood used is from an old warped curly maple plank from my BIL. Who knew you could get anything from it? Bowl is 7 3/8" x 1 7/8" by about 3/16" thick (just a little thicker at the bottom).
50084 50085
So far only my wife and my folks are the only ones to see any bowls that I have made - so please, be honest and let me know what I can do to improve my turnings.

Thanks for looking.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2006, 8:38 PM
Steve......Nicely done. Criticism.....that bowl being in your house instead of mine is the only thing I could think of .......Well done and a nice way to break in that new lathe.

Pete Jordan
11-13-2006, 8:42 PM
Steve,

Wonderful job on the bowl!
I saw you were in Michigan so I thought I would ask if I could stop over and take a look. I mapquested Harvey and found out you are a youper. Maybe sometime in the summer. If you get down around Lansing, look me up.

Pete

Corey Hallagan
11-13-2006, 8:43 PM
Looks good to me. Pretty little bowl, nice job!

Corey